March 2016 Moms

*All Things Birth/Labor*

I thought we could use a thread to post all of our labor and birth questions. There are no dumb questions so ask away! :)
March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes

Re: *All Things Birth/Labor*

• Loading the player...
    1. Any must bring items in your hospital bag that we first-timers might not think of?
    2. Did your DH go home at all after you gave birth? Just wondering if it's unreasonable to expect there to be a chance for DH to go home a time or two to see the dogs, bring a clothing item from the LO, etc. My mom should be there, so not 100% necessary though.
    3. Do you call your doctor or anyone for a labor heads up or do you just show up to the hospital and whoever is there is the doctor  you deal with? (probably a question I'll ask my doctor today)
    4. If I am at work when I go into labor or my water breaks, what is the likelihood I'll be able to drive myself home or to the hospital? (Home and hospital are about a 40 minute drive from work with no traffic, hospital is about a 10 minute drive from home)

I'm sure I'll have more - TIA!

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• 1. I try to remember any chargers I may need. I'm sure you'll be snapping many pics :)

2. I don't think it's unreasonable to have SO leave if need be.

3. My doctor likes a call into the office and L&D to give a heads up.

4. I can't answer lol.
  • After my first was born and we all FINALLY got some sleep, the Mister went home to get his bass guitar!
  • kfarr26kfarr26 member
    edited December 2015
    I also wonder about how likely it is that I'd be able to drive myself if I start having contractions at work. I live about 30 minutes from work (mostly 70 mph highway driving) and hospital is on the way - about 5 minutes from home.

I have in my head that from the first contraction, I'd have plenty of time to drive home, get anything I need and then go up to the hospital with my husband since I'd call on my way for him to meet me at home. I also wouldn't think early contractions would be terrible to drive with. Is this crazy to think?
    1. Any must bring items in your hospital bag that we first-timers might not think of?
    Chapstick!  Chargers. Slippers. Comfy lounge clothes (probably maternity lounge wear since you definitely won't be shrunken down too much yet).  Take home outfit for baby.  Definitely overnight clothes/shoes/underwear for your husband (if you're packing) - both times I was really bad about this and MIL had to make walmart runs for him.  Ooh yeah, make sure you have your toothbrush and toothpaste - it can get pretty stanky and furry in there, especially after labor/delivery.  I actually packed granola bars/electrolyte drink for labor - check to see if your doctor/nurses are ok with you eating/drinking.  You expend so much energy during labor/delivery, but also be prepared to puke it up during labor due to the hormones. 
    1. Did your DH go home at all after you gave birth? Just wondering if it's unreasonable to expect there to be a chance for DH to go home a time or two to see the dogs, bring a clothing item from the LO, etc. My mom should be there, so not 100% necessary though.
    DH ran errands a few times and even went fishing since we had an extra night of stay due to jaundice - we had to stay over his birthday - he was bored out of his mind at the hospital and was driving me crazy.  The hospital stays are mostly a blank for me but yes, there is plenty of time for your DH to get out.
    1. Do you call your doctor or anyone for a labor heads up or do you just show up to the hospital and whoever is there is the doctor  you deal with? (probably a question I'll ask my doctor today)
    Up to your doctor but as soon as I hit the magic number I called the on-call midwife (doctor in your case it sounds like) and she told me to come in.  This number was 3-1-1 - ctx 3 (to 4) minutes apart lasting for an hour, around a minute long.  Get yourself a ctx timer app - they keep track of your ctx, you just press start and stop.
    1. If I am at work when I go into labor or my water breaks, what is the likelihood I'll be able to drive myself home or to the hospital? (Home and hospital are about a 40 minute drive from work with no traffic, hospital is about a 10 minute drive from home)
    I've driven to the hospital with ctx at 18 weeks and it sucked - you can be in a LOT of pain and it's really hard to concentrate.  And you can be emotional.  When I had my ctx run at 24 weeks this go around, I would not have been able to drive.  I would not recommend it as you are VERY distracted during ctx.  If you're at work, maybe try to get a backup coworker to drive you - at least have a backup plan.

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• So- WHEN would you normally pack your hospital bag?  I may sound like I'm jumping the gun, but I feel like doing it just after Christmas- but that's just me trying to prepare for another preterm labor too.  I didn't have a bag packed last time and ended up having people scrounge my house for clothes/things I'd need.
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @flowerpower5838
    1) Agree with other PPs - chargers are a must. Consider an external battery-style phone charger. Our phones ran out of juice so we didn't get many pics of our LO from c section to our hospital room because both our phones died and the room had no convienent chargers. Also, toothbrush for hubby not just clothes. Mine ate subway beforehand and it drove me crazy that I told him to use my toothbrush. Good snacks are also awesome - granola bars and Gatorade are good for labour but I wanted croissants and Perrier for once I felt better. Also if you plan on BFing bring your pillow.

2) We live a 7-10 minute pregnant lady walk from our children's hospital so when my very slow induction took a bad turn with baby's HR being a little "off" my husband ran home, grabbed our bags, took the dog for a walk grabbed subway (see toothbrush comment) and got back within 45 minutes. The nurses told him I'd be admitted but it'd be hours and hours before anything happened. He checked in with me when he got back to the hospital before he ate. Baby and I were doing fine so he had one last real meal. I would NOT have felt comfortable had I know he wasn't a 3/4 minute run away. Seriously hubby is fast he could probably do it in less than that.

Also one weird thing my hospital had a policy on was pads. You couldn't use always infinity style because it's hard to get samples from and they need to know how much you're bleeding of a regular pad. They had normal giant ones there so it wasn't a big deal but other hospitals might not be so generous. I'd also bring a few newborn sleepers - everyone said not to worry about buying newborn stuff but my little overdue peanut didn't fit into 0-3 month stuff for awhile, he just swam in the clothes and wasn't comfortable.
      Honestly, other than a camera, a change of clothes for you (that you can come home in...something comfy) and clothes and a car seat for baby, you shouldn't NEED anything. They have everything there. Snacks are good, to save you money, chargers for you devices, I brought a Boppy which did make nursing in the bed easier. 
    2. Did your DH go home at all after you gave birth? Just wondering if it's unreasonable to expect there to be a chance for DH to go home a time or two to see the dogs, bring a clothing item from the LO, etc. My mom should be there, so not 100% necessary though.
      Yes, he did. Though, not until after the baby had come. We had someone else lined up to see to the dog, which is a good idea if you can swing it. 
    3. Do you call your doctor or anyone for a labor heads up or do you just show up to the hospital and whoever is there is the doctor  you deal with? (probably a question I'll ask my doctor today)
      I knew the liklihood of my doc delivering my son was slim because he was within a year from retirement and really only delivered if babies were born in the middle of the day. So I just went in. I assume they called him, but I ended up having the midwife on duty deliver my son.
    4. If I am at work when I go into labor or my water breaks, what is the likelihood I'll be able to drive myself home or to the hospital? (Home and hospital are about a 40 minute drive from work with no traffic, hospital is about a 10 minute drive from home)
      Once your water breaks (if it does) you will not be able to drive based on my experience. The contractions will be hot and heavy after that, and you'd need someone else to take you. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• kfarr26 said:
    I also wonder about how likely it is that I'd be able to drive myself if I start having contractions at work. I live about 30 minutes from work (mostly 70 mph highway driving) and hospital is on the way - about 5 minutes from home. I have in my head that from the first contraction, I'd have plenty of time to drive home, get anything I need and then go up to the hospital with my husband since I'd call on my way for him to meet me at home. I also wouldn't think early contractions would be terrible to drive with. Is this crazy to think?
    I'd say if they are super early contractions you could do it, but once they get going, it won't be possible. They are distracting and come out of nowhere, which isn't really safe when driving. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• You call your doctor when you feel you need to go to the hospital.

