June 2016 Moms
Options

Common cold ?

Hi all,

Anyone else struggling with a terrible cold? First it was in my nose, now I can't stop coughing. All night, I either can't breath or cough! It's absolutely miserable. I've had to sleep on the couch just to be able to prop myself up! I've taken Benadryl & even that doesn't knock me out. Calling obgyn this morning... I'm so desperate for sleep!

Re: Common cold ?

• Options
    I'm in the exact same boat! Including couch, propped up, ugh. My son has it too but at least I can give him meds. Finally got plain old Sudafed and it pretty much had the opposite effect when I went to bed, up for hours...tho I could breathe again:) been chugging liquids during the day, let me know if you find the miracle answer!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm dealing with something similar.  The dry cough has decided to linger and wakes me up at night.  Luckily, my maternity pillow keeps me propped up pretty well.

Hope you feel better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Me too :-(
    I'm not at stuffy as I was a couple days ago, but my cough is horribly embarrassing; and now I have a terribly sore throat to go with it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @arosemong

I started to get it last week. This is what I do...I got it from my ex.  I drink a cup of hot tea every hour.  You get your fluids and the hot helps soothe your throat, clears your head congestion, and eases your chest congestion.  Also, get your humidifier going!

I woke up sick in the night Thursday, back at work on Friday, and back running around all weekend. 

Try whatever tea you like but my favorite to use when I'm sick is Tazo Zen, which they do make for Keurig. 

Get better soon.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    EDD: 06/25/2006  M/C: 11/03/2005
    EDD: 04/08/2012  M/C: 09/03/2011
    EDD: 12/27/2012  Born Sleeping: 07/19/2012
    EDD: 12/07/2013  M/C 05/30/2013 & 05/31/2013
    EDD:  07/01/2016 Born sleeping: 03/02/2016

• Options
    @arosemong Ugh I totally feel for you!! 
    I'm all about the tea but I'm wary of all the herbal teas that everyone is saying to avoid while pregnant. 
    But my go-to for cold season is hot water, half a lemon, honey, and a little bit of fresh ginger. And staying super hydrated is key. If you think you had to pee before, just wait! 
    If you get a fever, I boil a big pot with lots of fresh ginger and cinnamon stick, and a little sugar and drink that all day, you really sweat out all the yuckiness. Not sure if that much cinnamon is recommended for pregnant women, I should look into that.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm so cautious over what to eat & what not to take as far as meds go! Obgyn said they don't want me to take any medicines unless it's robutussin from the pharmacist. :/ I feel like I should just stick it out..... but the not sleeping & having to function as an adult the next day is the worst haha. Going to get some ginger, lemon & douse myself with green tea & pray I can sleep tonight!! Hope everyone feels better ❤️❤️
  • Options
    Same boat.  I've been sick for over two weeks straight.  Yesterday I got prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection.  I'm also taking Mucinex and Sudafed. I went through a box of Klenex in a day and I'm up coughing half the night, sometimes to the point of vomiting a little.  My husband has been sleeping in the guest room with ear plugs for a week because of my coughing.  I'm so sick of being sick.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
     Try a humidifier at night in addition to the tea.  Feel better!
  • Options
    I am going through the same thing for about 2 wks now. It's horrible! I continue to lose weight and it's scaring the hubby. One thing I hate about the coughing fits beside the harsh cough that kills is that if I have a bladder full I have accidently wet myself a Lil lol I always have to cross my legs and hope all goes well haha yup that's my life right now. Hope you all get better soon!
  • Options
    I am going through the same thing for about 2 wks now. It's horrible! I continue to lose weight and it's scaring the hubby. One thing I hate about the coughing fits beside the harsh cough that kills is that if I have a bladder full I have accidently wet myself a Lil lol I always have to cross my legs and hope all goes well haha yup that's my life right now. Hope you all get better soon!
    I've gone through a bunch of liners and a box of thin pads in a few days in addition to the box of Kleenex for the same reason. Crossed legs are no match for the gagging/chocking/spasming cough I have. I gave up bought Poise liners today.  
  • Options
    I'm finally getting over this cold and it's really been one of the worst I've had in years, symptom-wise.

My doctor said no decongestants are safe for pregnancy so I took just Tylenol and regular robitussin dm.

What also helped was tea, i usually just had plain ginger or peppermint with a ton of honey and some lemon, gargling with salt water, putting a humidifier in my room, and Vicks.
  • Options
    I have coughed so much I'm coughing up phlegm! I also totally peed a little last night as I was coughing! Wish there was a magic cure we could all take!
  • Options
    arosemong said:
    I have coughed so much I'm coughing up phlegm! I also totally peed a little last night as I was coughing! Wish there was a magic cure we could all take!
    Ugh me too!!  I find myself sick with something new practically every few weeks since my DS started preschool :-(
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Omg I have been coughing up mucus for over a week! Doc said its just a virus and I have to wait it out. We've been sleeping with our humidifier on and I take plain robitussin (guaifenesin) so I can sleep without waking up to cough constantly. It hasn't been fun, and it is now all settled into the right side of my throat/Eustachian tube/ear, but I'm feeling better and think it's on it's way out. I hope you all feel better soon!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I stocked up at our local organic store & bought lemons, ginger, apple cider vinegar (pasteurized)-- before anyone says it haha & more honey. I'm determined. But now I wish I woulda gotten some robutussin from behind counter at pharmacy! Hopefully this will work. Dear lawd, let a girl sleep tonight!
  • Options
    Tried everything under the sun & still coughing up crap. Although I did sleep more then an hour at a time last night so that's an improvement ! Anyone else?