March 2016 Moms
Options

anyone dealt with Hand, foot and mouth?

Hi, 

my son is 17 months old and got HFMD from his cousin last week.  We were hoping we were in the clear but yesterday (mon 12/14) he had spots show up on his foot.  I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant and called my doctor about it and was told if I'm not immune (which I should be because apparently I had it as a kid) that I was already exposed and nothing could be done to prevent me from getting it.  Anyways I'm not concerned about me and growing baby.  Just wondering if anyone dealt with it before and how long the sores will last? really hoping they'll be gone before christmas which would be 12 days after his spots showed up.  Was just looking forward to him opening presents since he is so into wrapping them this year and was sick on his birthday and miserable when it came to opening those presents.  
also his spots aren't too bad...just mainly his feet and genitals-they've started blistering up and scabbing already.  is this one of those things where its going to get worse and spread before it gets better?? Any sort of insight is appreciated.  Its the first time he's really gotten sick minus a cold or two (of course around his birthday) so we've been very lucky!!! 

Thank you so much!! 

Re: anyone dealt with Hand, foot and mouth?

• Options
    Ohh this must be going around, my friend's LO had it last week. We were at his first birthday party and we luckily escaped it but one other kid got it. He just had blisters on his face that lasted a week, so you should be good. I think he's pretty contagious for awhile though, I think my friend was told 2 weeks from breakout, but it seemed excessive to me.

The craziest thing is that it never seemed to bother him at all the past week. I'd be bellyaching if I had a blistery rash!
  • Options
    My son had it too just before his first birthday. His never showed up on his hands and feet though only in his mouth and down his throat. It was terrible. He wouldn't eat or drink hardly anything for days because it hurt so bad. Give Tylenol and motrin for the pain. He will be contagious for up to 14 days even if the sores go away. It is transmitted through saliva and fecal matter. But your son should be feeling fine for Christmas so that's good. Our pediatrician said that it's common for close adults to get it but it's not a big deal. Maybe a sore or two but it shouldn't bother you much at all if you do get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ds had it, stupid day care let a kid come in with it and didn't warn the parents. He should be fine for Christmas, no sharing silver ware, sippy cups and such. Be very careful to wash your hands well every time after changing him.
  • Options
    My daughter had it a couple years ago. It was on her hands, feet, and mouth. Poor thing. The sores last about a week, like PP said it's contagious even after sore heal, so just take precautions. Try a nice oatmeal bath to sooth the rash also.
  • Options
    FYI its also known as Coxsackie Virus... 

Many of my friends kids have seemed to had it... its going around

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Options
    It's a contagious virus.  He might have spots in his mouth or throat too.  If he seems unhappy/fussy/reduced appetite, that is probably related.  When our LO had it at 6 months, we both got it from him, and had sore throat and fever for a few days, but it was much worse for him.  It passed around his daycare class again around 18 months, and he was fussy/sleeping a lot and refusing some food, but only one or two spots.  It didn't last too long, and the spots he had early were the only ones he had (no more showed up).  I'd assume your LO's spots would be gone by Christmas.
  • Options
    I had it last winter/ spring. (I taught 5/6th graders.) DS got it from me, but it was only on our hands so it was kind of a variation of HFMD. Personally, it looked worse than it felt, but it still hurt to touch the spots. It wasn't so bad, but I don't know how in got it since I disinfected my classroom every afternoon and avoided touching the kid who originally had it. My spots lasted a month or so, but DS's cleared up after a week or two.
  • Options
    we had it here early first tri. it can be mild - moderate - severe. but it is untrue that you cannot get it again if you have had it before. very contagious; we were at a birthday party and one of the tots there had it, and every single other toddler that was at that party got it too (9 total). it isn't very common for an adult or older child to get it, though not impossible. just wash your hands, and treat the kiddo's symptoms. hope he feels better fast!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    also, if it is a moderate to severe case, don't be alarmed if your kid loses toenails (temporarily) or fingernails because of it! my babe had it back in july, a few toenails peeled/fell off, and only within the past month have the grown back to normal

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    lurking from April- my niece had it at her first birthday. She was fussy and uncomfortable for a few days but it seemed pretty mild.

I, however, got it HORRIBLY. I was out of work for a full week. Couldn't wear shoes because my feet were so swollen, couldn't even open medicine bottles because I couldn't use my hands. I threw up all night 2 nights in a row and could  barely eat because my throat was so swollen. Then, when I thought it was gone, ALL the skin on my hands and feet peeled off in huge chunks and all my finger/toenails peeled off.

I know it is apparently rare for adults to get it, but it happens. And it blows.
  • Options
    DS1 had it's cousin herperangina last spring and it was awful.  He wouldn't eat or drink and his fever got up to 106* - talk about scary stuff.  We did have to take him in for fluids because he got way too dehydrated - it caused major puking/diarrhea for him.  Hopefully it's a mild case.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    Unfortunately it is super contagious. DS1 goes to daycare and has had it twice. The first time the sores were just in his throat and it was extremely mild. The 2nd time he had sores on his hands and feet and he had a fever that last about a week. His Pedi told us that you are contagious before your symptoms show up but that once they scab over and no fever you are no longer contaigous. You should be fine by Christmas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    thank you everyone for the tips/advice.  He had a couple more sores show up on his lips and around his mouth.  His feet and legs are covered in them. Just a few on his hands.  His spirits aren't down at all still seems normal until he gets tired then hes super fussy and ready for a nap/bed instantly.  His feet seem to bother him some but not too bad.  His doctor told us to try the benadryl cream with him to help with itchiness.  It seems to be helping some that or he just likes when I'm rubbing his feet.  I've been good with washing my hands continually after changing him.  (luckily he poops on the toilet so I dont have to deal with those diapers-still wash my hands after wiping him) Fingers crossed it gets better quickly being home with him is getting long.  I already am a SAHM but had plans to shop this week for christmas.  Just want my baby better =(
  • Options
    vgirl33vbvgirl33vb member
    edited December 2015
    one of my coworkers was dealing with it the last two weeks. Both her sons had it and then her husband.  Two days ago she thought she was coming down with it but she hasn't.
  • Options
    My son had it in September. Poor thing it was almost gone before we realized what was up. We were camping and couldn't get to the pediatrician til monday. I was apps 13 weeks pregnant and the Ped told me the same. - I likely had it when I was a kid. No worries. It was a rough couple of days but passed quickly.
  • Options
    Well my little one is clearing up luckily. He wasn't too bad. Unfortunately my husband now has it. He can hardly walk his feet have sores so bad. I feel so bad I can't make him better. Now I'm paranoid I'll end up with it too. Fingers crossed I don't.
    And my little one was apparently getting two teeth this past week while having hfmd. What a trooper.
  • Options

Well my little one is clearing up luckily. He wasn't too bad. Unfortunately my husband now has it. He can hardly walk his feet have sores so bad. I feel so bad I can't make him better. Now I'm paranoid I'll end up with it too. Fingers crossed I don't.
    And my little one was apparently getting two teeth this past week while having hfmd. What a trooper.

Kids are amazing.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!