Also about driving. I drove when I had contractions. I had 2 an hour. It wasn't bad. I drove an hour to the doctor office. Fine and dandy. I actually went shopping and walking for an hour where they got stronger. Then to the doctor. Then home. By the time I was on my way home they were significant and we're not pleasant. I made it home but would not suggest this to anyone. So most likely you will make it home from work but please listen a little better than I did. I had 2 contractions every hour all day and ignored them. But I totally think you can drive home from work if needed. As long as it's very early.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also just to prepare you, the last hospital I delivered at and this new one - their policy is that only the mom can order food for free - if you order for your husband, be prepared to pay.  So either order extra "for yourself" or be prepared to send him to the cafeteria/outside the hospital.  It's not a big deal, just be prepared for it.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Hospital bag: - Nursing tanks if you're planning on nursing. I loved those things. -  Undies that can get destroyed. (My hospital provided the mesh ones, but they were uncomfortable and drove me crazy.) - A couple outfits for baby. Bring a newborn outfit. Everyone thinks their baby is going to be too big to wear newborn, but my almost 9-pounders wore newborn for the first few weeks of their lives. - Snacks, quarters for DH. At least at my hospital, no food is provided for the husband. And while I was too busy giving birth to care about hunger, he was starving. So throw in a few things for him, and quarters for the vending machine. - Boppy or nursing pillow: so helpful while you're getting the hang of nursing- Pacifiers, if you intend to use them. A lot of hospitals don't provide them anymore. I didn't care about nipple confusion. I started my babies on them from day one. 
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • I never packed a bag for #1 - was supposed to do it that next day; husband was mucho displeased to have to pack my bag while I was screaming in labor LOL
    With #3 I made sure it was packed at 39w, so it was ready when he was at 41w.

I just remember feeling overpacked for the first two. We never really got out any of the cutesy clothes we brought; just kept baby in a hospital tee while we were there. For the last one we brought 1 "going home outfit" and it was just comfy and practical, nothing exciting.
    I also brought a ring sling - didn't take up much room in my bag. With #2 I brought my stretchy wrap.
    Oh! Fingernail clippers! First baby was born with long scratchy fingernails and kept scratching his face. I know some people just pull them off with their teeth in those early days, but I felt more controlled with clippers. (I'm not a big fan of the little mittens, but that's an option too - our nursery had neither).
    Also brought my body pillow, was so glad to have it. I just used all the hospital's stuff as far as soap/shampoo etc.
    Bring an extra empty bag to put anything in you want to bring home from the hospital, like gifts people drop off, or all the stuff from your room. You can take pretty much everything but the furniture - get all those newborn diapers, the Chux pads, the baby shampoo, the witch hazel pads and dermoplast and maxipads and the ice packs that go in your undies, your sitz bath …
    This time I'm bringing those Depends Silhouettes to wear instead of the mesh undies.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Ooh yeah I'm totally echoing @oceanchild, stock up on their pads, witch hazel pads (those things are miraculous), Dermoplast - if you can get extra (especially if you need stitches for tearing - it numbs EVERYTHING!!!), bulb syringes.  You pay for it so why not utilize it (the hospital bulb syringes are by far better than anything you can buy).  If you happen to have to stay longer than the 2 days in case LO has to do an extended stay, they most likely will not provide you with support - like the pads/witch hazel pads - so hoard them like crazy!!!
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Bag: chargers, chapstick, nursing friendly pjs/loungewear, robe, slippers, outfit for baby to wear home, toiletries, pillow

Husband: didn't go last time but will this time to get DD and walk the dog. Might not have option of staying at this hospital depending on demand (only 1/3 friends have been lucky). I will probably send him out for takeout because the food is allegedly terrible.

Doctor call: we called the hotline and they told us to go in. My main doctor randomly was there but it could've been anyone in the practice. This time we use the hospital doctor so it'll be a new person, which matters not at all for me.

Driving: could've driven in early labor but not when I needed to go to the hospital. I was having contractions all week but morning of (Friday) I woke up knowing it would be the day. I hit real labor in the late afternoon as opposed at night. I'm hoping to walk this time (about a mile from house and we are dropping DD off on the way and its a pain to get our car out of our garage).
  • oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited December 2015
    My husband has gone to do stuff while we were admitted every time. First baby he ran home to let some people in to deliver furniture we had ordered. Second baby he went out for a few to get some stuff for our house - we had just moved in 5 days before she was born. Third baby I sent him out to fill all my junk food cravings that I was having (or when the hospital served a meal I didn't like LOL

#1 we just showed up at the hospital. #2 was a scheduled induction (which I still have regrets about agreeing to). #3 my doula called my OB's cell and woke him up on the way to the hospital. Husband had always driven me. No freaking way in hell I could have sat in a car seat let alone driven!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • 1. I brought the basics like some comfy maternity PJs, sleeping bra, nipple cream, flip flops, a set of clothes to go home with (and for the baby too), some facial lotion, my PHONE, camera and that's about it.  I think this time around I'll put in a few cup of noodles and a change of clothes for hubby.

2. Yes he went home a few times.  We live really close to the hospital.  He actually went back the next morning to take a nap and shower because he was exhausted from the night before.  I had some complications after labor so he stayed up all night with me in the ICU and ran back and forth to the nursery to see our baby.  This time around I think he will sleep at home because DD probably needs him more than me, especially at night. 

3. Contraction started around 2am and was 20 mins apart at first.  I tried to lay in bed and got some more rest.  Around 5am it got to be about 10 mins apart and I couldn't sleep anymore, so I got up, took a warm shower, packed my bag and had some breakfast. I did call my OB but she was apparently delivering other babies so she couldn't call back.  By 7am my contraction was 5 mins apart so I just went to the hospital. My OB finally came around 9am and she broke my water.  So from my experience... no you technically don't need to call your OB.  As long as you register at the hospital ahead of time (I don't think it's required either but it helps to speed up the process), you can just show up and they will know what to do.  I was nervous when my OB didn't call me back but she told me in advance that if anything, just go to the hospital if (1) my water breaks or (2) if contraction is 5 minutes apart consistently.

4. I heard the likelihood of the water breaking first is actually not as high as having contraction first. If you have constant contraction, you should not drive. Sometimes if the water breaks, it's more like gentle leaking.  I probably still won't drive but I don't know the official answer.
  • irenewsleeirenewslee member
    edited December 2015
    What do you plan on doing with your other young kids when you go into labor? Most of my family members live out of town (at least 6 hours away).  The only close ones are my brother and SIL who live in the same town as us but I wouldn't trust him with my daughter. My daughter is also very attached to us and wouldn't really go to anyone other than the ladies at daycare.  If contractions happen at night, I'm just worried that we will be in an awkward position and I wouldn't want my husband to miss out on the LO's birth moment. 
  • What do you plan on doing with your other young kids when you go into labor? Most of my family members live out of town (at least 6 hours away).  The only close ones are my brother and SIL who live in the same town as us but I wouldn't trust him with my daughter. My daughter is also very attached to us and wouldn't really go to anyone other than the ladies at daycare.  If contractions happen at night, I'm just worried that we will be in an awkward position and I wouldn't want my husband to miss out on the LO's birth moment. 
    I'm lucky enough to have my in-laws nearby and MIL watches my boys, so they will naturally go with her for a few days.  Do you have any friends you trust that you can call in the middle of the night?  Could you work out to have your DD stay with the ladies at daycare overnight? 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• skruhmin I think it's definitely ok if I have contraction during the day and ask those ladies to keep her for a few extra hours.  But it's hard to plan when these things happen... I'm trying to ask my in laws to come a little earlier in case I go into labor early, but that means spending even more time with them.  They insist to stay for a month after LO is born. I think I may go crazy with them around 24/7 but I may have no choice... I can only handle them for so long at a time.  
  • Holy Cow, this thread makes me realize crap is getting real.  I guess I was just planning on feeling crappy and crampy and totally being able to tell things are coming, working a few hours at work, meeting husband back at home, dropping off an over night bag at daycare with DD1 (grandma works there/will take home), notifying OB office, and heading to hospital.  Maybe that's unrealistic for dd2.  I will totally be nuts about packing and getting car seat installed early, but will be packing light, I mean like it's all going to fit into a book bag this time around.  We took a huge duffle bag just for me/baby last time, and I remember being in so much pain hovering over the bag just to find shampoo for a shower, plus my head wasn't even working yet. I didn't read every post, so maybe it was mentioned - but baby book, sentimental items you might want for pics (grandma's hand made blanket, head band we used for dd1 hospital pics)  They did ask me for it and did prints/you might find it a nice activity to write in pre/post delivery.  Bring an extra bag or leave room for gifts/cards etc.  They will have a cart to get you to your car, but we had balloons and flowers going everywhere, books, cards etc, that went into a bag.  A nice folder to put all important docs (hospital might give you one).  note book to write down feedings, diapers, bleeding, or questions.  I had questions/requests and then when a tech/nurse would stop in I would totally forget.  Husband didn't receive hospital meals during my visit either, but he would run out, fam would bring it when they came or he would visit cafeteria.  I usually had him out hunting for me something anyway.  underwear- bring like 3x as many pairs as you think, and a size bigger than you think, even if that's a size bigger than you want.  I didn't mind the hospital ones, but I was a freak about changing my sheets/cleaning myself etc. constantly.  Squirt bottle if you aren't confident your hospital gives them.  My sister gave me tucks pads and numbing spray for dd1 and it was heaven.  hospital had some of that, but you had to ask.  they also made ice diapers, but you had to ask.  nipple cream if you nurse, I wanted/needed/used it right away basically and still got sandpaper boobs.  Also think about/talk how you want to handle visitors.  I told nurse to enforce a pretend 8pm visitor hours rule, and also had a nurse snap on my SIL for using my bathroom (thankfully, because that's my area, don't need you in it).  Our family just comes and sit and stays, and it's annoying.  Most hospitals let you pre-register shortly before your due date - something else to think about.  They record your feeding preference, paci rules, etc.  I'm sure they would note anything else you mentioned. 
  • A new question, I didn’t want it lost in my post above.  I 100% plan to nurse again.  I am a planner, so that means I also need a back-up plan to remain mentally sane.  If I have a serious medical situation going on, I assume the hospital would talk to my husband and give the baby formula if needed until I’m well enough to nurse/pump.  They supply formula I assume? I have a specific brand I want baby on, if formula is needed and baby tolerates that brand.  I’d rather not switch if not needed.  Should I take some with me?

And to anyone feeling confused/overwhelmed, it could be worse.  My SIL is a labor/delivery nurse and she's told me some stories.  One family was baffled by the need to have a car seat to take baby out of the hospital.  When my SIL explained the requirement, the father asked where that could be purchased - he needed to leave to go get one.  This was recently, not like 20 years ago. 

• @irenewslee It may not be ideal (and check your hospital policy), but I have friends who have brought their other child with them. Worst case scenario, anyway.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Okay I'm posting again, I thought of something else - being STUCK in a hospital room.  It drove me nuts last time around.  As soon we we checked in for Pitocin induction, I felt stuck in the bed.  Can I request to get up and walk at that point? I know once the epi comes they want you to sit/lay but before that I'm pushing for being up.   Also, after baby was born, husband was in nursery giving baby bath while family viewed from the nursery window.  I was moved from delivery room to post partum room and sat there alone for an hour.  I feel like I could have sat in a wheel chair and joined the nursery/window, especially for later in our visit when they took baby down for testing, etc.  Can I ask for a wheel chair?  One time I did walk down, which was fine, we didn't even ask we just went, and the walk back was terrible as my insides felt like they were falling out - but in a wheel chair I totally could have.  I was totally naïve last time, but considering actually speaking up this time on more things. 

