December 2015 Moms

Anyone used or planning to use a newborn belly band?

This may be more of a cultural thing.. My sister who doesn't yet have kids asked me if I plan to use one on LO. I had forgotten all about it but instantly remembered that growing up they always placed them on my younger siblings and cousins. It's basically a band that goes around the baby's waist to prevent the belly button from popping out (outtie). During our parenting classes we were told the cord stump shouldn't be covered so I know how that conversation with doc is going to go.

My sister swears that two of her friends didn't do it with their first born and they now have ugly belly buttons whereas they did with the second child and their belly buttons are much nicer.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Re: Anyone used or planning to use a newborn belly band?

• I think it's a little odd. My whole family has innies and we never had these bands. It's probably a genetic thing. Bring it up at your next appt and see how that goes. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm struggling to imagine what an ugly belly button would even look like and why it would matter. I hadn't heard of a belly band but I'm not surprised after hearing things like taping their ears down so they don't stick out.
  • Didn't mean to offend anyone. As I stated, it might be a cultural thing because I actually don't know anyone with an outtie which could be explained by most in our culture doing the belly band thing. Still looking for opinions from anyone who has personally used it or know of people who have. Would like to hear their take on this.
  • Didn't mean to offend anyone. As I stated, it might be a cultural thing because I actually don't know anyone with an outtie which could be explained by most in our culture doing the belly band thing. Still looking for opinions from anyone who has personally used it or know of people who have. Would like to hear their take on this.

I can almost guarantee that the bands hand nothing to do with the shape of everyone you know's belly buttons. (Especially seeing as the high majority of the world has innies.) The more you ask the more it bothers me. I'm pretty sure the ONLY person you should ask is your doctor. You say it's a culture thing, but you have implied it is for looks, not any other reason. Therefore I have little respect for this.

If, by chance, your child grows up and is unhappy with their belly button, they should be able to make the decision themselves to have surgery done.

I can almost guarantee that the bands hand nothing to do with the shape of everyone you know's belly buttons. (Especially seeing as the high majority of the world has innies.) The more you ask the more it bothers me. I'm pretty sure the ONLY person you should ask is your doctor. You say it's a culture thing, but you have implied it is for looks, not any other reason. Therefore I have little respect for this.

If, by chance, your child grows up and is unhappy with their belly button, they should be able to make the decision themselves to have surgery done.
    Yawn
  • Who cares if you have an innie or outie?
    It's a bellybutton.
    It seems rather extreme and selfish to do this.
  • Sheez! I was worried about putting a tight fitting onesie on the baby! It's a belly button for crying out loud! Just leave it alone & do what your pediatrician recommends.
  • Here is what an ugly belly button looks like!! :)

In all seriousness though, I agree with PPs.  It's a belly button...it doesn't really matter.

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• I seriously have never heard of this until this thread! I asked my cousin if she had and she mentioned her mom trying to get her to tape a quarter to her sons belly when he was a baby to do the same thing.
  • I thought innies just came with age for most people. Most little kids seem to have outies for awhile but I can't say I've seen many adult outies.
  • I'm Mexican and so is my DH and my mother in law tried to get me to do this with my first son. I said hell no, but I know that it's the normal thing to do in their family. I just think they harbor bacteria, and my son's belly button didn't heal on it's own, so i can only imagine having something covering it would have made it much worse. My son still has an innie.