Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

1 year old has problems with eating

Since he first starting purred food and cereals at 6 months, my baby has not had a great relationship with food. He cries and pushes the spoon away. The only way I could feed him is if I gave him something to play with so it would distract him. Now that he's 1 year old, I am trying to get him transitioned to table food, but he still has no interest in eating. The only table food he will gladly eat are crackers, cheerios, cheese slices, and mac n cheese. Even then, he eats a very small portion of that. In the end, I have to distract him while I feed him baby food. Some foods I can tell he likes the taste but he does not like and is not used to the texture. His pediatrician recommended to cut down on his milk intake and keep trying, but it seems like he would rather starve than sit down and eat. Even at daycare he will go over 5 hours with hardly eating a thing. I've tried letting him self-feed but even that does not work. I'm not sure if he's just being a picky eater, has hypersensitivity to textures, or hates being strapped into a high chair/ booster seat. 

Re: 1 year old has problems with eating

• Since he first starting purred food and cereals at 6 months, my baby has not had a great relationship with food. He cries and pushes the spoon away. The only way I could feed him is if I gave him something to play with so it would distract him. Now that he's 1 year old, I am trying to get him transitioned to table food, but he still has no interest in eating. The only table food he will gladly eat are crackers, cheerios, cheese slices, and mac n cheese. Even then, he eats a very small portion of that. In the end, I have to distract him while I feed him baby food. Some foods I can tell he likes the taste but he does not like and is not used to the texture. His pediatrician recommended to cut down on his milk intake and keep trying, but it seems like he would rather starve than sit down and eat. Even at daycare he will go over 5 hours with hardly eating a thing. I've tried letting him self-feed but even that does not work. I'm not sure if he's just being a picky eater, has hypersensitivity to textures, or hates being strapped into a high chair/ booster seat

Could be all of the above :(

I have 2 kids, both picky eaters and it sucks. My DD is 14 months and the same way as you are describing. She would drink a whole carton of milk if I let her and only nibble on foods here and there. She has been eating what we eat since she was about 9 months old and I never really gave her baby food.

All you can do is offer healthy foods and hope he eventually starts eating more. Offer things he can pick up to give him the practice as well as spoon feeding. My daughter won't let me feed her with a spoon but she'll take the spoon and do it herself. My DD likes pouches so I give her the ones with fruits and vegetables.

It's a battle. I still battle with my almost 4 year old but there's only so much you can do you know? Decrease the amount of milk you give like the doc suggested and keep trying different foods.

• I strongly suggest making an appointment with an occupational therapist that has experience in feeding. It has been a life saver for us! My son at one ate only crunchy preferred foods and would choose to go hungry if I didn't nurse him. He has been in therapy since August and will now at least try any food I give him and he even started asking to eat real food.

• Loading the player...
  • Agree with loving wife. You need an early intervention assessment.