Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby in low percentile

Hi, my baby boy is 13 weeks and 11 pounds and 1 ounce. He's in the second percentile for weight and 58 for length. He typically eats 19-20 ounces a day. He prefers to graze every couple of hours. Anyone else having issues with their baby gaining?

Re: Baby in low percentile

• Options
    Be very concerned! Your baby isn't eating enough. If he's grazing he needs to wake every 3 hours minimum through the night too. He should be getting at least 27 ounces a day. At least!

We had trouble with this and it was the formula & reflux. You need to take him to the dr to get guidance. They finally helped us find the right combo meds/formula & baby started eating more because wasnt making sick.
  • Options
    So,Opposite camp here. What has your pediatrician said?

We're a ways behind you at 7 weeks but our DD is also in the 2nd percentile for weight and 13% when calculating BMI. She eats on and off throughout the day- some days hourly, others- upwards to 3-4 hours. I was concerned too but at the end of the day, she's gaining weight as she should and her output is on point with plenty of soiled diapers. My pediatrician is happy and comfortable with where she is at and by no means is she not gaining. Due to BFing I can't really tell you how much she drinks but either way it seems to be providing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with PP that you should consult your pedi if you haven't already, but IMO there is a lot more to deciding if it's an issue than just weight gain and intake. My first was a super slow gainer. She was always on the lower end of the charts as an infant. She's 4 now and over time climbed her way up to middle of the road.

As long as baby is not lethargic and still making plenty of wet and dirty diapers I would not be super concerned.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    It is not as important what percentile your LO is in as how well they are following their curves. Both of my LOs have always been below the third percentile, but as long as their weight gain follows the appropriate curved shape, it is fine.
    And, as PPs have said, make sure that the wet diaper output is good. (Poop isn't as important for BF babies. Some poop all the time, some don't for a few days at a time. I've had one each way! )
    If you're concerned, your pediatrician is definitely who you want to be talking to-- they should have all your LOs height and weight on a chart and be able to tell at a glance if the weight gain is appropriate.
  • Options
    Squirtgun said:
    It is not as important what percentile your LO is in as how well they are following their curves. Both of my LOs have always been below the third percentile, but as long as their weight gain follows the appropriate curved shape, it is fine. And, as PPs have said, make sure that the wet diaper output is good. (Poop isn't as important for BF babies. Some poop all the time, some don't for a few days at a time. I've had one each way! ) If you're concerned, your pediatrician is definitely who you want to be talking to-- they should have all your LOs height and weight on a chart and be able to tell at a glance if the weight gain is appropriate.

This. Don't focus on percentiles and listen to your Pedi. A doctor should be guiding you on what to do, not these boards.
  • Options
    My first has always been in the 5th or lower. She had her two year appt this week and was still in the 2 percentile. It was never a concern for my pediatrician so I didn't let it concern me. I don't know how much she ate but she definitely was a grazer and still snacks often during the day. Don't let it bother you if your doctor isn't concerned
  • Options
    Listen to the pedi. Percentiles don't matter as much as trends. If he starts out in low percentile and stays there he's probably on track. As long as he's got clear urine, is gaining weight, hitting milestones, and pedi isn't concerned I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    If your pediatrician isn't concerned, you have no reason to be either. My LO is quite tiny,too, but because he's eating plenty and still growing consistently, the pediatrician isn't concerned. She's the professional; I'm not. I trust what she says.
  • Options
    My son was in the 5th percentile at his 2 month check up so they had me supplement.  He had to go back in 3 weeks for a weight check and he jumped to the 10th.  Still somewhat low, but at least he gained. 
  • Options
    What is your body type like? My daughter is looking and lean, just like my side of the family. She has fat rolls on her neck, upper arms and legs, but I always worry that she looks "too skinny" but she's fine.
  • Options
    KatieSetlerKatieSetler member
    edited December 2015
    Lolo427 said:

We're a ways behind you at 7 weeks but our DD is also in the 2nd percentile for weight and 13% when calculating BMI. She eats on and off throughout the day- some days hourly, others- upwards to 3-4 hours. I was concerned too but at the end of the day, she's gaining weight as she should and her output is on point with plenty of soiled diapers. My pediatrician is happy and comfortable with where she is at and by no means is she not gaining. Due to BFing I can't really tell you how much she drinks but either way it seems to be providing.

This is so comforting to read!

DD is 1 month today. She was 6lbs1oz at birth, down to 5lb8oz at 24 hours. At 2 weeks she'd gained 1 lb (6lb8oz), but today had only gained 6oz more (6lb14oz). The pediatrician had me meet with a lactation consultant, but if her weight gain doesn't increase in the next few weeks she wants to supplement with formula. I really REALLY don't want that to happen.

She's in, like, the 5th percentile. But she has PLENTY of wet and soiled diapers a day. Can't she just be a small baby?
    Baby number 1 on the way!
  • Options
    Their percentile curve is important. Baby must not be following that curve if dr is worried.
  • Options

Lolo427 said:

This is so comforting to read!

DD is 1 month today. She was 6lbs1oz at birth, down to 5lb8oz at 24 hours. At 2 weeks she'd gained 1 lb (6lb8oz), but today had only gained 6oz more (6lb14oz). The pediatrician had me meet with a lactation consultant, but if her weight gain doesn't increase in the next few weeks she wants to supplement with formula. I really REALLY don't want that to happen.

She's in, like, the 5th percentile. But she has PLENTY of wet and soiled diapers a day. Can't she just be a small baby?
    How often is she nursing? Keep offering the breast frequently. Avoid pacifiers for now and just keep nursing. Now that baby is 1 month maybe pumping and using pumped milk as supplement after nursing. If you do end up using formula it's not so horrible. Just remember to pump for every formula bottle given to keep the supply up. 6oz is not a lot for 2 weeks but also make sure that the pedi is using a BF baby growth chart because they grow at different rates and hit different growth spurts.
  • Options
    @NurseRieger Thank you!

During the day she'll go anywhere from 30min-2 hours between, usually 2-3 hours at night. She's only been nursing about 10-15 min at a time lately though (during the day). The lactation consultant told me to offer the other breast every time, and offer often if she starts stirring. She nurses about every time I do this-- she wasn't ACTING hungry so I didn't think to nurse before, when it had only been a little while. Hopefully this helps things.

Also she told me to pump for about 10 min after every feeding for the next week, just to get milk production up.

Thank you so much!
    Baby number 1 on the way!