March 2016 Moms

Dr. Complaints

Not sure if I'm just being dramatic or what, but I was originally seeing a midwife and at my last appointment I saw a Dr (same office). He comes through the door and tells me my BP was elevated (it's been slightly elevated at all of my appointments), however I check my BP at work all the time and it's always normal. I told him this. Then he says, well I'm going to be inducing you at 37/38 weeks. I looked at him like he was crazy and asked why. He told me because my BP has been elevated and I consistently have protein in my urine. He also said I'll be getting twice weekly non stress tests starting at 32 weeks. I also had blood in my urine and was told I'm heavily colonized with GBS.

After he tells me all of this he then says, I think this kiddo is going to be big. At this point he hasn't even measured me. So when he does, he says yeah you're definitely measuring big. I asked how big and he said 27 weeks. I said OK I'm 28 weeks and I measured 27 two weeks ago so how am I measuring big? I seriously think he just looked at my size and assumed (bc I'm plus sized). So he looks at my 20 week u/s and sees my baby was measuring in the 24th percentile and then says well I guess she caught up.

Does it seem like he's just being overly cautious about wanting to do an induction or is he just trying to make it convenient for him? This is my 3rd baby, my boys both came 11 and 6 days late on their own with no complications.

I've thought about switching hospitals altogether but I chose this one because it's only 2 miles away. All the other hospitals are a good hour away and I'm nervous I won't make it there on time for delivery because my 2nd son came after about 5 hours, and with having the GBS you need at least 4 hours on the antibiotics. Ugh. Should I just trust the Dr or should I be concerned?

Re: Dr. Complaints

• It's always up to you about at least seeking a 2nd opinion however, with the blood pressure and protein/blood in your urine I'd (personally) take that seriously. The weight, ehh, btdt and he wasn't as "large" as they guessed and we all know those are often off. Like I said though, everyone is different and you know yourself better than any of us so at the end of the day that's a personal decision. I hope everything goes good though!
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • It sounds like you're already concerned. If there's one thing I've learned from hanging around these boards, it's that too many women have unnecessary inductions. Of course there are situations where an induction is warranted, (and I'm not at all qualified to judge if your doc is overly cautious or not) but honestly, even if this doctor is "right" it sounds like you don't have a lot of faith in him. I'd at least look into other options, it can't hurt.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely seek out a second opinion. Even if he's right about the elevated BP and protein in the urine, his bedside manner is atrocious and it sounds like he's just steamrolling you rather than really listening to you and explaining your options. If you are feeling iffy about him now, imagine how you'll feel when you're vulnerable and in labor.
  • Do your gals think I'd be OK just sticking with the midwife? I actually really liked her, she just wasn't available for my last appointment. She listens to my concerns and I actually have a few other friends who see her currently and they really like her too. Just wondered if she'd at least be willing to do the extra non stress tests just to make sure everything is fine. My next appt is set with her anyways so I will ask her what she thinks about all of it. :)
  • kitteh81kitteh81 member
    edited December 2015
    I had assumed that you had been transferred over to the ob for care because of the concerns he brought up. Has the midwife mentioned the protein in your urine? Did the Dr tell you what your protein levels were? Low levels can indicate a UT I or other infection, which wouldn't be a big deal. If it's pre-e your protein levels would be high, coupled with consistently high bp. But it sounds like that might not be the case.
  • I don't think he's totally off about potentially having to induce you because of your blood pressure/protein/blood in urine. Those do seem like serious concerns. Even if your blood pressure seems normal at work it could (and probably will) go up in your 3rd trimester.
    I'd be annoyed about his size comments, but probably not enough to switch to a hospital over an hr away with baby #3. If he mentioned inducing solely based on size id have a problem with that, but based on the other factors, it does sound like blood pressure will likely become an issue for you. Maybe you can request the midwives for your upcoming appointments since you feel more comfortable with them.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He may have the worst bedside manner I've heard of in awhile but he's likely bang on about needing an induction if your BP stays elevated with protein in your urine. That is a indicator of pre eclampsia and it can turn ugly quick. If you have any vision problems, swelling, rapid weight gain please go into your doctor.
    You may be fine but I think he was trying to prep you in the "just in case scenario". My cousin's wife had undiagnosed pre e that resulted in a 2 week hospital stay for her. Not to scare you, her BP was hovered around the 200s when she was induced. I'm shocked they even tried to induce her (she eventually had a section) but she was early at 33 (nearly 34 wks). Maybe you can see if your midwife can follow you and she can refer you if/when your BP/protein is still high.
  • Do your gals think I'd be OK just sticking with the midwife? I actually really liked her, she just wasn't available for my last appointment. She listens to my concerns and I actually have a few other friends who see her currently and they really like her too. Just wondered if she'd at least be willing to do the extra non stress tests just to make sure everything is fine. My next appt is set with her anyways so I will ask her what she thinks about all of it. :)

I would for sure stick with whoever makes you the most comfortable!!! Make your next apt with her and talk out your last appointment from the doctor!! If she is who you have faith in she will be able to either better explain why he wants to induce early or she will confirm your fears and dismiss it!! This is your pregnancy and you need to comfortable with all choices even if you aren't the one getting to make em!! Good luck and I hope it all works out!!

• oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited December 2015
    i would definitely stick with the MW even if you need an induction. this doctor sounds like an arrogant ass with a power complex, and i absolutely agree with @kitteh81 about the steamrolling and not listening. all of that is not to say that yes, IF you do end up with pre-E (which can be severe and lifethreatening, or mild and requiring little to no intervention (as mine was)) you *may* need a medically necessary induction, but this jerk needs to continue to watch and reevaluate you, not just come in and *tell you what he is going to do to your body* without discussing options/risks/benefits. acutally, no - this jerk doesn't need to continue to watch you, your MW or whichever care-provider you have faith in and decide is right for you should continue to watch and reevaluate you at every visit (and that may mean more visits and stress test, sure). sorry, doctors like that really piss me off. i have worked for many doctors, and i wouldn't continue to work for one who treated his patients that way, unacceptable bedside manner, IMHO.
    i would definitely make sure that my future follow-ups were not with that doctor, and only schedule iwth my midwife. if she feels it is necessary to transfer your care to a higher level, i'd request someone else and/or get a second opinion if he is the only option in that practice.
    and don't even get me started on the size assumption, just UGH UGH UGH!!!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Thank you for the responses. Yes my midwife does know about the protein in my urine and I actually did the 24 hour urine collection back when I was around 16 weeks that she requested and that came back as normal. I am all for being induced if it's medically necessary and he did mention pre-e. I definitely want to do what's safest for me and my baby. But I just felt like he jumped the gun on induction. I think I would of felt less annoyed had he just said, OK we are going to monitor you more closely and if x happens then we might have to consider y. Instead of just right off the bat telling me he's inducing me at a set point. I don't remember what my earlier BPs were but at that appt it was 148/72. At work I'm right around 112/72. I will continue to self monitor and ask more questions. And there is one more provider at this office that I would see if needed. Thanks again, I thought maybe I was just being irrational.
  • What @oceanchild and @kitteh81 said times a million. Just because you might need those interventions doesn't mean you deserve to be treated like that. Stick with your mw or ask to see a different ob if your mw isn't available.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Basically what PP's have said. While he is right to be concerned about the protein in your urine and your elevated BP he does sound like an ass and his bedside manner sucks. I wouldn't want to see him again either. If you feel comfortable with your midwife then I would stick with her. It sounds like she was already addressing the same concerns as him. Realistically if you already have protein in your urine and an elevated BP you will more than likely have to be induced but he doesn't know that for sure at this point. I had high BP starting at 36 weeks but was monitored closely and put on bed rest until the protein was high enough to be considered Pre-E (they wanted to let DS cook as long as they could) and then delivered at 38 weeks. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would personally see someone else because his manner would put me off. 

HOWEVER, protein in your urine and high blood pressure are not something to be taken lightly. I'd be asking the midwife you've been seeing about why she hasn't raised any concerns yet. 

I know that it tends to be (and I'm not meaning to over generalize here) the trend that midwives don't provide many (if any) interventions...but I have a dear friend who suffered greatly for that (she ended up in a coma for a week with HELLP because her midwife wasn't really concerned about her protein levels and HBP). I'd get a second opinion. Soon.

My hospital is 45 minutes away, and while inconvenient, I'm working with the most professional and caring staff ever. It's worth the drive.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I agree with what others have said, but just wanted to add my two cents about GBS. If you test positive for it again, it's true that you are supposed to get the two doses 4 hours apart. But I've had GBS with both of mine, and have never been in the hospital or in labor for long enough to get both doses. I've just gotten one, and it's never been a big deal. They have kept the babies for a full 48 hours after birth to keep an eye on them, but that's it. I was told that it's not that big of a deal, especially if you have fast labors where the baby isn't hanging out in the birth canal for a long time to be exposed to the bacteria. So I wouldn't let that part of it worry you too much at least!

• Sorry about Dr. Tactless. I agree elevated BP and protein in urine can sometimes me makers of more serious issues. Don't let them slide on that.
  • The doc sounds like a jerk but I would at least get a second medical opinion. I know that most midwives are great but they are NOT doctors and I have had friends who have had very serious complications (no reason to scare you by listing but very.serious.) that I really can't help but wonder if they would have avoided by being in the hospital. It's quite possible not but imo better to be safe then second guessing.
  • I could be wrong, but it sounds like @cataleya32 is being seen by Certified Nurse Midwives who, while not medical doctors, are quite competent and do deliver in a hospital setting. They also often work closely with OBs and usually transfer care over to the OB when a case is deemed high risk.
  • I don't know if she's seeing a CNM or not, @kitteh81 but t sounds like the OB said midwife works with is a douche of the highest order. Another office would probably be best for a second opinion, so that they (the staff at first practice) don't close ranks.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Good point ^

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • There is another Dr in my office that I could see if needed. 2 Dr's actually left there recently so now there's just the idiot I saw, one other OB and then the CNM. And just to add too, the idiot I saw is super young. I'd be surprised if he was over 35 yrs old. He graduated in 2011 so he hasn't been around too long.