June 2015 Moms

Strangers say the darnedest things...

HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
edited December 2015 in June 2015 Moms
Strangers said crazy things when we were pregnant.

But I bet they say even more annoying things now! Post 'em here!

My pet peeve is that when I bring LO out, if she's not in pink or purple, people think she's a boy 100% of the time. Despite crazy long eyelashes! I don't mind, just think it's odd...

Re: Strangers say the darnedest things...

• Loading the player...
  • It actually makes ms irrationally angry how every single item of clothing meant for girls has pink on it.
    Anybody see that Adam Ruins Everything about gender norms? It was good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mellymar said:

Up here total strangers love to tell me 'oh mama, you'd better bundle me up against the cold!'
    On the one hand, I get it. But on the other, its like 42 degrees out, he is in long sleeves and footed clothing, I have a small cotton blanket around his legs, and I am literally going 6 steps from the door of the restaurant to the door of my car. I'm not going to use a thick blanket and his fleece car cover and all that for 10 seconds of walking, just to have him roast in the car during the drive home. He's already a little furnace as it is, he runs hot and if he gets too warm he breaks out. So, how 'bout you trust me that I ALSO don't want my kid to freeze, but I know more about him and my commute than you do, random person.

All of this. My mother is the worst at it.
  • @mellymar we are the same way... LO is a furnace if I cover him up with a blanket he sweats buckets especially head and neck area I try not to overheat him in the car and car seat but it's a fine balance between looking like I'm freezing him and keeping him comfortable.

A lady said the other day that she should get pregnant again so she didn't have to deal with her period (after telling me she already had 6 kids at home that she was tired of taking care of) I screamed a little inside....

And as for LO we don't get too many offhandedly comments..

• 423ang said:

mellymar said:

Up here total strangers love to tell me 'oh mama, you'd better bundle me up against the cold!'
    On the one hand, I get it. But on the other, its like 42 degrees out, he is in long sleeves and footed clothing, I have a small cotton blanket around his legs, and I am literally going 6 steps from the door of the restaurant to the door of my car. I'm not going to use a thick blanket and his fleece car cover and all that for 10 seconds of walking, just to have him roast in the car during the drive home. He's already a little furnace as it is, he runs hot and if he gets too warm he breaks out. So, how 'bout you trust me that I ALSO don't want my kid to freeze, but I know more about him and my commute than you do, random person.

All of this. My mother is the worst at it.
    Ha-ha, my parents are the opposite - Always wanting to take LO for a walk in the cold, while he's congested (Like go hang out outside like they did in the summer. I do quick walks into the store all the time).

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• mishmardhionomishmardhiono member
    edited December 2015
    People always trying to pinpoint a race in our baby. Me &I my husband were out and an older woman said I didn't get a look in and my daughter was very black, wtaf? A. My husbands not black, b. My child's not black but c. We don't know you, why are you commenting on my daughters skin colour as if it's an issue?

Also the size thing, she's so big, she's so small. People ask how she is, I say a great baby. "Oh that won't last enjoy
    Your sleep it gets bad at 1 week, 1 month, etc." your wrong but even if you were right why burst my bubble and have me worrying about things I can't control anyway. I hate everyone's "warnings"

When Maya was really little maybe 3 weeks old this woman stopped and stared at her for about 30 seconds in the supermarket and then told me I would never know how lucky I was. Broke my heart for the poor woman but you don't know our journey to having her. Don't just assume that she's unappreciated because you tho k she was an easy conception.
  • @jjvanwagner25 omg that happens all too often. I'll have my girls and almost every time I'm buying clothes the cashier says, "do you know you have two of these?" ... I really don't understand people.
  • this didn't happen to me... But a friend of mine who had a baby 4 days before I did, was at a store and a lady probably in her mid 40s told her her baby was super cute. And then proceeded to ask if she could hold her...To which my friend said no sorry and went on with her shopping. I find that crazy to be honest. If a complete random stranger asked to hold my baby I would be kinda creeped out.
  • thay33 said:

this didn't happen to me... But a friend of mine who had a baby 4 days before I did, was at a store and a lady probably in her mid 40s told her her baby was super cute. And then proceeded to ask if she could hold her...To which my friend said no sorry and went on with her shopping. I find that crazy to be honest. If a complete random stranger asked to hold my baby I would be kinda creeped out.

People are nuts. I'd say no too. You have no idea if that person has an alterior motive to kidnap your child! I may be slightly paranoid.

• Ok so not a stranger but my grandmother, who's never met my son asked me if I was BFing. When I told her no she told me how horrible it is that I'm not BFing and couldn't understand how I live with myself. Really? OK?

I've also been asked how much time I spend with him because if I'm around my son won't look at anyone else and if he can't see me he cries- forever. I'm with my son more than I'm not, I'm not sorry I'm his person. I'm a good mom damnit, who are you to question my whereabouts?

Ugh can I just drop kick people in the throat? You know, for asking stupid questions.
  • @RaiEliJusHell1369 you're his mom. He's supposed to be seeking you out. It's what babies do.

Yesterday, I was out shopping for clothes for myself. LO was being crabby and screaming in the dressing room and the sales floor. When I went to the register, the older lady behind it was like "either he's really hungry, or he's just being a man." 1. My baby is a girl and was clearly dressed in pink. 2. What a derogatory and sexist comment. It just rubbed me the wrong way, but maybe I'm being overly sensitive.
  • Sjeff0816 said:

@RaiEliJusHell1369 you're his mom. He's supposed to be seeking you out. It's what babies do.

Yesterday, I was out shopping for clothes for myself. LO was being crabby and screaming in the dressing room and the sales floor. When I went to the register, the older lady behind it was like "either he's really hungry, or he's just being a man." 1. My baby is a girl and was clearly dressed in pink. 2. What a derogatory and sexist comment. It just rubbed me the wrong way, but maybe I'm being overly sensitive.

Ohh I call people out of they are employees in any situation. You should of asked her if they are the views of the company. It's a pretty quick way to snap them out of it. As soon as you put your uniform on you are no longer bob, you are Walmart and anything you say or do is presumed to be the opinions and values of Walmart.