Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When to stop swaddling

My LO is 9 weeks old, and I feel he still needs to be swaddled with both arms in to get a good nights rest. Some nights he wakes up extra fussy because he doesn't have access to his arms/hands but usually around that time it is time for him to eat anyway.
What age do you usually stop swaddling for sleep? Is this something I need to transition him into or will he just be ready at some point?
TIA

Re: When to stop swaddling

• edited December 2015
    7 mos + depends on each child.
  • Everything I've read says to stop swaddling around the time they learn to roll over. We plan on transitioning her out a little before she learns to roll, that way we won't have to go cold turkey and she has time to adjust.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!
  • with my older 2 it was around 5 months, but i followed their lead. so on any given night i'd do what worked for them and went back and forth between one arm out, both arms out, no arms out, until we were done with swaddling. I think it took a week or two of doing it gradually like that.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Baby'smom said:

This is WAY too old. Babies need to learn to sleep unswaddled for many reasons but one is for development. Swaddling too long can hinder their ability to learn normal movements, etc.

Most Pedi's will say to stop around 2-4 months old. 4 months is the longest I went and that was with my second kid.

• Child had sensory issues.
  • I stopped all together by 10 weeks. Lil guy wanted his hands. Not doing sleep sacks either because he was trying to kick his way out.
  • How then do you keep them warm at night without the swaddle? I've read not to give them a blanket, when I go to pick LO up in the middle of the night I feel bad when his little hands are cold. Idk if that bothers them or not though
  • Little ones hands are going to be cold though : ) that's them learning their circulation and regulating body temperature.
  • How then do you keep them warm at night without the swaddle? I've read not to give them a blanket, when I go to pick LO up in the middle of the night I feel bad when his little hands are cold. Idk if that bothers them or not though

We've transitioned to a sleep sack. I put mittens on her hands and they still get cold even when the rest of her body is nice and toasty!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• I live in south FL, cold is rarely ever an issue. My AC is set to 72. Babies should actually have a cool room 68-72 degrees, prevent SIDS.
  • My house is usually set around that temp too. I'm in Texas so I'm right there with you on the heat. However we like to sleep with the fan on so I'm always feeling his arms/hands cold in the morning.
    I did do an arms out swaddle last night and he slept for 5 hours straight! My breasts feel like they're going to burst, but I feel quite rested
  • I live in south FL, cold is rarely ever an issue. My AC is set to 72. Babies should actually have a cool room 68-72 degrees, prevent SIDS.

This. Also, babies don't have the greatest circulation so even though their hands and feet seem cold, most likely the rest of their body isn't actually "cold".
  • Everything I've read says to stop swaddling around the time they learn to roll over. We plan on transitioning her out a little before she learns to roll, that way we won't have to go cold turkey and she has time to adjust.

Baby'smom said:

This is WAY too old. Babies need to learn to sleep unswaddled for many reasons but one is for development. Swaddling too long can hinder their ability to learn normal movements, etc.

Most Pedi's will say to stop around 2-4 months old. 4 months is the longest I went and that was with my second kid.

Both good points. I was going to ask if the best time is when they find their hands and legs - since swaddling mimics the womb but also keeps them from startling themselves when their little drunk limbs go flying.
    Baby'smom said:

Both good points. I was going to ask if the best time is when they find their hands and legs - since swaddling mimics the womb but also keeps them from startling themselves when their little drunk limbs go flying.

Those damn drunk limbs! Screws everything up!! haha
    Baby'smom said:

Olive punched herself in the face last night at 4 am. The next hour was rough.
    Baby'smom said:

Olive punched herself in the face last night at 4 am. The next hour was rough.

Oh no! Yes, I could imagine that would make sleep pretty tough after that :(
  • When they say "stop swaddling once they start to roll over", does that mean just stop arms-in swaddling or stop all swaddling completely?
  • Mint156 said:
    When they say "stop swaddling once they start to roll over", does that mean just stop arms-in swaddling or stop all swaddling completely?
    Yes, just leave the arms out.
  • What about using a woombie type swaddling outfit? Would you stop using those around the time you would stop swaddling with a blanket?
  • @Mrsbearmomma Yes, you have to stop swaddling with arms in when they begin to roll back to front. They can suffocate if they don't have their arms free to prop themselves up. Anything that lets them have their arms out is safe once they start rolling! I have seen woombie type outfits that has baby's arms out which would be fine!