March 2016 Moms
Options

Contractions due to dehydration

Right now, I am in bed with a bottle of Gatorade trying to settle down.

The DH and I had gone out this morning to enjoy a Christmas display in another city (wasn't impressed, but still had fun), then met up with a friend for lunch.

I saved my bag of chips from the lunch for a later snack (wish I hadn't). When we got home an hour later, I had the chips.

About fifteen minutes after eating them, I felt very sick, and threw up (ew, I know). I threw up about three times, then started having contractions. After having eight contractions in an hour, I called my doctor who told me to re-hydrate and monitor the contractions, then head to the hospital if they continued. 

The contractions stopped, but the whole time they were going on, all I kept thinking was "he's only two pounds! He can't come out now!"

I searched for a thread about this, but there doesn't seem to be one (if there is, it wasn't coming up in my search).

Re: Contractions due to dehydration

• Options
    Staying hydrated is SO important!!!

I work as a massage therapist and am still doing some harder work and when I am done I do start to feel tightening, Braxton hick-like contractions! That was all the wake up call I needed! Water is in my treatment room with me at all times now and I drink a couple cups between clients!

I hope staying well hydrated keeps the contractions away for you!
  • Options
    I had to get IV fluids during my last pregnancy because dehydration was causing very frequent and strong Braxton hicks contractions. It was scary since I was right around this point in that pregnancy, too early to go into labor! After getting the fluids I was much more conscious about my daily fluid intake and didn't have to go back to the hospital until I had my daughter, full term.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hope everything turned out okay for you OP and the contractions stayed away.
  • Options
    Well the contractions have stayed away. I do monitor my fluid intake, just the act of vomiting set the contractions off very fast. 
  • Options
    Glad they stayed away! I'm really trying hard to drink more as well.