March 2016 Moms
Options

acid reflux wakes u up during night

Anyone else suffering from severe acid reflux? The other night i woke up choking on stomach acid i almost vomited! Considering taking prilosec any thoughts?

Re: acid reflux wakes u up during night

• Options
    It sucks. Try sitting up more when sleeping, prop yourself up with pillows!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Take meds! If your doctor is prescribing them they're safe. Also long term relfux issues (multiple kiddos) can leave to esophagus/dental damange. Not to mention you need some sleep!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Put a book or two under your headboard. Even a slight incline while sleeping will help. Try not to eat and then lay down. Sleeping on your left side also really helps.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    Helpful advice! The same thing happened to me a couple of nights ago. I propped myself up a bit, but will need to add a couple more pillows as it is still a problem.
  • Options
    JLaVO888JLaVO888 member
    edited December 2015

I thought the idea of laying on your left side really was not that big of a deal. But, I saw this image the other day posted on something completely non pregnancy related. Since then, I have been more careful about only laying on my left side consistently. I have had some major relief. Now I notice that if I lay on my right side for a few even just a minuets the burn creeps up.

• Options
    JLaVO888 said:

I thought the idea of laying on your left side really was not that big of a deal. But, I saw this image the other day posted on something completely non pregnancy related. Since then, I have been more careful about only laying on my left side consistently I have had some major relief. Now I notice that if I lay on my right side for a few even just a minuets the burn creeps up.

Yep. I happen to see something like this a few years ago and couldn't believe how much being on your left side made a difference.
  • Options
    Okay, that might explain why I've never experienced heart burn. I almost always sleep on my left side (if not on my back). I guess it's just my natural preference.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Laying on the left side makes a huge difference. The nights that I wake up choking, I am on my right side. I have also given up tomatoes ie. No pasta sauce, pizza, chili, etc. It stinks but it makes my reflux so much worse when I do eat food with tomato.
  • Options
    Yes - its Horrible:( I talked to my Dr and she said no more then 6 Tums a Day and 1 Prilosec are ok - I also have changed my Diet to cut out Citrus, tea with caffeine and chocolate. I still have the reflux, but its better then before :/ Hope that helps.

• Options

Laying on the left side makes a huge difference. The nights that I wake up choking, I am on my right side. I have also given up tomatoes ie. No pasta sauce, pizza, chili, etc. It stinks but it makes my reflux so much worse when I do eat food with tomato.

It's totally the tomatoes for me too! Its a pain how many quick/easy meals rely on tomatoes too.
  • Options
    I made the mistake of eating dinner at 8 last night. 2 am I jumped out of bed with horrible back and chest pain. I thought I was having a heart attack I was in so much pain. Up for 2 1/2 hrs basically in tears. Finally ended up throwing up everything I had for dinner. It all came from my esophagus and not my stomach- the relief was instantaneous. Had a GP visit today he told me to take the Zantac 2 times a day from here on out instead of when I need it. I have asthma too so he's not loving the fact that I'm having so much reflux as it's messing with my asthma
  • Options
    JLaVO888 said:

I thought the idea of laying on your left side really was not that big of a deal. But, I saw this image the other day posted on something completely non pregnancy related. Since then, I have been more careful about only laying on my left side consistently. I have had some major relief. Now I notice that if I lay on my right side for a few even just a minuets the burn creeps up.

Wow!! Never knew this, thanks!!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We keep the head of our bed against the wall. I then use 3 pillows to prop myself against the wall. It help my hips, heartburn, and let's me sleep on my back as that is my natural preference. I basically lay at like a 60 degree angle.
  • Options
    @JLaVO888 thank you for that picture!! I rolled over to my right side last night and the heartburn immediately flared up. I rolled back over to the Left and it pretty much disappeared!! Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and you saved me months of horrible discomfort!
  • Options
    red3ye said:

We keep the head of our bed against the wall. I then use 3 pillows to prop myself against the wall. It help my hips, heartburn, and let's me sleep on my back as that is my natural preference. I basically lay at like a 60 degree angle.

Walmart and Target make "wedge" pillows. You should check them out :)
  • Options
    Eat well before bed time....

Always have tums and a glass of water bedside....

Just went on a prescription pill and it's q00 times better (Tums is a bit upset I am not going through a jar a week)

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Options
    I started taking Prilosec and it made a huge difference.  Then once my daughter was born my heart burn/acid reflux went completely away. I have once again started taking it, because no matter what I had it.  I did consult my doctor and they recommended it over Tums or others because it does not contain sugar. Good luck! 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies very helpful! I ended up taking prilosec and have not had another chocking episode *crossing fingers* however, i came to the conclusion that milk was making my acid reflux worse so i have bought almond milk instead and have cut out all greasy.spicy,citrusy foods. I also eat throughout the day rather than three large meals. It sucks because I'm always so thirsty and can only drink a couple sips of liquids at a time since my stomach is getting "smaller"
  • Options
    P.S. i still get occasional acid reflux but nowhere near as bad as before
  • Options
    Okay, I've never had acid reflux or heartburn before. I assume they are not the same thing. Yesterday, I was trying to walk on the treadmill and took a drink. I seriously had to stop walking because it felt like the water was pushing upwards on my throat. Almost as if it could come back up. It wasn't nausea....but it felt like it wasn't going down all the way. Just water!!

