Trouble TTC
Options

New here

Hi I am Sarah and I have been follow this board for a wile but just ready to join in now. We have been married since August 2013 and NTNP since September 2013. The TTC since May 2014. I met with family doc in June 2015 and GYN in September. Family doc sent blood work but forgot to order ultrasound that the GYN she referred to wanted. GYN said she wants me to loose weight and then do ultrasound and come back in January. She also wants DH to have an analysis and bloodwork done. He met with his family doc last Monday and goes Friday for tests. I am a bit frustrated she didn't do the ultrasound right away and said loose weight then we can talk. I was about 20 lbs away from ideal BMI but she said Clomid does not work if your outside normal weight. I have lost 12 lbs already but I am trying to decide if I should see a new doc or if this is the usual routine. Is everyone told this?

Re: New here

• Options
    Hello and welcome!  Doctors seem to have their own protocol when it comes to weight and BMI, as I have heard different things from different folks.  My biggest piece of advice for you though is to work with an RE for fertility treatment, not an OBGYN.  Clomid is not the only option, but if prescribed an RE will monitor you very closely to make sure you are responding well to it.  OBGYNs often don't do this and you can have problems as a result.  I think it's wonderful that you are losing weight and are trying to get healthy, but I would still get involved with an RE right away!  Good luck!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. So if I want to go right to an RE should I just tell the GYN that when I see her in Jan? Are they usually ok with that?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Mine was perfectly fine with it when I asked for a referral/recommendation.  It *should* be something they are used to doing, and I'm actually a little surprised she didn't give you a referral since you've already been TTC for over a year!  Sometimes we just need to be our own advocates though and make things happen for ourselves.  I would just call your OBGYN and ask for a referral, no need to wait until your appointment.  You could even just start researching REs in your area and then call them up yourself to get started.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20