December 2015 Moms
Options

Didn't Realize How Jacked Up my Lady Bits Would Feel

I'm three days PP, and I was so focused on getting my mind ready for labor, didn't think about recovery or how painful it would be!

Granted, I had an episiotomy because our daughter's pulse kept dropping when I was pushing, but there's so much going on down there -- don't know what's bleeding from where, don't know which parts are sore, scared to go to the bathroom etc. I actually went to the doctor today and was like "are you sure I can poop?" And "this can't be normal. I'm sure I have an infection." She then tells me "this is why we get our mothers cards on Mothers Day."

I guess I naively thought the only post-baby issue would be the 6 weeks of bleeding.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one!!

Re: Didn't Realize How Jacked Up my Lady Bits Would Feel

• Options
    Oh it sucks. I don't know what it will be like for me this time, but for my first daughter, I was so afraid to poop or wipe or shower or do anything down there because there was so much going on. The squirt bottle was helpful, though. I had the added bonus of a jacked up tailbone, though, so that is where most of my pain came from. 

I just remember sitting around with those mesh panties and giant pads on and feeling ridiculous. 

Good luck! It will pass before you know it. 
  • Options
    Oh I feel your pain @satindawl83 !!!
    I tore pretty bad with my first and was in an incredible amount of pain for at least a week after giving birth. I didn't even want to look down there for awhile.

That combined with barely any sleep, a new born to care for, sore nipples from breastfeeding!! Pregnancy felt like a breeze compared to those first couple of weeks. Pretty rough!

Are you able to take some kind of pain killer to cope with the pain? I had to!! The pain was way too bad.

But, the good news is you will heal and go back to normal. The body is an incredible thing!! Good luck with your recovery!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hear that frozen wash clothes are suppose to help.
  • Options
    stlmomof2stlmomof2 member
    edited December 2015
    What degree was your episiotomy? I had a 4th degree with DS and I was so scared to poop because they cut from the vagina to your anal sphincter. It took me a week to poop along with taking stool softeners. I did bleed from my vagina but not for very long. Doctors told me it was normal to feel this way. But always check with your doctor just to make sure. When is your next appointment?
  • Options
    TomekiaB said:

I'm not gonna lie I'm terrified. The pinterest "padsicles" scare me...because I can't imagine wanting to use an icy pad down there, so if people think that is good idea it must be pretty bad!

I agree, it's kind of terrifying. Which is why I made a few of them myself. I figure, now that I have some I'll probably end up with a section or (fingers x'd) nothing TOO bad down there. When I read the definition of a 4th degree tear to my husband he literally blanched & this from a zombie movie fan!
  • Options
    @LMJL I like the way you think...I might go throw some in the freezer as a prayer/protection :) I can barely read the definition of 4th degree, I definitely have not shared that info.
  • Options
    I didn't really think about recovery until now.
    Now I'm scared!
    I really hope your lady bits clear up soon!
  • Options
    I hear you! I also had to have an episiotomy - 2nd degree, and I'm not loving the recovery. Totally terrified of what's going on down there and I'm just waddling around because it feels like he stitches could tear at any moment even though the doctors assure me they won't. I guess I knew this could happen, but I refused to think about it or else I would have been more scared than I was to deliver. But it's comforting to know that women go through this all the time and they make it through just fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Assuming a vaginal delivery - should I try to shave some of this 70s bush I've got going on for post delivery care? I remember being a kid and getting my period and hating that enough. I can't imagine what it's like after pushing out a tiny human.
  • Options
    I became addicted to the sitz bath the hospital provided after my first babies. Do you have access to one? They usually sell them at pharmacies in Canada. It's like a vagina bath tub. I'd use it several times a day along with the squirt bottle. The padcicles for sure also help. it gets better! Hang in there!!!!
  • Options
    My nurses didn't let me use ice packs after day one because it doesn't promote healing according to them.
    I had a small tear and hemmoroids but am hobbling around at 4 days pp. Everything hurts. I have been living on tucks, pads, and a cream, foam, and spray. Thank god for the perinial water bottle.
    We will get better soon!!!
  • Options
    I feel your pain! I had a 3rd degree tear (i delivered without a doctor in the room so no time for an episiotomy) and oh my my lady parts are a mess swollen and bruised!!! My pillow shaped like a doughnut, Percocet, ibuprofen, colace and milk of mag have been my best friend !! But I will say when I look at my baby girl it is all so worth it!!
  • Options
    holoceneholocene member
    edited December 2015
    It's so hard. I tore horribly with my first. 

There are some really great postpartum healing products out there that were my life saver. Specifically the new mama bottom spray and bath herbs.

https://earthmamaangelbaby.com/
  • Options
    stlmomof2 said:

What degree was your episiotomy? I had a 4th degree with DS and I was so scared to poop because they cut from the vagina to your anal sphincter. It took me a week to poop along with taking stool softeners. I did bleed from my vagina but not for very long. Doctors told me it was normal to feel this way. But always check with your doctor just to make sure. When is your next appointment?

I'm not sure the degree. She didn't offer and I didn't ask! I had the appointment yesterday and she said everything looked fine and gave me some pain meds. Next appointment isn't until 6 weeks out, unless something happens in between then.

