March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• CecilB93 said:

So I intend to do this whole thing unmedicated, and no matter what no one is sticking a needle in my back!! So epidural is out, but I know there are other options to help take the edge off. Has anyone used any of these other options and have any insight for a FTM? I plan to ask my midwife (if I can ever remember!) but would like to hear personal opinions too :)

I had the option of trying fentanyl before I got an epidural to "take the edge off". I'm not sure how much they gave me but I felt no difference what so ever. If they give you that option, just skip it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Question on breast pumps for STMs- did you throw out all the plastic pump parts after you were done breastfeeding, or hold on to them? Can you use them again for a second child?

I sterilized mine and have them stored because I wasn't sure. I figure I will throw them out if it is unsafe/gross, but wanted to check.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ehowa499 said:
    Question on breast pumps for STMs- did you throw out all the plastic pump parts after you were done breastfeeding, or hold on to them? Can you use them again for a second child? I sterilized mine and have them stored because I wasn't sure. I figure I will throw them out if it is unsafe/gross, but wanted to check.
    Just buy new and start fresh.  They get worn out and start becoming ineffective and inefficient the longer you use them.  If you're in the US, chances are insurance covers new parts too.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Thanks @skruhmin! I figured as much. Insurance does cover a new set of pump parts, and I will probably buy a new manual pump and second set of parts. I liked to have spares in case I got behind on dishes or forgot my pump bag in the fridge at work (pregnancy brain never truly goes away, does it?!)

• ehowa499 said:
    Thanks @skruhmin! I figured as much. Insurance does cover a new set of pump parts, and I will probably buy a new manual pump and second set of parts. I liked to have spares in case I got behind on dishes or forgot my pump bag in the fridge at work (pregnancy brain never truly goes away, does it?!)
    Yup done that before...I had to do emergency Target runs. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I am interested in a water birth for comfort (no epidural planned)... DH is immensely grossed out by the idea of me sitting in a blood bath

Can anyone speak from experience and tell me where the level of grossness is? (I know it's coming all out anyways I would rather do it in the bath then get out into a clean dry bed)

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• @MrsLeanMeanClean my best friend did it. I believe her exact words were "it's *explplicit* disgusting but so totally worth it" and then something about holding your baby and not even noticing anything else
  • @MrsLeanMeanClean what if you just labor in water? I've heard it can be really soothing and I'm imagining it'd be less messy since you don't stay in there for the actual birth.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • @MrsLeanMeanClean what if you just labor in water? I've heard it can be really soothing and I'm imagining it'd be less messy since you don't stay in there for the actual birth.

This is what I was thinking.. We have classes in Jan and I am hoping it will be addressed so his fears can be alleviated

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Okay experienced moms...baby has been consistently high up but over the weekend she seems to have moved really low. My hips and all around that area hurt! Should I be nervous she's hanging out down there already or is that pretty normal? I know they can move around a lot but can they get out once they shove their heads down your cervix??
  • Okay experienced moms...baby has been consistently high up but over the weekend she seems to have moved really low. My hips and all around that area hurt! Should I be nervous she's hanging out down there already or is that pretty normal? I know they can move around a lot but can they get out once they shove their heads down your cervix??

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My babies all tend to hang out low, this one is too. It makes for an early waddle for me, but that's about it. By the end I always feel like I could just push the baby out anytime I want! :)

Very very normal. Enjoy the waddle.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• UGH.......my stomach is HARD and feels soooo full....almost painful. LO hasn't been moving very much at all either......do I need to be concerned? I have felt some very small, faint movements, but nothing like the "Bruce Lee" style kicks I usually feel several times throughout the day.....

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• SparkE82 said:
    UGH.......my stomach is HARD and feels soooo full....almost painful. LO hasn't been moving very much at all either......do I need to be concerned? I have felt some very small, faint movements, but nothing like the "Bruce Lee" style kicks I usually feel several times throughout the day.....
    I wouldn't worry too much, especially since you've been feeling tiny ones.  LO might be turned and karate chopping your back.  Go chug orange juice and lay down on your left side if you can and see if movement picks up.  If you are concerned, it never hurts to call your OB.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• This may not even be a pregnancy related symptom but on and off today I've had a pain in my upper back. Sort of hard to describe. Not like a back ache, more like as if I had heartburn in my back. It doesn't last long but is uncomfortable when it is there. I have an appointment on Monday and will ask then but was wondering if you've ever heard of this....

