Breastfeeding
Options

Is it going to get easier?

I just need support, hope that Bfing is going to get easier. My son is 2 weeks old...EBB since day 1, he was doing great until 7 days....he decided to stop taking my left side completely... after working with him for a week he started taking it again....but now is finicky to my right side, and he went from being an easy feeder to fussing at both breasts for at least 10-20 mins before I can successfully get him latched. He fusses and mashes around on the nipple but won't latch....I'm feeling exhausted, defeated, and stressed at each feeding. When, if ever...does it get easier?

Re: Is it going to get easier?

• Options
    The best advice I have is to see a lactation consultant and a pediatrician. The former diagnosed my son's upper lip tie and tongue tie, which, once resolved, finally made breastfeeding easier; the second diagnosed silent reflux, which has the same symptoms as... being a baby (fussy, crying, etc.). Once we figured those out and got treated, it became a LOT easier. I'm not saying you have either of these specific issues, but I found that just guessing and crossing fingers didn't really help.

That said, they do constantly change, so it's not unusual that something that used to work, no longer works, and something that didn't used to work, suddenly starts to work.
  • Options
    BFing is one of the hardest things I've ever done. My LO would also fuss and thrash around and would unlatch repeatedly. It got significantly better around 6-8 weeks and by 12 weeks I finally started actually enjoying the time together. When I was really freaking out about it at 2 weeks I took a few days and just EP'd. It gave me the break I needed to approach it again without the constant frustration.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    megandchasemegandchase member
    edited November 2015
    My LO decided to stop latching at about day 5 and would just scream like I was poisoning her each time I tried. Because she was losing weight and not having enough wet diapers I had to start EPing. She will be 2 weeks tomorrow and still won't latch. We are seeing an ENT tom for possible posterior tongue tie. A part of me is hoping it is a tongue tie because it will give a reason for the struggle. I was also told by my pedi that if I just keep trying she'll get it if there isn't an anatomical reason. Just keep trying momma I know it is frustrating! My son was a great nurser and was breastfed for a year so this is a whole new experience for me!
  • Options
    Between weeks 1-3 were the most difficult for me and my daughter... So much frustration with her taking to one side and not the other, screaming at the boob, fussiness and her being so gassy from my forceful letdown, nipple pain etc. I kept telling myself and my husband that I was going to switch to exclusive pumping because I hated breastfeeding so much! At around 4 weeks things started to get so much easier and now she's almost 8 weeks and I love breastfeeding. I did take two trips to a lactation consultant and get advice/her help my daughter with a better latch which has made a huge difference, otherwise we would more than likely still be having issues. I would highly recommend visiting with a lactation consultant!
  • Options
    I've been exclusively pumping since my son was 8 weeks old. He is now 10 months old and still EP'ing. Whatever works for you.