Then before bed, it happened again!

Is that acid reflux or heartburn? It didn't hurt, but I was afraid to bend over for fear it would spurt out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    arcanejinxarcanejinx member
    edited December 2015
    ^that how reflux feels to me.

I had bad reflux a few weeks ago-got something from the pharmacist and it helped. Couple days ago it was back and I mentioned it to my OB. Once I told him I have a history of ulcers he put me on Zantac twice a day. He said any history of ulcers can mean bad reflux during pregnancy.

I have been sleeping on my left side and I naturally sleep at about a 45 degree angle but it just wasn't enough. Don't be afraid to ask for something-I'm actually getting some sleep the past few nights.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • Options
    Heart burn and acid reflux are actually considered the same thing by some doctors. Heartburn causes the reflux normally. Reflux come up, heart burn stays down in my experience.
  • Options
    Very very busy 2 weeks... was like TOTALLY sound asleep tonight.... BAM! ACID REFLUX FROM HELL... seriously.
    now I'm wide awake... pacing bathroom waiting on the Prevacid to kick in.... ugh
  • Options

Okay, I've never had acid reflux or heartburn before. I assume they are not the same thing. Yesterday, I was trying to walk on the treadmill and took a drink. I seriously had to stop walking because it felt like the water was pushing upwards on my throat. Almost as if it could come back up. It wasn't nausea....but it felt like it wasn't going down all the way. Just water!!

Then before bed, it happened again!

Is that acid reflux or heartburn? It didn't hurt, but I was afraid to bend over for fear it would spurt out.

Sounds like acid reflux to me i have experienced both heartburn and acid reflux and although they are similar acid reflux is more of a gurgling of acid. A midwife reccomended i also take papaya enzyme as instructed on the bottle has also helped tremendously!
  • Options
    Reflux and heartburn are the same thing. The heartburn is just what the burning sensation caused by gastroesophageal reflux is called in plain English. What happens is the sphincter muscle and the end of your esophagus relaxes and allows stomach contents (acid) to travel back up into the esophagus, causing the burning sensation, chest pressure, sore throat, vomit-like substance in your throat. If you're having frequent acid reflux, it's important to get it treated as the stomach acid can erode the esophagus.

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • Options
    And here i am looking for this VERY post. I woke up at 1:30am with bad acid (i was on my left side even), it's 2:40am I've been propped up a while and it still hasnt subsided. Have to be up to go to work in 2 hrs, oh joy!!! Apparently a BLT was not the best food before bed, go figure ^-^ night ladies!
  • Options

And here i am looking for this VERY post. I woke up at 1:30am with bad acid (i was on my left side even), it's 2:40am I've been propped up a while and it still hasnt subsided. Have to be up to go to work in 2 hrs, oh joy!!! Apparently a BLT was not the best food before bed, go figure ^-^ night ladies!

It can be hard to do during pregnancy but try to stay away from greasy, spicy or acidic (tomatoes, etc.) foods before bed and that should help. :)
  • Options
    Also, as a side note, it is believed that the same hormones that cause hair growth also cause heart burn: so there is some truth behind the myth that heartburn means a baby with hair
  • Options

Yes i agree with tamaraatown stay away as much as you can from greasy foods! Meatsauce is what triggered my chocking episode :( u could always try papaya enzyme if you have bad acid or feel too full again! I've been taking it and it works wonders!
  • Options
    I had acid reflux for 3 years before I was even pregnant, so, thankfully, I know how to handle it now. For the first almost 6 months of pregnancy, it pretty much went away other than occasional heartburn. It was amazing. I was able to eat and drink things without worry that I hadn't been able to for a few years.

However, for the past couple of weeks, it's been back with a vengeance. I'd wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm going to throw up acid, but not actually be able to throw up anything.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Reflux got me like

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • Options
    Damn snacking before bed. It's 4:45 am and I'm laying here crying I'm in so much pain. Waiting to the Zantac to kick I. So I can go back to bed.
  • Options
    I think I found relief and wanted to share! I picked up a set of bed risers the other day and haven't had any reflux since we put them under the head of the bed. So much better than having 900 pillows propping your head and neck up.

They're 5" which is too high DH and I feel like we're going to slide off the bed. Just ordered 3" from Amazon to see if that still helps.
  • Options
    Yesterday, the bloating and gas was so bad, I almost threw up several times. Once, the only reason I didn't was because I hadn't eaten in 5-6 hours. It was miserable. I was at a friend's house at the time, too. I felt so horrible for doing that in their bathroom and then making us leave early. It's getting to the point that it seems like I'm not feeling well any time I go over to this friend's house either.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker