February 2016 Moms

Baby Formula..take or not take?

After delivery can I tell the nursery at the hospital what type of formula I want my child on while we are there or do they pick what they have? Should I take my own formula that I want them on? When I had my daughter I never asked about this and they gave her what the hospital had.

Re: Baby Formula..take or not take?

• From what some of my friends told me, if you have a specific type that you want to use, bring it with you. They don't carry many brands/varieties of formula, diapers, or wipes in the ward.
  • A friend of mine bought the bottles of formula, like the individual pre made bottles from enfamil and kept them in her bag. They wound up only BFing but it might be good to bring a few?
  • Loading the player...
  • Typically the hospital contracts with a certain company and they use that brand only. Depending on what brand they have, you may want to bring your own if it's not what you want to use.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would put this on the list of questions to ask at your next appointment
  • Hospitals contract with a specific company.  Our hospital provided Enfamil premixed bottles for us. They came in super handy!  I was planning to exclusively breastfeed, had an emergency csection, my milk didn't come in very quickly and we ended up needing the formula to feed our very hungry little one!  However, since they started her on Enfamil, thats what we stuck with, which was very expensive.  So if you are planning on using a specific kind, I'd suggest taking it.  Babies don't like to swap formulas!  
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • My hospital asked me what i wanted to use.  They had Similac and Enfamil to choose from.  So i suppose if there's something else you're wanting to feel baby then I might just pack some along.  but you'll probably also have to pack bottles b/c i doubt the hospital has bottles.  I would probably just use the closest thing to what you're planning on feeding baby while there.  
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• My hospital let us choose between similac and enfamil.
  • When we went on our tour of the hospital, after our birthing class, we were told that they had a few brands and had soy options and things like that. She said they would have mostly whatever anyone would need but if there was a very specific type someone needed they should bring their own. Check with your Dr. it seems every hospital will be different.
  • My state has a rule that the hospital is not giving free formula to new mothers any longer because they are encouraging BF'ing. I plan to BF, but if formula was offered I would take it to have on hand in case I needed it.