April 2016 Moms
Options

How do you know the difference?

I sneezed this evening and it felt like I pee'd myself- it was just a little bit. How do I know if it was actually pee or if my fluid is leaking?

I know this is a silly question it just makes me nervous and I've never pee'd myself before.

Re: How do you know the difference?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    It's harder to tell the farther along you get but it's pretty normal to pee you self a bit when you are pregnant. Usually sneezing = pee.

In my last pregnancy I thought my fluid might be leaking and the nurses had me lie down for an hour and then stand up if I felt fluid when I stood up to go in to be checked. This was a great way to tell buy something I wouldn't worry about until you get closer to your due date
  • Options
    Thank you! I felt that it really wasn't an issue but I was just letting my imagination get the best of me and start to think of the worst...

...And I was really embarrassed that I actually pee'd myself!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For future reference: smell it. Amniotic fluid has kind of a sweet ammonia-like smell. 
  • Options
    Thank you! I felt that it really wasn't an issue but I was just letting my imagination get the best of me and start to think of the worst... ...And I was really embarrassed that I actually pee'd myself!
    Have you started doing Kegel exercises? I hear that helps prevent it overtime as your pelvic muscles get stronger. All my baby books have suggested doing Kegels.
  • Options
    Amniotic fluid will keep gushing. Mine gushed constantly for the 24 hrs I was in labor all three times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    "Snissing" is very common in pregnancy. Like PP said, if it's fluid leaking, it will keep leaking, not just a one-time thing.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    Sometimes it's even normal to have quiet a bit of fluid come out. During my second pregnancy I thought for sure something serious was wrong. Enough fluid to soak through my underwear and gaucho came out, it looked like I peed on myself while walking. I went to the hospital and they said it happened to be alot of discharge that maybe the baby "kicked/hit" out of me. The point to be worried is if it continuously leaks out, that will be an amniotic leak.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input! I will definitely start doing kegel exercises- I think that will help!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Yeah there is definitely more discharge, too. I remember when I had my son it only got worse...between that and the "snissing" I went through so many boxes of liners. Like pps have said, a fluid leak will keep gushing, or increase if you get up from lying down.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    If you are leaking fluid it will keep leaking. Not necessarily a gush. I had a small high tare with DS and only dripped a few drops at a time. It didn't happen when sneezing or anything. It happened once and continued happening. And yes, it smelled sweet and not like urine at all.
  • Options
    Speaking of kegels, anyone have experience with using kegel weights/trainers?
  • Options
    I seem to leak a bunch of discharge if i walk for do sone sore of physical activity for too long. It feels like I pee myself but just because I am so wet. I see my doc tomorrow and I am gonna bring it up but she has told me discharge will increase. This only seems to happen once a day (usually morning a bit after getting out of bed). I have almost peed myself after the baby karate chopping my bladder.
  • Options
    JDK625 said:

I have used them pre-pregnancy and felt like they made a difference, HOWEVER since it is keeping something foreign in your body for a while I wouldn't really recommend it while pregnant. At least not before discussing it with your doctor.
  • Options

JDK625 said:

I have used them pre-pregnancy and felt like they made a difference, HOWEVER since it is keeping something foreign in your body for a while I wouldn't really recommend it while pregnant. At least not before discussing it with your doctor.
    I use Ben wa balls. They're non-porous metal, and can be cleaned incredibly thoroughly, so I've never worried about it.
    Incontinence hasn't ever been a problem for me...
  • Options
    welcome to the wonderful world of wearing panty liners!  I'm just glad they make them to fit thongs! Happy Snissing! 

imageimage