November 2015 Moms
Options

Holiday Horrors

I hope everyone's having a wonderful Christmas but I know that alot of us have some great stories to tell! I thought with everyone celebrating the holidays having somewhere to share our holiday horror stories would be great!

My family celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve so yesterday I was over at my grandparents house & my grandpa asked to hold LO. Well idk what was going on in my grandpas head but he tried to put my 1 month old baby in a toy shopping cart & wasn't supporting his head or anything. He was also trying to give him to a 2 year old to hold. I walked back in to the living room & seen my LO's head flopping around & my entire family staring at my grandpa in horror but no one told him anything of course. I told my grandpa that what he was doing was not okay & took LO for a diaper change but he didn't seem to understand what he did wrong. Let's just say my grandpa & I aren't on the best terms anymore..

Re: Holiday Horrors

• Options
    Wow! Yea, I can't imagine what these people are thinking except that maybe they forget how fragile infants are?!
    My FIL keeps trying to make my 4 week old crawl, and every time I feed him he insists that I just fed him and he doesn't need to eat (as the baby is screaming his head off).
    I just want to scream, back off buddy- he's my baby and I'll decided when to feed him!
  • Options
    Omg that's scary. Maybe he's senial?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dear lord I needed somebody to make this freaking thread. I'm so upset today. I promised I wouldn't complain but I'm so frustrated that I need to vent somewhere and my mom is so judgemental I don't want to even attempt to vent to her. Lately when we are at my in laws I've noticed that as soon as Arlo wakes up they shove his soother in his mouth and won't give him to me to feed him. So he sits in his wet diaper and fusses with the soother in his mouth until I have to tell them for the 5th time that he's hungry. I've just been kind of ignoring it and trying to just grab him first when he wakes up. So we spent Christmas Eve at their house. My fiancé woke up bitchy. Demanded I was ready to leave the house by the time he got back from the store even though Arlo was still sleeping and would need to be fed soon. We all know how well getting out of the house goes when you're trying to plan something. I reminded him that we were on LO's schedule and I wasn't disturbing him to make it convenient. He seemed to snap out of it for awhile. Fast forward to the in laws where all was going well except my fiancé got way too drunk and when I asked him to grab a bottle from the fridge to warm he told me he would when he was done eating. Which I thought was awful. I constantly stop eating to feed our LO or hold off on going to the bathroom. I just about lost it on him. Fast forward to later in the night and I realize that my fiancé didn't bring our cats food dish in, didn't give him any water and had expected his parents to do it. (We brought our cat with us because we were spending the night) I then am furious because at this point my fiancé is so drunk he is puking. I had prepared to have some wine by pumping and bringing some bottles, but had to stop after two small glasses of wine because i believe one of us needed to be sober. So now I am furious! Not to mention I kept getting my baby taken away from me or pushed to sit down and relax even though he was fussy and obviously wanted snuggles with his mommy. We finally go to bed and at 5am much to my fiances displeasure I smacked him with a slipper and made him feed the cat. Which was a wild goose chase because he expected me to keep track of all of the cats food and drunkenly misplaced it and was upset that I made him feel bad. I finally told him that he was a parent and I was so mad that he was so irresponsible. That whether or not he decided to drink he needed to ensure that he was still in control and I was disappointed in him. We finally got up to open presents and I still had a bottle left over for Arlo to eat so I decided to have some coffee and Baileys. When Arlo woke up he wouldn't eat the bottle, and then my mother in law decided that she would have better luck feeding him and took him away from me again! Arlo fussed and fussed and wouldn't stop crying until he was back in my arms. Still wouldn't eat from the bottle though. I passed him off to my fiancé because I figured he was tired of not being held by one of us. My mother in law then took him again and rocked him to sleep. Then forced him into the swing. Where he has spent most of Christmas morning and Christmas Eve. He's used to being held or sleeping on the bed or couch so he isn't sleeping restfully. I'm becoming more frustrated that they keep shoving him in the swing when I'm more than willing to be holding him. He then wakes up half an hour later, still hungry from not eating, and my mother in law once again shoves the soother in his mouth even though I've told her he's probably hungry and it's safe to breast feed him now. Then won't give him back until he's so fussy that my fiancé takes him from her. I'm now holding him hostage because he was insanely happier in my arms and after feeding from me. He's had a good nap and feeding again and Ive loudly announced that he probably needed to be near me because he hasn't spent any time with me. Basically I'm frustrated with my fiancé, and his mom. I'm tired of the soother being used to stop him from fussing over EVERYTHING to the point that I'm hiding it. He only sucks on it when he wants to be soothed to sleep. It shouldn't be forced into his mouth every second he's not on my boob. I'm tired of him being taken from me when he so obviously just wants the comfort of my arms, and im sick of him being forced into the swing every second he's finally fallen asleep. Vent over. Sorry for any run on sentences. It feels so good to get that all out. I am definitely going to be having choice words with my fiancé later at home.
  • Options
    My 2-year-old niece who is baby crazy has a hacking cough and keeps trying to touch the baby. I'm so glad I brought my moby wrap
  • Options
    Woke up with a sore throat and it hurt to eat all that yummy food. Ate it anyway.
  • Options
    DH's parents are divorced but everyone comes to our house for brunch on Christmas morning. MIL wasn't even through our doorway when she was already bitching to my FIL about how he didn't mail something she needs to gain ownership of her vehicle that was previously in his name. Like really? It's Christmas.
  • Options
    Not really a horror, more of a complaint. Like many of you ladies I am BFing and I give zero F's about who sees me while I do it in public. Nonetheless, DH relatives like to prepare a room for me to use, great, thanks. I do appreciate the room as it is nice when LO is overstimulated or I need to change him. However, please don't come and remind me of its existence while I'm sitting on the couch feeding him. I know it's there and will use it when I need it, but I do not care to spend three hours of our family Christmas alone in a cold dark room listening to everyone enioy themselves.
  • Options
    @taykerslake my fiancé got super drunk on the 23rd & slept through Xmas eve & Xmas & is still sleeping right now. He's so hung over I found out that my uncle passed last night in his sleep so I woke him up to tell him he said "is that all u woke me up for?" I'm so annoyed I can't wait til he's over this hang over to let him have it.
  • Options
    My husband's family is great, but there are a lot of them and they are loud. Babe is seven weeks old, and while she's not on a schedule we definitely have a nice routine going at home which is just completely upended while we're staying here (4 days); so I feel like she hasn't been eating or sleeping as well and is fussier than usual. To cap it off, I seem to be coming down with a sore throat. Again, I really do love his family, but I'm so glad to be heading home tomorrow.
  • Options
    @RaisingJulian sometimes they can be so great and other times they are so irresponsible and selfish that I can't believe they are helping us raise babies!
  • Options
    JLW0504JLW0504 member
    edited December 2015
    @taykerslake Have you tried a Moby or a Boba wrap? Maddie's pedi suggested this to me for when I take Maddie to big gatherings. This way, it keeps greedy hands or irresponsible hands from getting to her.

