Single Parents

Child Support & Jail Time

briwuvsbribriwuvsbri member
edited December 2015 in Single Parents
Hello, I am not sure if this is the right board to be posting this on... so, I sincerely apologize in advance. Here is the thing, I owe child support starting on January 1st. However, I am not able to pay the full amount requested at this given time; I am 7 months pregnant, a full-time student (online courses) and unemployed. I am also medically disabled to drive and reside out in the country where there is zero public transportation. I called my case worker and explained all of this, as well as noting that I am more than willing to pay because it is my sole responsibility. I have no problem with making payments, at all. I just cannot pay the amount that the court wants me to, until I finish school and get a job (etc.) I am actually qualified to get on SSD/SSI, but I really do not want to rely on the Government system more than I already have to. When I do get a job, it has to be part-time as my disabilities prevent me from working a full-time shift. Anyway, I am sure that it sounds like I am pulling excuses out of my butt left and right, so please bare with me. The case worker told me that there is no way to lower it, so I am going to ask for a motion and/or take the said case to court. The custodial parent is 100% understanding with my given situation. I am just scared that they will throw me in jail for this, as I have heard and read horror stories. I live in Oregon, by the way. Does anyone have some advice? Once again, I am more than willing to pay as much as I possibly can. No questions asked.

Re: Child Support & Jail Time

• From this post and your previous one, it sounds like you could really benefit from talking to a family law lawyer. This website has referrals for free or low cost legal services:https://www.oregonlegalresearch.com/content/free-low-cost-lawyer-services. Your specific question is probably answered here:https://oregonlawhelp.org/issues/family/child-support-and-insurance-for-children

It should be a pretty simple process to modify the amount of support you owe, but you'll want to do the paperwork asap. The amount you owe will continue to accumulate until the other parent is served with the papers. At that point, given your circumstances, the court may say you do not need to pay while you're unemployed /disabled, but you WILL still be responsible for the accumulated debt.
  • As a family law attorney in Tennessee, I agree it is important to consult with an attorney in your area on your options. Child support laws vary by state, and each area may implement the same laws differently. Take all of your paperwork and meet with one. Do not rely on a caseworker, as they are advocating their employers interests, not necessarily yours. Do it as soon as you can, as child support is often not modifiable retroactively, so filing the appropriate paperwork quickly,even if your court date is postponed, could save you hundreds of dollars. Good luck!