April 2016 Moms
Options

Has anyone had a marginal cord insertion in a previous or current pregnancy?

Hi, ladies.

At my level 2 US yesterday, we found out baby is looking good but I have a marginal cord insertion. I have read some studies about it and although it is not as bad as a velamentous cord insertion, it does increase the risk for intrauterine growth restriction and worse perinatal outcomes. It is also a lot more common in IVF pregnancies (my case).
My baby is measuring at the 22nd percentile, which is normal but I would have expected him to be bigger since neither myself or my husband are short (I'm 5'7'' , husband is 6'2'').

So could you share your experience? Have you had a marginal cord insertion? If so, at what percentile did you baby grow? Did you have IUGR, early labor, or other adverse outcomes?

Re: Has anyone had a marginal cord insertion in a previous or current pregnancy?

• Options
    Is this in addition to the echogenic bowel, or this the final conclusion? How did the appts go? I don't have experience here, but have been waiting for an update. Glad to hear he's looking good otherwise! I wouldn't be too concerned about the growth at this point, I believe you have even said yourself in other responses how they can be inaccurate. I'd focus on the positives that little Luca looks good!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited December 2015
    Is this in addition to the echogenic bowel, or this the final conclusion? How did the appts go? I don't have experience here, but have been waiting for an update. Glad to hear he's looking good otherwise! I wouldn't be too concerned about the growth at this point, I believe you have even said yourself in other responses how they can be inaccurate. I'd focus on the positives that little Luca looks good!
    @imrachellea, I updated the original echogenic bowel thread.
    In summary, the echogenic bowel has resolved (YAY). Baby was looking good, only finding was mild pyelectasis which the doctor said is super common and should resolve on its own.
    BUT, I found out I do have a marginal cord insertion, hence the current post.

Re: accuracy, yes they can be somewhat innacurate although he measured on the 22nd percentile at 20 weeks, and again on the 22nd percentile now at 23 weeks (in 2 different ultrasound laboratories), so I have to assume these measurements have been somewhat accurate.

I am a little bothered cause I keep getting comments about how 'small' I look at this stage... As you see in my HDBDs, my belly is indeed on the small size. I have only gained 6 pounds thus far, which is way less than average for 23 weeks... So I am wondering, is my baby on the small size because I am not gaining enough weight, or is he on the small side because my placenta/cord are not doing a good job (thus, I am not gaining much weight because baby is not growing fast?). Oh, the worries!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Got it :) I don't often look back at posts once they are a few days old and I assumed you'd update tomorrow in our ticker too. I really should look back at older posts because I feel like I miss out on stuff...and I have a fear of missing out, which is apparently a "thing" called FOMO, there are gifs...so it must be real :-P Anyway, glad to hear little man is doing well and definitely fingers crossed he continues to thrive! I know you've already been through so much getting to this point, once he's here it will all be a thing of the past!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Got it :) I don't often look back at posts once they are a few days old and I assumed you'd update tomorrow in our ticker too. I really should look back at older posts because I feel like I miss out on stuff...and I have a fear of missing out, which is apparently a "thing" called FOMO, there are gifs...so it must be real :-P Anyway, glad to hear little man is doing well and definitely fingers crossed he continues to thrive! I know you've already been through so much getting to this point, once he's here it will all be a thing of the past!
    @imrachellea Hope you are right, I just want him to be healthy and thrive!
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with marginal cord insertion, either, but I do have experience with a small kid. I'm a respectable 5'6", and dd2's sperm donor was 6', but she was under 6 pounds at birth, and has been consistently small ever since. She is currently all the way UP to the 5th percentile, and she's 9.5 now. She's even smaller than dd3, and my husband is only 5'4" on a really tall day. Average people can totally have small kids, and vice versa.
  • Options
    I posted on the Wednesday ticker change and then found this one too. I thought that baby's size didn't really matter until later on in pregnancy? Yes you are small, but I feel like women's bodies handle pregnancy differently. People think my stomach is too big for how far along I am, but my baby is measuring right on track. People need to mind their own business imo. I don't see why ivf would have anything to do with it, doesn't make the placenta form differently just because it was different circumstances.

I'd love to keep in touch with the different info we get on it.
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I posted on the Wednesday ticker change and then found this one too. I thought that baby's size didn't really matter until later on in pregnancy? Yes you are small, but I feel like women's bodies handle pregnancy differently. People think my stomach is too big for how far along I am, but my baby is measuring right on track. People need to mind their own business imo. I don't see why ivf would have anything to do with it, doesn't make the placenta form differently just because it was different circumstances. I'd love to keep in touch with the different info we get on it.
    From what I read, there is something about IVF (especially ICSI, which we had) that may lead to a different orientation of the blastocyst. 
    Now, what is the right orientation of the blastocyst, and how does IVF/ICSI change it, I have no idea!

