Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Pills to help miscarriage

Hi everyone- so my baby had no heartbeat at 8w4d so my ob suggested I use the pills to start the miscarriage, since I had no other symptoms. I took two doses of the pills orally (5 pills thurs, 5 pills fri). During those two days I had bleeding/clots/tissue all coming out when I used the bathroom, along with mild cramping. I did not have nearly as much pain and bleeding as I was expecting. Is it still possible that my body cleared everything? I need to schedule a sonogram to ensure everything came out, otherwise I will need to have a d and c on top of all this :( anyone else who had experiences taking the pills would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Pills to help miscarriage

• Sorry for your loss.

Cytotec had no effect for me. I was given two doses after an ultrasound showed the sac was lodged in my cervical canal. Before the pills, I had lots of painful cramping and heavy bleeding along with some clots. The pills did nothing, in fact when I took them my bleeding slowed down to just spotting for a bit (I'm guessing the sac blocked the exit briefly). The next day I felt some pressure and was able to pass the sac with a push. The Cytotec didn't cause any cramping or further dilation as far as I can tell.

So not the news you're hoping for I'd guess. The only way to know if you've passed everything is to have a further ultrasound. Every miscarriage is different, so it is definitely possible you passed everything despite it not being what you expected.
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry for your loss! Everyone's experience is different, but for me, I found out at my 8w ultrasound that the baby stopped growing around 6.5 weeks. I took cytotech vaginally, 400 mg 4 times throughout the day on a Friday. I didn't have any symptoms except for mild cramping the whole day, I had some bleeding that night and a little Saturday but then it stopped. It was not what I was expecting at all! I figured it didnt work and I planned to call my ob on Monday to see what do do next. But then Sunday night I started bleeding again, like a heavy period with some clots but nothing awful. I continued to bleed for the next week or so then it tapered off. I had an ultrasound about 12 days after I took the cytotech and everything had passed so I didnt need any more intervention which was a relief. So it did work even though I had a much milder reaction then I was expecting. Depending when you took it you might want to wait to see if you start bleeding again, but definetely schedule another ultrasound at some point. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. So very sorry for your loss. It's possible that the pain wasn't too bad but you still passed everything. I've personally had contraction like pain during these experiences, not just period like cramps that they advise you of but some women fare better than others. Im not sure what to say about the not bleeding a lot. You usually bleed quite a bit, gushing and going through pads like crazy for at least a couple of hours. I didn't bleed as much this time as last time due to taking advil every 6 hrs for a few days to help with clotting, but it was still quite a bit more than just when I went to the bathroom. If there were HUGE clots (like half the size of your palm or bigger) then it could've worked. Both time I've done this, the first 2 days were the most eventful with clots/bleeding, then it stops for a few days and then I have another day or 2 of bleeding and clots. Last time it was complete and my follow up sono for this time is tomorrow.
    I would call your Dr. to make the sono appt. My sono the first time was for 1 week after, this one is 10 days after. The sooner they find out whether or not it worked, the sooner this frustrating part can be over. Wish you luck and healing!
  • Thanks everyone for your kindness and advice. I had a sonogram today and the sac was passed (thank god). She said there is still some leftover tissue and/or blood, so she gave me one more dose of pills to take this week. She is hoping that they will rid anything left so I don't have to go thru the surgery. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  • I'm sorry for your loss.

I used cytotec to induce my m/c after finding out we lost the baby. It took me 4 doses to get anything going and I did not have nearly the cramping or bleeding I was expecting. I was sure I was going to end up with a D&C but when I went for a follow-up u/s everything was gone except for what looked like a small clot. The clot passed with my first post-loss period.

I hope the next round of cytotec finishes the physical process for you so you don't need a D&C. If all that's left after the next round of pills is some blood/clots, they may be able to let you wait to see if it clears on its own with your first period.

Good luck and I'm sorry again for your loss.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Thank you for sharing your experience- hopefully I will follow along the same path as you with this last dose, so I do not have to have the d and c . Sorry for your loss as well :(
  • @kmingal my sono revealed some more small tissue/clots to pass. It happend last time too and it passed with my first AF. This time it is a little more but they still expect me to pass it either before first AF or during. Maybe you could ask the doctor if it dosn't work with the cytotec if you could hold off and wait so long as there isn't signs of an infection? Just a thought. Hope the rest of the proccess is over quickly!
  • Will do! Thank you for the advice :)