Trouble TTC
Options

Thanks Ladies!! (No Trigger Warnings - Just a thank you!)

So when I began lurking a few months back I kept reading info on Clomid as I began it. I've been on two cycles and only got one positive ovulation test at home. I quickly realized that you ladies here were getting monitored by an RE and moving forward with tests and other options. My GYN put me on the meds but did not monitor anything, AT ALL! I finally put my foot down today and told him I want to see an RE for monitoring, especially with my kidney disease and PCOS diagnosis. 
If I hadn't come here and read some stories, I wouldn't know that there should be close monitoring with Clomid, as my doctor didn't mention anything for it. 
Although I love my GYN, as I've been with him for 12 years, this is not his department. 
So thank you so much for sharing your stories and helping me realize I needed to move to an RE sooner than I thought!

My RE appointment is on 12/28. I got it so quick because I teach and schools are closed. Unfortunately, the hubby's job wouldn't let him come in late and the next appointment after that is almost February that we can both go to so we decided I will go to this appointment without him, although I really wish I didn't have to. I may bring my Mom for support and another set of ears but I haven't decided yet. 

Does anyone have any advice of what I should ask? Thank You!
DS born 2016

Re: Thanks Ladies!! (No Trigger Warnings - Just a thank you!)

• Options

:D  I went to my first RE appointment on my own.  There are some that they may request he will be there (I need him for mine on the 21st) but you should be fine for your first one.. although having mom with you is great!

I don't know offhand what kind of questions you should ask, since it's really an individual thing, except for sure find out about costs and what is or is not covered by your insurance.  That way, you can make a plan how to pay for what is not covered.  For me, that has always been one of the most stressful bits! 

TTC since 2011

• Options
    Congrats on taking that next step to see an RE. If I remember correctly, they didn't really ask DH too many or any questions. We did have to fill out an extensive questionarre before my first appointment with several questions directed at DH. If they haven't asked you/him to fill out anything similar, you may want to call and make sure they know DH can't make it. See if they can send you any questions they may have for DH, so you can have his responses for the appointment.

Questions to ask would be really anything that pops into your head. Maybe take your mom to ask anything she thinks of. I need to take my own advice on this but there really are no stupid questions. Can you remind us a little about your history so we can assist in coming up with questions? (Have you had an HSG, has DH had an SA? Have you had an ultrasound or any bloodwork yet? Have you been charting and if so have your charts indicated any issues like no ovulation or short LP?) Sorry if this is in your signature. I'm mainly a mobile user and can't see it.

I think having your mom there is a great idea. She'll be another set of ears to remember what the RE says, can remind you of your questions and can help come up with some.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jbal918jbal918 member
    edited December 2015
    Congrats on taking that next step to see an RE. If I remember correctly, they didn't really ask DH too many or any questions. We did have to fill out an extensive questionarre before my first appointment with several questions directed at DH. If they haven't asked you/him to fill out anything similar, you may want to call and make sure they know DH can't make it. See if they can send you any questions they may have for DH, so you can have his responses for the appointment. Questions to ask would be really anything that pops into your head. Maybe take your mom to ask anything she thinks of. I need to take my own advice on this but there really are no stupid questions. Can you remind us a little about your history so we can assist in coming up with questions? (Have you had an HSG, has DH had an SA? Have you had an ultrasound or any bloodwork yet? Have you been charting and if so have your charts indicated any issues like no ovulation or short LP?) Sorry if this is in your signature. I'm mainly a mobile user and can't see it. I think having your mom there is a great idea. She'll be another set of ears to remember what the RE says, can remind you of your questions and can help come up with some.
    Hi! I have PCOS and a Kidney Disease with Clomid treatment for two cycles. I have a internal ultrasound and bloodwork but that's it. The RE's office sent me paperwork and DH filled out his part and I faxed it back. As for charting, I use OPK's mainly because I don't sleep well ever so charting would be at different times of the night and sometimes I don't even sleep 4 hours straight! I'm going to ask about BBT at the appointment for sure! I definitely want to also know when things can get rolling but other than that, I'm not sure what I should ask. 

@Riverridgional - Congrats on the BFP!! 

*Edited because typing on my phone didn't go well with grammar lol

DS born 2016
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats!! It's been very exciting and surreal. I really started to believe getting pregnant just wasn't in the cards for me, and I was convinced my last round didn't work. Very pleasant surprise!

I don't have PCOS, so I can't think of any questions directly related to that except one to which you may already have an answer. Some people make diet changes with that diagnosis. Maybe you can ask if and what specific dietary changes may help you out.

Others I can think of:

What is her recommended course of action at this time?

Given your 2 prior rounds of Clomid, how many more would she recommend before moving to a different treatment option and what would that be?

What are her thoughts on Femera v Clomid? (Some girls on here have stated Femera can work better for people with PCOS. Again, no personal experience with that)
    Is she planning on doing a postcoital test or would she recommend IUI regardless of its results?

Should you be using OPKS or BBTs or is the monitoring she plans on doing sufficient to allow you to pinpoint ovulation (most likely, she will tell you there is no need to do either since you will be monitored and possibly given a trigger shot to time intercourse.)

What are you chances of success with Clomid v. Femera v. Injectables combined with Clomid or Femera v. Injectables alone (this may help you decide just how aggressive you want to be and how many chances you are willing to take before moving to a different treatment)? This may be looking too far down the road for you and/or may be an overwhelming response to obtain. However, I kinda wish I knew I only had a max 10% chance of pregnancy with Clomid because I probably wouldn't have tried it more than once before moving on to a higher success rate.

Questions for Billing or financial department:

Does your insurance cover anything (you can also call your insurance company and see if infertility is covered and/or diagnostics for infertility)?

If you are out of pocket (no insurance coverage), are there any packages or discounts for OOP patients?

Can they give you a print out of prices and/packages?

Any financing options (if needed?

If you pay with cash or check, is there any discount for the credit card fees they wouldn't have to pay? (My clinic didn't give a discount for this, but my friend in a different state [TN] got a 3% discount for paying in cash or check).

Good luck!! I'm glad you were able to get in so early!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    Hi!! I think it's great to finally see a RE, it just seems to give a little extra peace of mind for me. Everyone is covering a lot of great questions, I would suggest taking a small notebook that you can keep in your purse. This has been helpful because I am able to take notes during the appointments, as well as write questions when they randomly pop in my head or someone asks, and they will all be with you for you next appts. I can't tell you how many times I forgot to ask something when we first started. Another thing I found to be helpful is asking for a rough timeline or game plan. For example, cycle one: what's their plan? My RE used cycle one to complete all of my testing, scheduled consultation etc. Each time a new cycle starts, I ask for a rough timeline.....it just helps me prepare for what might/might not happen. I wish you the best of luck!!!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I got a positive LH surge (10 days late, I just wanted to keep checking!) this morning but still decided I'm going to the RE so he can monitor if I'm actually releasing eggs or just getting the surge since my gyn hasn't even done blood work since being on the Clomid. Just once, before hand.
    DS born 2016