May 2016 Moms

Winter Coats...

Alright friends... I'm quickly outgrowing my winter coat and I'm just now getting to the halfway point with the worst of winter ahead.  Are you buying a maternity coat, cloak or just making it work for this one winter?  Any product suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I just hate to spend $100 on a coat I will wear for 3 or 4 months... tops.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Winter Coats...

• I have an Old Navy maternity coat that I love. Was less than $100. I got told multiple times to just go to Walmart and buy a winter coat a size up. No thanks. I don't like "gorilla arms." Consider I live in northern New England and it gets very cold and snowy, a decent winter coat is a necessity.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I just got a really cute maternity coat from h&m...was like $70.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second h&m, I got a really cute coat with a faux fur hood.
  • I'll be stealing my husband's jackets soon. He's not very much bigger than me though, so hoping this is actually a possibility!
  • I bought a maternity coat at Destination Maternity.  Nice and big and warm...I love it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• ON no longer sells the one I own. It was a nice wool one, sort of like a pea coat. If I had to buy a new one this winter, I'd probably go with this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Faded-Glory-Maternity-Hooded-Puffer-Coat/44665783

TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• amscapeamscape member
    edited December 2015
    I'm in boston & possibly foolishly attempting to keep my regular jacket. We will see how this turns out!
  • @Bltbear82 I think we have the same one =)
  • I recently bought a new coat from Burlington as I too was outgrowing my old one. Luckily there were a couple of well priced coats that included belts. The coat I purchased is a size bigger then my old one, but I'm not swimming in it by any means. Plus the belt helps pull it in at the waist so it still feels like it fits at whatever size. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • I too got a coat from Old Navy, but they have a different style now. It was about $60 and is super worm and slightly fitted so I don't look like a walrus.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • last pregnancy I was given a seraphine wool cloak.  It worked for me all winter, but I have to say that I didn't do anything outside on purpose...
    I just went to and from work, and to bed. 

This pregnancy, I plan to wear the cloak again, but my neighbor also handed hers down to me. score!  May I also add that once you are done with your coat, if you don't have a friend to give it to, consider a womens' shelter. I've heard that coats are always needed, as well as maternity clothing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• This is the coat I have my eye on from Amazon. Probably not everyone's style, but I love it. Waiting to see if the price drops. Fingers crossed!
    Momo Maternity "Ava" Wool Blend Fold Collar Zip Up Coat - Black M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FH2J7JG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_FQXAwb170QHTH
  • I'm in New England and have been able to cling to my heavy Nike hoodie since it hasn't been that cold yet.  I have a feeling when I need something heavier, I will end up still wearing the hoodie with my winter jacket over it, unzipped.  Like you I hate to spend the money!!
  • I bought one from old navy on Black Friday for $40, but I hated it so I returned it! My friend suggested wearing my jacket with buttons and buttoning just the top, so that's what I plan on doing! And for really cold days, I'll just use my husbands!
  • Excellent taste @kami09!
  • Black or pink maternity coat from Walmart.com on sale for $16 right now!
  • My mom took me shopping for maternity clothes for Christmas and she insisted on buying me a beautiful maternity coat from Motherhood Maternity. It was like $200 though.. But she kept insisting I could use it for my future pregnancies. I love it and can't wait to unwrap it. I don't need it yet though lol

• I don't know if you'd like this option BUT I have invested in some overly large scarves and wear those with my coats to keep my middle warm since I can't button my coat anymore. Much cheaper than buying a new one.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• @doozer1345 - That's what I was also thinking, especially with my thigh-length coats that I could at least zip up the bottom third so it isn't flapping open completely.
  • I bought a midweight coat (it's the boiled wool sweater coat from Anthropologie, about $200) that's been fine so far, but the weather's been unseasonably warm. I figure that coat ought to see me through another month or so, at which time it probably won't be warm enough and it also probably won't fit anymore, and then I'll figure out what to do from there.

I suspect there's a good chance my old winter coat will suffice (it's always been pretty roomy in the middle), but that might be unreasonably optimistic. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • It snowed here today and went to grab my warmer down filled winter coat, and lo and behold, it zipped! Then I went to button it... The buttons at the bust and below the bump were fine, but right AT the bump was another story. DH nearly fell over laughing at me walking around with my coat on with the buttons in the middle undone when walking the dog. Shopping tomorrow.
  • With the above normal temps, I am praying I can get through with what I have. I have a nice coat I got from Jcrew a while back; only buttons from the neck down three buttons, leaving stomach open. Hoping that works with layers and scarves since at this point its looking like we will get through December in warm temps. Would hate to buy a coat for just 2 or 3 months!!

cat fail animated GIF

• ON no longer sells the one I own. It was a nice wool one, sort of like a pea coat. If I had to buy a new one this winter, I'd probably go with this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Faded-Glory-Maternity-Hooded-Puffer-Coat/44665783
    I might need to get this for $15 just in case!

cat fail animated GIF

• I knew I was going to need one so I bought one from Old Navy back in October when they had a 40% off deal. I think I ended up paying like $35 for it.

It's not my favorite coat but it'll fo the trick for one season. It's been unseasonably warm here so it's worked out fine so far. If it ends up getting really cold, I may have to layer but I'm okay with that.

I did splurge on new boots though. I live in NYC so I basically don't drive...ever. But I walk everywhere every single day. I walk to the grocery store, the library, my doctor, my son's doctor, etc. so I wanted a good pair of boots that'll be good for walking around in the ice and the snow, with a toddler, while pregnant.

Haven't had to wear them yet because the weather has been delightful this fall but boots I can wear next year, and the next year after that, and the year after that.
  • I just wear one of my husband's coats. He has 3. His work coat (the one I usually steal, he works in an office so it's a dressy coat), his non work coat and his "doing messy things outside" coat. I have 2, my dressy coat and my not dressy coat. Stealing my hubby's has worked the past 2 babies, but I never really had a bump. This time around I don't know if it'll make it all winter that way. I'm sure trying though because this is our last baby and I don't want to spend money on a new coat.
  • yogahh said:

ON no longer sells the one I own. It was a nice wool one, sort of like a pea coat. If I had to buy a new one this winter, I'd probably go with this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Faded-Glory-Maternity-Hooded-Puffer-Coat/44665783

I might need to get this for $15 just in case!

I have discovered that some of my maternity shirts from last time are too small. I probably ought to try on my coat so I know if I actually need to buy this one while it is still in stock.

• My sister bought me a coat from a consignment shop. It has a panel in the back that will let it stretch as my tummy grows. Consignment is awesome!
  • I live in the south without much of a winter but we do have the occasional cold day. I didn't want to invest in a maternity jacket because I hope to weigh significantly less next time I get pregnant. Old Navy had a sale one day for 50% off all coats so I just sized up. It's not super flattering but since I'll be wearing it probably less than 10 times, I didn't mind.