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ecwk said:
    This may not even be a pregnancy related symptom but on and off today I've had a pain in my upper back. Sort of hard to describe. Not like a back ache, more like as if I had heartburn in my back. It doesn't last long but is uncomfortable when it is there. I have an appointment on Monday and will ask then but was wondering if you've ever heard of this....
    Is it localized to one side like at a shoulderblade and sharp at all?  If it's at your right shoulderblade, you might be having some gall bladder issues - that's a classic telltale sign.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• skruhmin said:

ecwk said:

This may not even be a pregnancy related symptom but on and off today I've had a pain in my upper back. Sort of hard to describe. Not like a back ache, more like as if I had heartburn in my back. It doesn't last long but is uncomfortable when it is there. I have an appointment on Monday and will ask then but was wondering if you've ever heard of this....

Is it localized to one side like at a shoulderblade and sharp at all?  If it's at your right shoulderblade, you might be having some gall bladder issues - that's a classic telltale sign.

No it was more the middle and left! But I never would have thought of that, thank you!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Questions for moms who used a bassinet. With DD, she slept in her crib in her nursery from her first night at home. This time around, we decided to have LO sleep in the bassinet of the Pack N Play for the first few weeks until we transition DD into her toddler bed (probably begin that in June when DD is 2 1/2). So I'm wondering, are bassinets meant to stay in the parents room or are they safe to have LO sleep in the nursery? I guess we could not use the bassinet feature and just have LO sleep in the Pack N Play (we also have a mattress for the Pack N Play, but I'll have to research if those are firm enough for a newborn). Also, at what age is the baby to old for the bassinet? LO will be about 3 months old when we move him/her from the Pack N Play into the crib.

Pregnancy Ticker

• ejverre said:

Questions for moms who used a bassinet. With DD, she slept in her crib in her nursery from her first night at home. This time around, we decided to have LO sleep in the bassinet of the Pack N Play for the first few weeks until we transition DD into her toddler bed (probably begin that in June when DD is 2 1/2). So I'm wondering, are bassinets meant to stay in the parents room or are they safe to have LO sleep in the nursery? I guess we could not use the bassinet feature and just have LO sleep in the Pack N Play (we also have a mattress for the Pack N Play, but I'll have to research if those are firm enough for a newborn). Also, at what age is the baby to old for the bassinet? LO will be about 3 months old when we move him/her from the Pack N Play into the crib.

We used a regular bassinet with DD in our bedroom until she was about 3 months old (not a pack n play one). By that point she was just about getting too big for it. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a baby in the pack n play bassinet in its own room. I think the regular pack n play mattress would be fine though.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• So DH and I are just watching Netflix, I'm sprawled out on our couch laying on my left side and out of nowhere got a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. It was just a quick sharp feeling then gone, then a couple minutes later it hit again and went right away again. Haven't really felt much else, almost feels like the pain could come back at any point though. LO is still moving around like crazy. FTM so I don't know a whole lot from experience, but there's no tightening in my stomach so I doubt that it's any sort of ctx, real or BH. And it doesn't feel like any RLP I've had so far, that's more of a tight pain whereas this was a sharp stabbing feel almost. I did just eat a big plate of pasta, any chance it could be related to that? If it continues or gets worse or I have any other issues appear I'll call the hospital and see if they think I should come in or not, just looking to see if anyone here has felt anything similar?
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• CecilB93 said:

So DH and I are just watching Netflix, I'm sprawled out on our couch laying on my left side and out of nowhere got a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. It was just a quick sharp feeling then gone, then a couple minutes later it hit again and went right away again. Haven't really felt much else, almost feels like the pain could come back at any point though. LO is still moving around like crazy. FTM so I don't know a whole lot from experience, but there's no tightening in my stomach so I doubt that it's any sort of ctx, real or BH. And it doesn't feel like any RLP I've had so far, that's more of a tight pain whereas this was a sharp stabbing feel almost. I did just eat a big plate of pasta, any chance it could be related to that? If it continues or gets worse or I have any other issues appear I'll call the hospital and see if they think I should come in or not, just looking to see if anyone here has felt anything similar?

That sounds like a type of rlp. It can be sharp and stabbing. How long did it last?
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CecilB93 said:

So DH and I are just watching Netflix, I'm sprawled out on our couch laying on my left side and out of nowhere got a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. It was just a quick sharp feeling then gone, then a couple minutes later it hit again and went right away again. Haven't really felt much else, almost feels like the pain could come back at any point though. LO is still moving around like crazy. FTM so I don't know a whole lot from experience, but there's no tightening in my stomach so I doubt that it's any sort of ctx, real or BH. And it doesn't feel like any RLP I've had so far, that's more of a tight pain whereas this was a sharp stabbing feel almost. I did just eat a big plate of pasta, any chance it could be related to that? If it continues or gets worse or I have any other issues appear I'll call the hospital and see if they think I should come in or not, just looking to see if anyone here has felt anything similar?

