Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Formula handling

My LC gave me a bunch of those 2 oz ready made formula bottles. I'm supposed to top up after feedings. Often she takes less than one oz. If I pour one oz into a bottle and re-cap the remaining formula, is it safe? Room temp or refrigerate? I feel like I'm wasting so much!

Re: Formula handling

• In the hospital I had to use those and they told me once it's opened throw out what is left over in 1 hour. I wouldn't chance giving spoiled formula.
  • The big ready to feed bottles are good for 72hrs so if you are feeding it a few hours later then I don't see the harm.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • We had to supplement a couple times during his first few weeks. We also used the individual bottles.. I recall there being instructions on the bottle for handling. I want to say it said to refrigerate the leftovers for up to 24 hours? I can't be sure, but the bottle will tell you :)
  • Thanks ladies!
  • You don't want to reuse what is in the bottle she's drinking from (if she doesn't finish it) because the saliva can contaminate the remainder of the formula but if you are just pouring some into a bottle and refridgerating the rest then you are fine. For up to 24 hours.
  • throw it out after an hour once their mouth has been on it, its a breeding ground for bacteria. The premixed formula is fine up to 72 hours so long as its been refrigerated after opening and hasn't been warmed up since.