@angbrienza Yes!! My mom actually told me about those last night, so my husband ran out and got one for me (but he forgot the Epsom salt). Can't wait to try it out today.

Re; the padsicles, I actually made some of the ones from Pinterest, but stopped using them the first day. Everything I've read had said to keep the stitches as dry as possible, so sitting around in wet, icy pad doesn't seem like the best idea. I've started using a regular ice pack.

But for those lady who don't have stitches, the padsicles would be awesome.
  • Options

Assuming a vaginal delivery - should I try to shave some of this 70s bush I've got going on for post delivery care? I remember being a kid and getting my period and hating that enough. I can't imagine what it's like after pushing out a tiny human.

I got my last wax 4 weeks ago and honestly, I'm glad I didn't have a lot of hair going on down there when I came home from the hospital. Not because the doctors care, but it's easier for me take care of because it's easier access to clean up and I would think a lot of hair may cause some irritation in the sensitive parts.
  • Options
    I made some freezer pads as sprayed them with witch hazel.
    In our hospital we offer all the ladies ice packs regardless of degree of year. But they warm quickly, so the blood flow and inflammation will continue to go there for healing purposes. The area is always slightly wet due to bleeding and this doesn't interfere with the healing process.
  • Options

I made some freezer pads as sprayed them with witch hazel.
    In our hospital we offer all the ladies ice packs regardless of degree of year. But they warm quickly, so the blood flow and inflammation will continue to go there for healing purposes. The area is always slightly wet due to bleeding and this doesn't interfere with the healing process.

Good to know. At my hospital, they had ice pack pads, but the ice was contained so it didn't make the pad wet, just cold. So I had reservations about the homemade padsicles and sitting around on them. But maybe I'll give them another try!
  • Options
    satindawl83satindawl83 member
    edited December 2015
    @BellaM110 @ACarter0914 at least you know it's a possibility now!

Like I told my doctor, I would have been all good if I'd known. Nurses discharged me on Sunday, and I was feeling pretty good, then it all hit me the next day! The nurses said that I'd be healing over the next few weeks, but left out the part that I'd feel worse before I felt better.

I think we're all made to believe that a vaginal delivery is a piece of cake afterwards.
  • Options
    I honestly don't have a fear of this all, but I am REALLY dreading it! The pain, from the sounds of it all, seems to be very horrible. Good thing I don't fear pain, either! I just despise it. Of course, so does every other person out there! The one thing that bothers me, though, is the high possibility of tearing and stitches. I can NOT stand stitches at all. I had to get them in the front bend of my knee late August, after falling, and was afraid to even try to move. I didn't want to tear them!
  • Options
    Yeah I'm definitely starting to get scared about the aftermath! I have pads with witch hazel & aloe vera in the freezer ready to go though....looking forward to getting the spray bottle to bring home from the hospital. Give me all the essentials, please! Ahhh.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    My sister had a grueling labor with her son. Her epidural wore off and from the sound of it, she was just absolutely miserable during it (I mean, of course, it's labor, but still). But she said the next day, she felt great and had no complications or anything, and other than a little discomfort, didn't have any trouble walking around or anything. 

I had an easy, painless labor, but it took me weeks (and even months for the stupid tailbone) to heal properly. 

So I think it's all a crap shoot. 
  • Options
    I had an emergency cesarean and am still sore after having both of my Dr's man sized hands up my vag trying to place the internal monitor. After that ordeal I absolutely do not envy you ladies. I would almost rather recover from surgery again then deal with some of these stories you guys are telling. Childbirth just really sucks.
  • Options
    I had an easy labor and was terrified of the recovery. Yes to grooming up the lady bits! It makes the rinse after you pee smoother. I am 7 days pp and am just now starting to feel normal down there. The worst part for me was sliding in and out of the hospital bed and my bed. I'm short so that doesn't help but I would feel my stitches pull and that feeling terrified me. Dermoplast was my best friend. Much easier to just spray that on and use the pads the hospital gave me. Dermoplast and 600mg ibuprofen every 6 hours!!!
  • Options
    I know everyone heals differently, but this worries me! I have been focusing so much on having LO here, that I haven't really thought about my recovery :neutral: FTM struggle
  • Options
    I am lucky enough to be on the post partum side of this.

It hurts. I had a 2nd degree tear and am on Percocet now. But I am also sitting here snuggling my little guy and couldn't care less how much it hurts, so don't be too scared, ladies :)
  • Options
    I remember feeling really unprepared for such a painful recovery last time. I tore in both directions 2nd degree, bleh. It really does suck! I second the earth mama angel baby bottom balm. That was what finally started giving me some relief, more than the padsicles and dermoplast. Sitz bath is good too. REALLY hoping to not tear this time but at least I know what to expect if I do. Speedy recoveries ladies!!
  • Options
    I was surprised by the recovery time for my lady bits with my first kiddo. The bath with Epsom salts and oil drops, rose hips, lavender and chamomile, was so key. I didn't like the dermoplast stuff or the rinse bottle thing. I did like tucks and icing my crotch. It's a really sexy time where you feel really thankful for people who just stop by to see how you are and hold the baby.