TTC after 35

GTKY: Sail away, sail away

Happy sunday!

OK here's the game if you want to play. 

1. What is the best vacation you have ever been on?
-Where was it?
-Why was it the best?

2. What is a city/country/place you have always wanted to visit?

3. If you could take a mini vacation TODAY where would you go?

Re: GTKY: Sail away, sail away

• 1. My Best Vacation:
     About 4 years ago DH and I took a once in a lifetime trip to Bora Bora, tahiti and we toured all around both islands in New Zealand. We've been paying it off ever since! We stayed in overwater bungalows in bora bora and it was the most amazing location I have ever been too. We swam with manta rays and a lot of other sea life and the water was unparalleled! New Zealand was also to die for!

2. What is a city/country/place you have always wanted to visit?
    I have always wanted to visit south africa, goa and peru. 

3. If you could take a mini vacation TODAY where would you go?
    I have been toying with the idea of going to Esalen in Big Sur for a couple of days, it is the most amazing retreat center with no cell phones, home grown food all made fresh and natural hot tubs from sulfer spring water. And it sits on the cliffs in big sur with amazing views. Total disconnection for stress reduction!
  • 1. Probably the best vacation I had was back in September. DH and I went on our honeymoon to Cancun. It was my first trip to a country other than Canada and my first time going somewhere tropical. It was amazing.

2. I've always wanted to go to Europe. Particularly the Netherlands and France. My husband's family is Dutch, so we've discussed going there someday. He still has family over there but doesn't know them very well.

3. I wouldn't mind just popping over to the Oregon coast. It's cold and rainy there now, but sometimes it's fun to just get cozy inside and watch the ocean.
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @createillumination bora bora sounds AMAZING!!!! When DH and I were looking at honeymoons, I had looked for somewhere where we could stay in an over water bungalow. Everywhere was just too expensive though and also too far of a plane ride. So jealous, sounds like it was a blast!
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @PattersRN it was so worth being in debt for a couple years! Sooooooo amazing! I also love love the netherlands, but i have only been to Amsterdam. I'm really short(5ft) and when i'm in Amsterdam i have to crank my neck when talking to locals. Everyone there is surprisingly tall! Go go! I still have never been to cancun it's on my list somewhere. I bet a honeymoon there was awesome.
  • BernieRaeBernieRae member
    edited November 2015
    1. One of my favorites was a brief trip to Costa Rica for my 30th birthday. I had read about a surf camp in Vogue magazine a couple of years prior and had been wanting to go. Friends were interested, but schedules never coordinated so I decided to just go by myself. The only other guests ended up being a trio of single friends around my age that I spent the trip with. I realized quickly that I was a bit scared of the surfing part, but I gave it a try! It was such an amazingly different experience for me. I was so sad to leave that I cried on the flight home and my tears tasted like the ocean.

2. Hawaii

3. I'm also a big fan of weekend getaways Oregon Coast. @PattersRN do you have a favorite coastal town? We just went to Newport last month and enjoyed it. I really liked Oceanside too. Very small and beautiful. And no cell service.

@createillumination your Bora Bora trip sounds amazing! I always love staying in very minimalist lodging in tropical locations. I would love to experience staying in an overwater bungalow. Priceless! ;)
  • 1. @createillumination We are vacation twins! (Almost). In 2013 my DH and I did our wedding/Honeymoon in Tahiti (Bora Bora and Morea) and it was hands down THE best trip I have been on so far if you are looking for relaxation and tropical fun. The only other contender would be an adventure trip we took to Belize that was kayaking in the ocean and on the rivers and camping on the Keys and in the jungle. That trip was the most exciting I've been on, but it was roughing it for sure, no showers etc.

2. Always wanted to Visit Peru and hike the Inca Trail. Also visiting the islands in Greece is a top contender.

3. if I could leave today Id go to Mexico, maybe see some of the Aztec temples, I've never been there (Which is crazy since I live in California) and this time of year its still nice and warm.
  • @BernieRae I think that Newport is my favorite. I like cannon beach and seaside in the off season (otherwise too many people). I also like Long Beach up in south Washington.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Child mentioned..

1- best vacation was the last time we went to Jamaica in 2010. Couples tower isle aka CTI is an amazing resort. We have been there twice and love it. All inclusive adults only. And the last time we went I came home pregnant.

2- I'm torn between Italy and Ireland. Before I was married I was going to go but then 9/11 happened and I was too scared.

3- if I could go anywhere it would be back to Jamaica. Hopefully I would have a repeat of last time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• lickasticklickastick member
    edited November 2015
    @Jenniferk08 I have been to couples swept away many times! We fell in love with the negril side and CSA, we were married there as well. We have visited all the couples properties, and CSA is the best hands down in our opinion ;) the flight there is a by-atch thou! We have started to go to cabo instead because it's just a 2hour flight for us.
  • @createillumination it's about 4 hours or so for us from NY. My husband proposed there in 2007 and then we went for our 2nd honeymoon/ 1st anniversary in 2010. For our honeymoon we went to almond beach club in Barbados which is the worst resort. They ran out of basics like strawberry daiquiri mix and ice. I was told I couldn't eat a cookie at the outdoor beachside bar. My husband was told to get "properly dressed" for breakfast because he had a sleeveless shirt on because we were leaving for a 4 hour outback excursion. They called our room at 2am because I left our "balcony" door slightly open. Our balcony was actually a sliding door with 2 additional inches of space. It was horrible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1. Best vacation was probably a trip DP and I took a few years back to Columbia and Panama. A friend of mine lived in Bogota and we just had an incredible time getting to know the city. Then we spent a week on a tiny island off the coast of Panama with 10 over the water bungalows. It was just incredibly peaceful, beautiful and relaxing.

2. Palau, the pacific northwest, India.
    BTW, @creationilluination, I studied abroad in South Africa years ago and it truly is a magical place. Capetown is one of my all time favorite cities!

3.Quebec City - it's within reasonable driving distance and is doable for a weekend getaway. You get the old world charm of the old city, plus its a great town for eating/drinking which what we like to do on our vacations!

DP and I just made plans to go to Puerto Rico this spring for a few days w/out LO. I'm so excited! It's giving me something to look forward to and take my mind off of TTC. And lord knows, we all could use a distraction from TTC...
  • 1. Husband and I went to Thessaloniki, Greece last year. It was only for a weekend and it's not that far away from home, but it was our first trip together outside our country, so it was very special.

2. I enjoy long distance bicycle rides and  would like to spend a summer cycling around Europe, or maybe even take more time and go far, far away to some exotic Asian country. 

3. Prague would be more than nice. Or some small coastal town in Italy. I'm afraid it would be hard for me to leave, though.
  • @createillumination Your trips sound fantastic! Like @Mamafesto , I can vouch for South Africa. My wife is South African, and we've been a few times to visit with family she still has there.

Also, @Mamafesto , I wonder if you're in New England like me as Quebec City is a (relatively) short drive for me, too!
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited December 2015
    @L&V2016 someday I'll make that trek to the other side of the world. Long hauls on coach are so brutal!!

I tried and tried but it won't let me tag you correctly. Wazupwitdat?