Yes let's keep in touch about this. I'll see my doc on thursday and get her input on it.
    I have to say that at the end of my level 2, the doctor who read the scan came and talked to me; told me the echogenic bowel was gone, told me the baby had mild pyelectasis, but mentioned nothing about the cord insertion…. Maybe he wasn't worried himself?
  • Options
    I don't have experience with cord insertion, but I do have experience with a small pregnancy. With my daughter, I was in regular clothes up until about 28 weeks. I remember people being shocked at how far along I was. I had HG with that pregnancy as well, so I lost weight, but she grew fine. I "filled out" later on in my pregnancy and was plenty big by the end :) she was born at 7# 19in which was 15th percentile I believe. She's still a petite little one, but has grown consistently at smaller percentiles.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for little baby Luca <3

• Options
    I don't have experience with cord insertion, but I do have experience with a small pregnancy. With my daughter, I was in regular clothes up until about 28 weeks. I remember people being shocked at how far along I was. I had HG with that pregnancy as well, so I lost weight, but she grew fine. I "filled out" later on in my pregnancy and was plenty big by the end :) she was born at 7# 19in which was 15th percentile I believe. She's still a petite little one, but has grown consistently at smaller percentiles.
    I'll be 24 weeks tomorrow and I am still in my regular clothes! I get told all the time that "I'm not too big".
    Good to know about your good outcome! Are you and/or your husband petite?
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

I posted on the Wednesday ticker change and then found this one too. I thought that baby's size didn't really matter until later on in pregnancy? Yes you are small, but I feel like women's bodies handle pregnancy differently. People think my stomach is too big for how far along I am, but my baby is measuring right on track. People need to mind their own business imo. I don't see why ivf would have anything to do with it, doesn't make the placenta form differently just because it was different circumstances.

I'd love to keep in touch with the different info we get on it.

From what I read, there is something about IVF (especially ICSI, which we had) that may lead to a different orientation of the blastocyst. 
    Now, what is the right orientation of the blastocyst, and how does IVF/ICSI change it, I have no idea!

Yes let's keep in touch about this. I'll see my doc on thursday and get her input on it.
    I have to say that at the end of my level 2, the doctor who read the scan came and talked to me; told me the echogenic bowel was gone, told me the baby had mild pyelectasis, but mentioned nothing about the cord insertion…. Maybe he wasn't worried himself?

That's weird with Ivf, but if it make a you feel any better, we didn't do it and we still ended up with one.

That sounds hopeful that in everything thing that level 2 dr sees this is so minor he didn't think it needed mentioned. Or at least that's the way I'm taking it. I did see that a lot of people didn't even know they had one until after delivery, that made me feel better too.
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

I'll be 24 weeks tomorrow and I am still in my regular clothes! I get told all the time that "I'm not too big".

We're both on the taller side- I'm 5'7 and DH is 6'1. I have always been very slender, though. DH is... not haha. He and his brother both played professional football if that gives you an idea of their body type haha.
  • Options
    We're both on the taller side- I'm 5'7 and DH is 6'1. I have always been very slender, though. DH is... not haha. He and his brother both played professional football if that gives you an idea of their body type haha.
    We're very similar then! I'm 5'7''and husband is 6'2''. Except that he is the slender one, I'm not. :)
    Forget what I said above about not being too big… Over the past couple of days I feel that my belly exploded! LOL
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

thaisac1 said:

We're very similar then! I'm 5'7''and husband is 6'2''. Except that he is the slender one, I'm not. :)
    Forget what I said above about not being too big… Over the past couple of days I feel that my belly exploded! LOL

This is the strangest sensation! Mine started around week 17 because I'm petite with a short torso, but I feel like I'll get way bigger over a couple of days and then just hang out for a while. I never had growth spurts as a kid so I imagine this is kind of what it's like!
  • Options
    Try not to worry about what you look like on the outside. Every pregnancy carries differently, even in the same person. You may just have a petite newborn, but that doesn't mean they'll always be small! As long as LO is growing on the same curve (even if it's the 22 percentile) he's doing just fine. I think that I looked exactly the same with both of my pregnancies and my DD was a week late and only 6#15oz and my DS was a week early and was over 8#! You just cannot tell by looking at someone :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker