2nd Trimester

How do you get rid of a head cold while pregnant???? Plz help!!

I feel horrible and don't know what to take besides Tylenol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: How do you get rid of a head cold while pregnant???? Plz help!!

• I know mucinex and sudafed are ok.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I just got over a cold. I only took Tylenol and used Vic's Vapor rub, especially at night. Hot towel over your sinuses helps too!
  • Loading the player...
  • I use a saline spray so I can breathe. Thankfully, I haven't had much of an issue yet....
  • Yes I second the saline spray! I forgot about that
  • Talk to your doctor. My doctors advice to me when I was sick with a cold (then turned into a sinus infection which became rhinitis.... Which I was put on steriods and now take flonase rx and another rx nasal spray daily till i deliver) was if moms not healthy and miserable then so is baby. With that being said I was told to take robotusin and what ever else to releave my discomfort. Im a RN at a hospital I asked around to a few doctor friends I had in L&D they agreed with this. They also said take Nyquil and sleep for 24-48 hours you'll feel better after. I wouldn't recommend doing robotusin or Nyquil without acknowledging your doc first....just incase for any reason they may have to not use it since every pregnancy is different and everyone has different medical conditions.
  • I may add my doctor said anything for cold or allergy OTC is okay if you are 14 weeks +
  • I used NeilMed nasal saline wash in the squeeze bottle - it worked wonders to allow me to breathe, and really cleaned out the gunk from my sinuses.  It's my new favorite thing.  I'm not comfortable taking meds even when I'm not pregnant so this was a lifesaver for me.
  • I'm in the same boat. I work at a preschool so with the amount of sick kids at this time it's no surprise I feel like crap. Sleep has helped along with tons of vitamin C. Midwife suggested benadryl to help me sleep at night because I keep waking up coughing and congested. Tylenol does nothing for me. Also, there are some essential oils that help with congestion like peppermint and eucalyptus. I dab some on my pillow and it helps me breath. Sorry you're going through this, it's not fun :-(
  • Neti pot, stay hydrated, rest. Call your doctor to see what medications he/she approves.
  • My doc said the same as above - sudafed, robotussin, and/or mucinex. It lasted 3 weeks and they finally gave me a Z pack and it was gone in 3 days.

image"">

• Just came down with something two days before Christmas :'( called doc and they said sudafed, contac, aspirin, nasal spray. I hope I can at least feel human in a day or two for Christmas!
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • BPaisley said:
    Just came down with something two days before Christmas :'( called doc and they said sudafed, contac, aspirin, nasal spray. I hope I can at least feel human in a day or two for Christmas!
    Nasal spray? Not just saline spray?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • BPaisley said:
    Just came down with something two days before Christmas :'( called doc and they said sudafed, contac, aspirin, nasal spray. I hope I can at least feel human in a day or two for Christmas!
    Nasal spray? Not just saline spray
    my dr approved afrin spray if necessary

*Kate*

February 2016

• mcklough said:
    Color me jealous. I'm only allowed saline nasal spray. I've suffered with this cold for 2 weeks now.

• mcklough said:
    Color me jealous. I'm only allowed saline nasal spray. I've suffered with this cold for 2 weeks now.

boo- it really does suck. I have past issued with rhinitis and even after surgery almost 2 years ago now I still have a lot of ongoing issues. They took a large majority of my meds off the table, but said if it got too bad to use it.

hope you feel better soon- also maybe you can ask them again if you are afraid that you aren't draining enough that it might cause an infection. My dr said the two biggest goals were avoiding infections and limiting medications so it's been a balance of those things all along.

*Kate*

February 2016

• mcklough said:

boo- it really does suck. I have past issued with rhinitis and even after surgery almost 2 years ago now I still have a lot of ongoing issues. They took a large majority of my meds off the table, but said if it got too bad to use it.

hope you feel better soon- also maybe you can ask them again if you are afraid that you aren't draining enough that it might cause an infection. My dr said the two biggest goals were avoiding infections and limiting medications so it's been a balance of those things all along.

For the most part all the drainage is clear. My nasal turbinates get really swollen from my allergies and I haven't taken anything for it in over a year because the two medications were so expensive even with my insurance.

• @mcklough you were approved afrin spray?!!!! I have rhinitis and on steriods plus flonase rx strength. I used afrin(after being told by 2 doctors not to use it. I was so miserable and nothing was helping except afrin.) for 2 weeks, my nose swelled shut and i had to have minor surgery to unswell it from the afrin. There is no doctor that recommends it that has talked to me as a patient or as doctor that I work with at the hospital. They all say it's the worst thing to use pregnant or not. Its as addictive as crack they've said and if you use through out pregnancy your baby may come addicted to it....since it goes straight to your blood stream. (there is no significant evidence of this yet but I been told from a doctor and a surgeon that) so be careful if you are using afrin. Flonase works wonders and is way better for you its more pricey but worth it. It took 4 days till I noticed a 99% difference.
  • you are only EVER supposed to use afrin for 3 days max 2x daily, but during pregnancy I only use it once every 24 hours for 2 days max, but it's something she said to only use if all the other stuff didn't work. I have definitely heard that the rebound swelling is terrible if you don't follow the instructions really closely. I've never heard of anyone that had to have surgery because of it- that's crazy and really good to remember if I ever feel like breaking the rules. My Dr did a really good job of making sure I understood all the ramifications, but if I had just picked it up in the store to try I'm sure I never would have read the instructions and I definitely wouldn't have followed them.

Flonase and steroid spray didn't help me, I had to be on them for 120 days before they would give me a CT scan to see structurally what was going on. They said flonase and steroids are usually for people who have allergen reactions which mine seem to be triggered by something else which they can't identify, the second they reviewed the CT scan they were like oh yea- it's a mess in there. I was so irritated that they couldn't just do that first, but whatever- I understand there is system in place to try to alleviate the issues with the least invasive route. It's just incredibly annoying to me that I had to be on meds that didn't do anything for that long. They were discussing a second round of surgery to correct deep structural issues- during my first surgery they did a bunch of different procedures but didn't want to touch the higher risk sinus cavities unless I still had issues after surgery (clearly I still do, ugh). Then I got pregnant so it all got put on hold, but my sinuses didn't get that memo >:(

I'm like the .01% of the population with this severe of issues though so I'm not trying to imply that anyone should compare their situation to mine. Always listen to YOUR dr.

*Kate*

February 2016