ETA: tagging people makes others know who I'm asking questions to.

photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Not baby related/ I gave it 12 hours and I'm still livid.

My younger BIL is the douchiest douche to ever douche. We'll call him toad, his wife is fly, and their daughter tadpole.

We got chosen to host the dad/brother get together this Christmas (with 2 hours notice - thanks FIL but whatever). Toad and Fly have been rocky for what feels like forever. It's the typical cringeworthy story - they started dating, she got pregnant quickly, and he "did the right thing" and married her. Toad has his own issues, but Fly comes from an extremely abusive home. She has serious social anxiety, can't drive, and has never had a job. As a result, Tadpole was very far behind developmentally until this past year when she started pre-k. Like never talked behind, but she's much better now. Also relevant - we live within a mile and a half of both Toad and my other BIL.

Anyway, Tadpole was napping at noon so Toad drove over without them. When they were ready to come over he made Fly ride her bike over with the little tent-carrier thing for Tadpole to ride in. By this point it's 4pm and we haven't eaten and haven't done presents. We decide to go eat at older BIL's place in a little bit since he had to take off and go feed his son. So Fly finally gets there and we go do their presents. After a few minutes of peace and Fly finally coming out of her shell for the first time in the almost five years I've known her - Toad starts berating her for not listening to him. He told her to start pedaling to other BIL's place so that she'd be there when we got there. We offered to let her ride with us and we could just put her bike in Toad's truck. Nope. So she leaves, SO and I are pissed, and Toad is going on and on about how she needs to learn. It got worse later, but I'm ranting now.

