Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty Training Back Tracking

I started potty training my son at the beginning of July. He turned 3 on July 21st. He did great for the first two months. He went pee every time on the potty and poop about half the time. He loved going potty and was so proud of himself. Then one day he decided he didn't want to do it anymore (about two months later). I talked to daycare about it and they said kids go through phases and to wait it out. It's been two months. and now he REFUSES to even sit on the potty. If I even mention the potty he throws a temper tantrum and starts crying. He hasn't had any bad experiences with the potty and he's never been punished for not using the toilet. I explained to him that big kids get to wear pull-ups/underwear and that if he won't use the potty he'll have to wear diapers. He didn't like that at all. I did not want to put him back in diapers but I don't know what else to do. Spending money on pull-ups is just getting frustrating because he NEVER uses the potty anymore. If he was at least trying I wouldn't worry about it as much. When I talk to him about it he says that he knew he had to go but didn't want to use the potty. I ask him why and he just says he doesn't want to. he does have a younger sister, she's two. and she LOVES the potty and is always trying to go on it. when I ask him if he wants her to learn first, he says no... apparently that's not good enough incentive for him. Any advice on getting him to use the potty again or 'I've been there too" would be greatly appreciated. I'm so frustrated I just don't know what to do.

Re: Potty Training Back Tracking

• I'm a firm believer in not pushing it. Especially with a child over 3. My son was 3.5 when he finally potty trained on his own. We tried for nearly 1.5 years with him and then one day he made the decision when he was ready.

If your son is pushing back for whatever reason then I would take a break. It sucks to have to go back to diapers but he sounds like he's not ready.

• I read on another site how some kids do this for attention. So I actually talked to him last night and he admitted that that's why he doesn't want to do it. So, I've taken a new approach. I told him i'm not going to remind him or ask him anymore. And i'm not acknowledging when he does go in his diaper. I told him that when he needs my attention he needs to let me know. And I've decided that I need to find things for us to do together instead of just waiting for him. I'm hoping that will help and then maybe he'll decide that he's ready.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like he is having a regression. I wouldn't push him. When he starts to show signs and/or interest then reintroduce the potty. I am a big believer in following kids lead/cues with things like this. Forcing the issue will only take longer. 
  • May I suggest bribery. M&Ms, jelly beans, something tiny.

You want to use a diaper? That's cool. I'm going to eat an m&m to reward myself for changing your diaper. Oh good you got it in the potty, I guess this m&m is yours then.
  • We have tried candy, stickers and potty charts for a toy. I even took him to the store, let him pick out a toy and told him it was his potty/poop toy. he could only have it if he goes on the potty. if he goes in his underwear he loses it. It doesn't seem that any of it is working. the crazy part is that when he has nothing on he goes every time in the potty. but as soon as you put something on his bottom he goes in it. I know he knows how to do it. his body is ready. for some reason his mind isn't. and his two year old sister is going potty and poop every time on the potty now. we are full swing into potty training. my husband has the next two weeks off. I don't want him spending his whole vacation with our son peeing and pooping every where. seems like it's time for the diapers again, but my husband isn't going to be happy. we are both over the diapers. I think 3.5 should be old enough for him to be ready, but for whatever reason he isn't. :-(