High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

What to expect after preemie csection

Not sure where I'm supposed to post this or if this question already exists, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on what to expect with my second pregnancy after a preemie c section the first time.... Daughter was born 7/3/13 at 34 weeks emergency c section because my water broke and she was breech.

Answers

• Options
    My daughter was 30 weeks when she was born. She spent 6 weeks in the hospital. We learned a lot from the docs and nurses and we prayed a lot. She came home when she was 5 lbs. We had to wake her every two to three hours to nurse to ensure she continued to gain weight. I met a mom of a 34 weeker while when we were transferred to the level 2 nicu. Her main concerns with her baby were feeding related. He could breathe on his own without help. Nursing just took extra effort to be established. I hope your baby is healthy and strong very soon.
  • Options
    Part of that will depend on what kind of incision you had with your cesarean. At 34 weeks they should have been able to do a bikini cut, but sometimes with preemies they have to do more invasive openings. The one thing to be aware of is that once you've had one preemie, the risks of having another increase substantially. But otherwise pregnancy isn't all that different. You may be declared high risk and need more appointments but not much else.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So now that I've read your question more carefully, I see that I didn't really answer it. This is my second pregnancy too after premie birth of my daughter and so far I'm followed by an MFM bi-weekly. I'm allowed to do a trial of labour when I carry this baby to term. I am monitored more closely for preterm labour. Since it'll have been about four years since the last pregnancy, I'm trusting that the c-section scar is really strong. Other than close monitoring, hopefully your pregnancy and delivery will be quite normal.