Cliff notes: One of my BILs is a shitty human being. I hope he got another DUI last night. I told my SO that when he's ready to see his brother again that it won't be at our house because he's not welcome on our property.
  • Options
    The entire time we were opening gifts my FIL walked around with a trash bag snatching wrapping paper before it was even fully off the gifts saying things like, "I don't know why we wrap gifts. It's a waste." and "This is what I get for Christmas, cleaning up this mess." Idk if its hormones from BF or what, but I told him he was the biggest complainer I'd ever met and that this was supposed to be a joyous occasion. He then raised his voice at me saying he never complains... I'm sure he complained about me after we left.
  • Options
    sadyy131sadyy131 member
    edited December 2015
    Thank the lord almighty that my baby cluster feeds. Never thought I'd say it but seriously, I didn't even care that I was in a room by myself for most of the night (my dress wasn't really breastfeeding compatible so it involved having to take it off). After being tossed around and told all of the things I do wrong as a parent, I could not wait to hold her and have a reason to deny everyone access to holding her.
    But sure enough when my SIL gets there, she doesn't even ask, she literally takes LO from my arms. When my SO made a comment about how her son got us sick when she dropped him off to be babysat for the day, she got so defensive and stated that there was no way. I was pretty pissed because baby has been sick for over a week now and she's over there telling us that the baby has too much phlegm and we need to suction (even though we do) and were like well it's your fault! Don't allow your sick son around our newborn. I'm still kicking myself because I know it's my fault as well for not standing up for myself in the first place and telling her to come pick up her kid.

On a side note, my baby almost got clawed to death. My SO's little siblings caught a stray kitten outside. His little brother is generally an idiot, and a little creepy. He's always kissing me and touching my arms in affectionate ways, and he's 11. It went from cute to creepy real fast. Anyways, he's generally not smart. He never thinks to wash his hands before putting them in the babies face, and has almost kissed her on the lips a few times if I hadn't stopped him. And he always has to touch her when she's asleep, like please let the kid sleep. So anticipating that either SO's younger brother or sister would try to put the cat near the baby, I told them no in advance. So low and behold, I walk out of the living room for a second while the baby is sleeping and this little brat puts the kitten in the baby carrier right next to the baby's face. I was so furious, I yelled at him right there. Like how could that ever seem like a good idea?
  • Options
    @taykerslake yes! My LO eats every two hours, get over it.
  • Options
    My first Christmas with my baby has been really damaged by my husbands family. Mainly his spoiled brat of a sister who is 25 going on 13. They decided to rent a house super close to us for a week and I am now seriously overwhelmed by having them around at my house all day every day. I don't get any down time with my Dh and my baby. They are here all the time and my MIL keeps hogging the baby and they keep messing up the house and I'm constantly cleaning as I HATE clutter.
    Anyway on xmas his sister was so angry. Spoiled and negative she really made me feel horrible all day and it resulted in a massive fall out where I had to leave the room with the baby as I had enough. They are still here for another 3 days and I don't think I can cope. I keep crying because I need my space and I won't have any time with my husband just us whilst he is off work. Grrr.
  • Options
    3 times my 11-year-old niece pulled the car seat cover off the car seat so she could see my son as he napped (after being told each time to leave him alone since he was sleeping). 3 times she woke him up. He's already overstimulated and overtired. Stop interrupting the little sleep he's getting!

Also Zeke had a bad case of really painful gas that would not come out so he was screaming in pain. My mil was trying to calm him (kindly/gently/well) but I couldn't help but cry (eyes watering not full on sobs or anything) because it was hurting me to see him in pain and know I couldn't fix it. She and my husband decided to try to console me and told me not to cry because it would make things worse for Zeke. I know they were just trying to make me feel better and get me to stop crying but I honestly didn't (and still don't) see anything wrong with being sad that my little guy was in so much pain. I'm his mother. I'm going to want to fix everything. I know I won't be able to but that doesn't change that urge. When he hurts, I hurt and I think that's a good thing in terms of feeling connected to my child
  • Options
    rachswi said:

3 times my 11-year-old niece pulled the car seat cover off the car seat so she could see my son as he napped (after being told each time to leave him alone since he was sleeping). 3 times she woke him up. He's already overstimulated and overtired. Stop interrupting the little sleep he's getting!

