July 2015 Moms

Diaper Rash

Does anyone have any tips i haven't heard of? No matter matter what j do or how many things i try i cannot get rid of LO's rash. It never fully goes away despite the fact that i've tried all different over the counter treatments and natural remedies at home. Almost every cream on the market i feel like and none of them work on him. We need some kind of miracle product. I am just running out of options. He's got this redness and irritation mainly in the front, not really on his bottom at all. Maybe he just has majorly sensitive skin? Some days it looks better and then other times it is bright red and feels rough/scaly. Like a patch of eczema. But ive never once seen it gone since he started getting it (At around 3 months old) It doesn't seem to bother him i just feel bad that it's so badly irritated and nothing seems to help. I just want to fix it and make him better

Re: Diaper Rash

• Are you sure it's not a food allergy?
  • Baby's can also get a diaper yeast infection. Maybe possibly that?
  • Loading the player...
  • cls2015cls2015 member
    edited December 2015
    We had the same problem and tried everything. The key for us was to make sure her butt was completely dry before applying diaper cream. We started using the hair dryer on the low and cool settings and then applying blue A&D. It's worked very well for us. Good luck! I've heard many diaper rash stories; it seems like there is a different solution for every baby. Keep trying; you'll figure it out.
  • I hadn't thought of either of those as possibilities....How likely would it be that it's an allergic reaction to something? It's not anywhere else on his body. Could it be one of the creams we've used because we're not just sticking to one obviously, we have been mixing them. That includes corn starch
  • Have you tried Aquaphor healing ointment advanced therapy for dry, chapped irritated skin for baby? It relieves diaper rash or irritation within 6 hours. I use this on my LO when his butt gets red from pooping mainly if he has been constipated and has a harder stool it works wonders. My sister used it on her LO when she had an extreme diaper rash and it got rid of it overnight.
  • Ok that tells me its not diaper rash because we have been using this all along. Not sure where to go from here...Should i call his doctor if it doesn't clear up in a few more days ?
  • How long has it been for? You might want to call if it has already been more than 2 weeks.
  • cls2015cls2015 member
    edited December 2015
    Ok that tells me its not diaper rash because we have been using this all along. Not sure where to go from here...Should i call his doctor if it doesn't clear up in a few more days ?

It could definitely still be diaper rash. Every baby responds differently to each cream; the same thing doesn't work for every baby. My niece did so well with Aquaphor, but it did nothing for my daughter. Also, diaper rash tends to happen a lot during teething time -- could be a change in pH in baby's body.
  • LO had a pretty nasty diaper rash a few weeks ago, we tried every cream we had but the best thing that worked was laying him down naked on a towel on his tummy and letting it air out. It was gone in about 24 hours after that.
  • Could it be sensitivity to the diapers?

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Like PP said, could be yeast. Yeast infections are resistant and look bumpy. It needs a special prescription cream (nystatin) to clear it up. Or like someone said too try different brand of diapers??
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited December 2015

Could it be sensitivity to the diapers?

Mine broke out to huggies and pampers when I tried the overnight diapers last week. I use honest diapers otherwise.
    I used aquaphor and Boudreaux's butt paste the for the rash and it cleared up. I use aquaphor with each diaper change.
    I have some mommy friends that swear by resinol. Maybe try that?
  • Lotramin (for jock itch and athletes foot) if it's yeast based and I swear by calmoseptine ointment for anything that is stubborn and needs serious wetness protection.
  • Coconut oil worked for us. Cleared the rash up fast. Now we use it daily to prevent
  • If it's not going away it's probably yeasty - we had the same thing and I couldn't understand why nothing would work. Once the doctor saw it she said it was yeasty and the prescription cream cleared it up in a couple days. Have been able to keep diaper rash at bay ever since! She said an indicator of yeast is little red dots radiating out from the rash. Hope this info helps you or someone else :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO also had a yeast diaper rash. Dr told me to use Monistat cream. It cleared in days!

Make sure you have LO checkd for thrush if it is yeast.
  • Yup, turns out it was yeast. They told us to get lotrimin, it took nearly a week for the rash to respond to this treatment. Even when we were applying it 3 times a day, so it was a stubborn one. We have also been airing it out but we've yet to try the oatmeal bath that was recommended to us by a nurse. We were instructed to stop using baby wipes as well, to use a wet washcloth instead