June 2016 Moms

Has anyone used a doula in L&D? Your thoughts?

Wondering if any moms out there have used a doula in L&D and what your experience was like.

DH and I are first time parents so I'd feel more confident having an experienced helper in the room insofar as suggesting different positions to aid labor and pain management. (I bought some books on birthing, but seriously doubt DH is going to read any or retain the info so I'd end up in labor trying to explain to him how to help me...which wouldn't go well.) I also want someone to be able to advocate for me as DH - though I love him dearly and he's wonderful - is not always the most assertive person, and if the doctor/nurse is suggesting something that may be avoidable (thinking unnecessary procedures, etc.) I want to know all my options and have an informed, unbiased person on my side who's been through this. 
We're going to take some type of birthing class - thinking hypnobirth right now - but I'm wondering if the right doula would be an aid in the birthing process while still allowing DH an active role. 

Any shared experience is appreciated!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Has anyone used a doula in L&D? Your thoughts?

• edited December 2015
    Key word being "right" doula. I highly recommend meeting with more than 1 so you can get an idea of personality and if you will feel comfortable with her during labor. We used a doula for our first birth and went with the first one we met with. She seemed nice and professional and seemed like she would be a good advocate for us during labor. However the poor woman was useless for me in pain management. I had strong back labor and DH had to apply counter pressure with all of his strength for me to get any kind of relief. She just kept trying to rub my back.  I had to tell her to just let DH do it. She kind of was just there but not doing anything after that and made me kind of uncomfortable and wish she wasn't there.

ETA: Both of  my labors were in a hospital. For my second labor, we decided to go without the doula and we were fine. Actually, my second labor was completely different, no back labor, so I didn't even want DH touching me during a contraction. LOL. My point is you have to go in with the right mindset, don't think you NEED another person in the room to get through it. Just listen to your body and you will most likely figure out what you need to get through labor.

DS-7
    DD-4

Pregnancy Ticker