February 2016 Moms

White Noise Machines?!

Question, do I really need this?! All the lists said I did and 2 of my friends who have recently had babies, but I honestly can't remember ever even hearing of them until the last few years?! My one friend travels with her when they take their 8 month old on business trips.

I don't want my kid to be dependent on it or a light sleeper if she/ doesn't have it.

We registered for one and received it, but I'm questioning if it's really necessary...

Re: White Noise Machines?!

• We never used one, although we'd turn on a fan if it was hot or her humidifier which can be like white noise. I think as along as you have a routine in place for bed time baby will fall into that routine, white noise machine or not!
  • I don't plan on having one. Baby will be in our room for the first 4ish months since we're in a one bedroom till our lease ends in June and we like to have a little fan running for our own white noise anyways. All I know is babies and parents survived without white noise machines for however many hundreds of years, so it seems more like a perk to me. But if you've already got it you could always try it out and decide if you like it or not!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Loading the player...
  • We had one and only used it for a few months. You can download free white noise and noise machine apps on your phone if you look for them. I used that a ton in the first few months to help DS calm down from crying sometime.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't get one until my twins were around 6 months and only to try and keep other noise out to help with sleeping. They still use it (2yrs) but they aren't dependent upon it. I think it's one of those things you don't NEED but some people like to have them.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • a lot of adults like having a noise of some kind so I look at it like that. It can be nice, but it's definitely not a necessity.

A few nights ago I could NOT fall asleep until I turned on my sounds app and I was out in probably 5 minutes because the rhymic sounds help to filter out other thoughts and sounds so based on that alone we got one for the nursery and we were gifted one that hooks onto the stroller

*Kate*

February 2016

• We used one. It worked for us. I don't turn it on all the time. It also helped when my son had colic! I use the ocean waves sound, so that it's not such the same continuous sound. I read some stuff on them on babies/kids having trouble focusing after using them all of the time with the sounds that are one continuous sound. That was over two years ago, so I don't have the links to show that. It's just what I remember reading.
  • Not exactly necessary but we used it and have found it helpful. DS' room is just off of the living room so we use it to block sounds from TV when he sleeps. (Read: Allows us to watch movies that may have foul language and I don't have to worry about DS overhearing)

• edited December 2015
    It's one of those things where people will tell you they're not necessary and kids will be dependent on them, and for some people (particularly those whose babies are naturally good sleepers) that's true, but sometimes real life will trump that. For example, when you want to vacuum or use the blender or even watch tv without worrying about waking up a baby who only naps for 30 minutes max. At first I wanted to be on team "they need to learn to sleep through noises," but after a few months of sleep deprivation, I was more team "whatever it takes to get baby to nap."
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We didn't buy one at first, then got a Dohm one out of desperation. It didn't make any difference. We sold that one and will just stick with our Cloud B Gentle Giraffe (which I'm not sure if it made any difference, either, but we used it off and on).

• Ummm... I just used the TV as background noise for DS1. He slept in the RNP in our room for the first three months so when he was sleeping I would just turn the tv on and let that serve as extra noise. 

View Full Size Image

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• I take issue with a lot of the baby stuff people supposedly "need", but I have to say, our white noise machine is one of the best things we got the first time around. Someone sent us a Sleep Sheep from America and we use it at bedtime and naptime - when my son wakes up in the middle of the night it helps get him back to sleep in minutes. I actually spent an hour online the other day trying to find someone who sells them here and I can't, so am getting two (our old one is not working great anymore) shipped to my mom and having her bring them with get when she next visits.
  • Thanks ladies!  It sounds like maybe I need to keep it around and just let the baby dictate to me whether or not it's something he/she will need/want. 
  • My DD loved her sleep sheep.
  • Love ours. Could we go without? Probably but I do think it helps my toddler nap longer. I also like that I don't have to worry as much about being quiet for fear of waking him up when it is on.
  • It isn a necessity; however, I loved ours. When I was helping DD transition to her crib in her room it made all the difference. She'd settle right down on the heartbeat or rain setting. She slept so much better when it was on which meant a much happier baby. She doesn't need white noise to fall asleep now but when she was a baby I think it was very comforting for her.
  • I think this is one of the many things where it depends on the baby.  We'll be getting one because I am addicted to white noise (I always sleep with a fan or white noise machine) and have been since I was a baby myself.  Since she'll be sleeping in a bassinet in our room, she may get used to my white noise machine, so we're getting one for the nursery too, when she transitions to her crib.

It also may be helpful for moms like myself who live in apartment buildings.  We have very thin walls, unfortunately, and I can't count on a silent house during nap time, so I'm looking forward to white noise drowning out whatever we can hear from the neighbors.  :)
  • We use one for our son. It's great because it drones out any other noises in the house or outside while he's sleeping. It was especially useful around the 4th of July, when there were fireworks going off at all hours of the night for weeks.