My experiences of RLP feel a lot like this, especially if I've eaten a big meal or have been lying in a position for awhile and then go to move!
  • We used bassinet until about 6 months. DD was tiny and fit in it but was starting to sit so we moved her into the crib.
  • I would check to see if the bassinet for your pack n play has a weight limit.
  • @skruhmin it seriously just hit me and was gone after a second or two, then hit again maybe a minute later.

Thanks @skruhmin and @hellomylittleone I was wondering if that's what it was, but it just felt different than RLP I've had this far. It didn't happen again so I wasn't too super concerned, just a little, lol. FTM probs.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Yeah, it concerned me a little bit at the beginning too, but when I brought it up with my midwife she reassured me it was common :)@CecilB93 ...and only to really worry if it was persistent/didn't stop!
  • Thank you @yodapup ! I will look into whether the mattress is safe for newborns and, if so, go that route!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Hi, could anyone tell me if tiger balm is ok to use while pregnant as googled it an got lots of conflicting info? Thanks in advance x
  • @tizwoz I got the ok to use Bengay from my doc. I believe the ingredients are mostly the same?

• A friend of mine is BF her son and she told me that if you BF, you're not supposed to try to lose much weight because the fat cells break down and end up in the breast milk. I've never heard this before....anyone know?
  • A friend of mine is BF her son and she told me that if you BF, you're not supposed to try to lose much weight because the fat cells break down and end up in the breast milk. I've never heard this before....anyone know?

I have not heard that the fat cells end up in the milk, but I've heard that hanging on to an extra 5-10 lbs from your pre-pregnancy weight helps you produce more milk. Not sure if that's true either.

Pregnancy Ticker

• ecwkecwk member
    edited December 2015
    ejverre said:

A friend of mine is BF her son and she told me that if you BF, you're not supposed to try to lose much weight because the fat cells break down and end up in the breast milk. I've never heard this before....anyone know?

I have not heard that the fat cells end up in the milk, but I've heard that hanging on to an extra 5-10 lbs from your pre-pregnancy weight helps you produce more milk. Not sure if that's true either.
    I've heard it can be hard to lose those last few 5 to 10 lbs *because* your body needs them for BFing. Not entirely sure whether or not it's true.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can't try to lose weight while nursing because then I have a crappy supply.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I'm fairly certain I have flat nipples. I've tried to research breastfeeding with flat nipples online and keep getting conflicting information. Some sites say it doesn't make a difference, some say baby has a harder time latching. Do any of you have experience with breastfeeding and flat nipples. Sorry if it's TMI, but I would like to hear experiences from real moms.

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • @JessKo08  My friend let me know she essentially has nipples so flat they are inverted, so she had to start with a nipple shield with her first.  It took a few weeks but they weaned away from using them eventually.  It just made it easier for her little one to latch early on.  Her second LO had absolutely no issue latching (didn't need the shields).  This could either have been caused by a difference in baby or by the fact that she had already nursed one.
  • Thanks for the insight @smushi I know it's not the end of the world if I am not able to BF, I would just like to be able to give it a good try!  :)

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • JessKo08 said:
    Thanks for the insight @smushi I know it's not the end of the world if I am not able to BF, I would just like to be able to give it a good try!  :)
    I think it's totally doable :) My friend I mentioned breastfed both of her LO's for at least a year! 
  • JessKo08 said:

I'm fairly certain I have flat nipples. I've tried to research breastfeeding with flat nipples online and keep getting conflicting information. Some sites say it doesn't make a difference, some say baby has a harder time latching. Do any of you have experience with breastfeeding and flat nipples. Sorry if it's TMI, but I would like to hear experiences from real moms.

Definitely get a nipple shield like PP said! I used it with my first for almost three months until he had a strong enough suck and my second used it some. Breastfed them for 13 and 14 months.

Even without the flat nipple issue, I think the nipple shield can be super helpful at the beginning if you are engorged or really full and it's hard for the baby to latch on. Made my life much easier!

• @SarahFoley725 I've hear the same and found a few (mostly news) articles on it, but that was only in Norwegian though. I've not researched it to an extent either. However, you do use from your storage of fat (fat cells) when producing breast milk and fat cells also storage micropollutants (including heavy metals like mercury) which transfers to the breast milk. The theory is that if you BF and start dieting and training to lose extra weight you'll release more of the micropollutants stored in your fat cells which then again transfers to the breast milk. Also all the articles I've read have distinguished between normal exercise for keeping healthy and dieting and training to getting thinner. Since I haven't found too much info on this subject I'm not sure about the reliability.
  • gmj3gmj3 member
    edited December 2015
    I'm 28 weeks and I started with some flu like symptoms last night. I haven't been able to keep anything Down in over 12 hours, even water is tough. the last few hours I've been getting horrible stomach pains. At what point should I call my OB? Everything I've read says to rest and take in fluids. Thanks ladies.