Toddlers: 24 Months+

Transitioning to a new room...

My DS turned two in November and we are expecting LO #2 in February. We will be keeping the nursery that DS1 is in for the new baby and moving him into the spare room across the hall, with his big boy bed. DS is very inquisitive and will wake up in the middle of the night and talk to himself, bang on his crib sides and if he were able I am sure he would roam around the house. How do you keep your LO's safely in their rooms at night when they have the ability to get out of bed and wander? DS is not the type to wander into our room and wake us up because he is awake and I am afraid that if left to his own devices we will find him getting into things he shouldn't be getting into. Suggestions? FYI he opens all doors, and climbs baby gates....

View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
 7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
 2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

Re: Transitioning to a new room...

• We moved my son to a twin bed when he was a little over 2 and surprisingly, he never ever got out of his bed. We were lucky! If a baby gate in the doorway doesn't work, maybe put some of those baby proof door handle covers on his door?

• We made the transition to toddler bed back at the end of October for our DD in anticipation of our Feb baby (congrats to you!) Now she gets out of it on her own, but only in the morning. Her door is kept open, but we lock her in with a gate and that works.

If u think your son will get out of his room and wander, even with a gate on the door, make sure that level your floor is secure and baby safe and that there is some way that you are alerted if he does wander out of his room. Maybe an alarm of some kind, or a bell that you can hear if he opens certain doors, etc. If you are okay with the idea of him playing in his room (vs it being only for sleeping), then maybe some of his favorite toys in his room will keep him from wandering.

Give the new room and bed a try, but once you do it, dont go back to the crib. Good luck!

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!