• A new question, I didn’t want it lost in my post above.  I 100% plan to nurse again.  I am a planner, so that means I also need a back-up plan to remain mentally sane.  If I have a serious medical situation going on, I assume the hospital would talk to my husband and give the baby formula if needed until I’m well enough to nurse/pump.  They supply formula I assume? I have a specific brand I want baby on, if formula is needed and baby tolerates that brand.  I’d rather not switch if not needed.  Should I take some with me?

And to anyone feeling confused/overwhelmed, it could be worse.  My SIL is a labor/delivery nurse and she's told me some stories.  One family was baffled by the need to have a car seat to take baby out of the hospital.  When my SIL explained the requirement, the father asked where that could be purchased - he needed to leave to go get one.  This was recently, not like 20 years ago. 

Yes the hospital will provide formula.  In fact, they have a ton that you can ask to take home with.  I had complications after delivery and was heavily medicated and sent to the ICU after some operations.  They also couldn't leave the baby in the ICU with me so DD was sent to the nursery and was given formula until I was allowed to breastfeed the next day. Even then, they only brought her up to me during feeding time and had to take her away right after.
  • @flowerpower5838 if you're one of us in the minority who have our waters break before labor actually starts, you will probably be able to drive yourself home. It's not like in the movies where WHAM, water breaks and woman is practically ready to push. Usually it takes at least several hours (or 20 . . . or 30 . . .) for things to become intense. It might be a little harder to tell if it's labor and or a false alarm without your water breaking, but you'll still probably have time to figure that out and drive yourself home (or call someone if you don't think you can drive).

Can't speak for the other questions really since I've gone the birth center route and we're all home again 4-6 hours after the birth. I second the advice to pack a larger outfit though. I packed two newborn sleepers for my overdue DS and he didn't fit in either of them. Oops.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Okay I'm posting again, I thought of something else - being STUCK in a hospital room.  It drove me nuts last time around.  As soon we we checked in for Pitocin induction, I felt stuck in the bed.  Can I request to get up and walk at that point? I know once the epi comes they want you to sit/lay but before that I'm pushing for being up.   Also, after baby was born, husband was in nursery giving baby bath while family viewed from the nursery window.  I was moved from delivery room to post partum room and sat there alone for an hour.  I feel like I could have sat in a wheel chair and joined the nursery/window, especially for later in our visit when they took baby down for testing, etc.  Can I ask for a wheel chair?  One time I did walk down, which was fine, we didn't even ask we just went, and the walk back was terrible as my insides felt like they were falling out - but in a wheel chair I totally could have.  I was totally naïve last time, but considering actually speaking up this time on more things. 

Yes you should be allowed to walk around on pitocin, it will most likely be in a pump attached to your IV.  In fact walking around/moving around is recommended to keep things going.  I don't know how many laps I made in the halls on D Day.  And it doesn't hurt to ask about anything - and yes, I would recommend a wheel chair. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• What do you plan on doing with your other young kids when you go into labor? Most of my family members live out of town (at least 6 hours away).  The only close ones are my brother and SIL who live in the same town as us but I wouldn't trust him with my daughter. My daughter is also very attached to us and wouldn't really go to anyone other than the ladies at daycare.  If contractions happen at night, I'm just worried that we will be in an awkward position and I wouldn't want my husband to miss out on the LO's birth moment. 

My kids stay at home with a close family member while I go to the hospital with my husband. After delivery they come meet the baby and then my husband will take them all home and come back the next day to visit more, then the next to pick baby and I up.
  • Dumb/personal question, but we had our childbirth class this weekend and I was too embarrassed to ask, so to The Bump I go!  If you are having a vaginal delivery, do they shave you when you get to the hospital?  I'm pretty sure I've heard that you get shaved if you have a c-section, but I wasn't sure about vaginal.  
  • I have a question about the HEP B Vaccine. I have read that this is given to your baby within 12-24 hours of birth. Without getting into a vaccine debate, does anyone have experience with requesting that their baby not be given this vaccine during their stay? If so, did the nurses listen to you? One of my 3 irrational birth fears is that they will give the vaccine without my consent when they take the baby out of the room.