Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Pacifier Question

Attention current mom's and mom's to be. What are your opinions on Pacifiers vs. Soothies? Pros, Cons? Any good or bad experiences? Let me know!

Re: Pacifier Question

• Options
    Our hospital gave out Soothies. I think they are hideous, so I bought Avent ones to the hospital and used them from the start. We didnt have any issues with nipple confusion or when it came time to take it away, or anything. I think that it is all a matter of preference. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    What's the difference? Aren't Soothies a type of pacifier? We had some different types of pacifiers we got as samples and the only ones that my daughter would take were the Soothies. I didn't plan on her to use one at all, but it's the only thing that would get her to sleep in her first few months. She stopped using them around 6 months on her own.

Are you referring to something different than these as Soothies? Not sure why they would be considered hideous.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We give our ltitle guy the soothies, abs started at about 10 days old. I was less concerned with nipple confusion and more concerned with the latch. Soothies most resemble nipple shape, so it's less likely to change the way they suck. If you really don't like them, I think mam makes a pacifier that is a similar shape
    Also, soothies come in wubbanub, which is the pacifier with a little stuffed animal attached... and they are amazing! If lo spits it out, it stays right in place and they can usually get it back in their mouth!
  • Options
    I pick pacifiers on cuteness. We have MAM.
  • Options
    We've always used Nuk, they are very simple and come in an assortment of styles/sizes/types. We had no issue with nipple confusion.

• Options
    Before my son was born, I stocked up on soothie pacifiers. He could not keep them in his mouth for more than 5 seconds on his own. Then we tried Avent ones, and they stayed in better but still not great. We finally discovered MAM pacifiers when he was around 3 months old. He LOVED them and he could keep them in his mouth for hours! Total lifesaver for car rides and naps/bedtime. I found the ones for 6+ months were easier for him to keep in his mouth than the smaller 0-6 month ones. Every baby is different but we love MAM pacis!
  • Options
    You may not have a choice at all in the matter. My son would take nothing but soothies for the first several months of his life. Eventually we moved him over to the MAM brand, but some babies will only take what they like. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We started out using Soothies. Lol.. when we lost the last one, I got some pacifiers. My daughter didn't have a problem using either. 
  • Options
    I've been advised to use soothies as they don't have that stupid ring on them ; )