Also Zeke had a bad case of really painful gas that would not come out so he was screaming in pain. My mil was trying to calm him (kindly/gently/well) but I couldn't help but cry (eyes watering not full on sobs or anything) because it was hurting me to see him in pain and know I couldn't fix it. She and my husband decided to try to console me and told me not to cry because it would make things worse for Zeke. I know they were just trying to make me feel better and get me to stop crying but I honestly didn't (and still don't) see anything wrong with being sad that my little guy was in so much pain. I'm his mother. I'm going to want to fix everything. I know I won't be able to but that doesn't change that urge. When he hurts, I hurt and I think that's a good thing in terms of feeling connected to my child

It kills me when my little guy is crying and upset. There has been a couple times that he has cried so hard I can hear it turn into a different cry that is even more upset.
    It is one of the worst things ever!
  • Options
    Comparitively speaking to some of your guy's experiences, my holidays were pretty smooth!
    Typical over stimulated baby being passed around to everyone! Lol
    For the most part, everyone was for any me back my baby! But it's crazy that to me that there is a newborn, barely 4 week old baby in the house, yet people still see the need to talk at full volume!
    I get over stimulated very easily as well, so I feel like I was super anxious and just kept wanting to take my baby.
    Plus, he cluster feeds like all the time. When I'm at home, he is nursing so often. So for two days in a row, away from home, he's wanting to be attatched to my boob...
    Uugh, sorry if this in nonsensical rambling..
  • Options
    rachswi said:

You are absolutely allowed to cry when you know baby is hurting. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

I've been dealing with a sick baby that is having a hard time breathing for well over a week. We were at the Children's emergency room yesterday and the doctor said there wasn't much they could do and I just cried and cried. She was so understanding and caring which totally caught me off guard compared to how everyone else treated me.

Sorry for the AW. It's totally okay to be sad when baby is sad. We have such a deep connection to our babies.
  • Options
    I don't know what's wrong with me but I feel Emotionally horrific right now. My husbands family booked a place to stay for a whole week over Christmas just down the road from our house without checking with us. It has driven me mad. I am now feeling emotionally vulnerable and exhausted after having them at my house all the time taking my baby and passing him like a parcel. Its their last night but I have cracked cause I feel sick and my baby is really uncomfortable and keeps screaming. I wanted my husband to just leave our baby here and to go to their cottage place himself so we can just rest but he wouldn't. Now I'm stuck upstairs as I am feeling socially anxious and my baby is downstairs being passed around. I can here him crying but I can't bring myself to go downstairs. I kinda just wanna get in the car and drive but their car has blocked mine in the driveway. I feel like a prisoner in my own home. :'(
  • Options
    Tealmoore said:

I don't know what's wrong with me but I feel Emotionally horrific right now. My husbands family booked a place to stay for a whole week over Christmas just down the road from our house without checking with us. It has driven me mad. I am now feeling emotionally vulnerable and exhausted after having them at my house all the time taking my baby and passing him like a parcel. Its their last night but I have cracked cause I feel sick and my baby is really uncomfortable and keeps screaming. I wanted my husband to just leave our baby here and to go to their cottage place himself so we can just rest but he wouldn't. Now I'm stuck upstairs as I am feeling socially anxious and my baby is downstairs being passed around. I can here him crying but I can't bring myself to go downstairs. I kinda just wanna get in the car and drive but their car has blocked mine in the driveway. I feel like a prisoner in my own home. :'(

Beyond sorry that you're feeling this way. It's almost over, but this is a clear indication that you need to set boundaries that you are comfortable with. YOU'RE the mom, that's YOUR child so no one should be making you feel anxious over setting limits. So either get down and take your baby and simply say LO needs a break or you want time with him and/or talk to your husband when they leave to make sure there is no repeat as by not speaking up your setting the precedent that it's okay to do this.