April 2016 Moms
Options

Mixing Big Hairy Dogs and Babies- Is the hair and germs actually hazardous to the baby?

The question: How bad is dog slobber and dog hair for babies?

So.... I need input and would love to vent. 

I can barely stand it myself- but is the hair and germs actually hazardous to the baby? 

The vent: My SO is more in love with his dog than anything in the world. Even his other dog. Or myself. She is his "baby." Enough so that even he has admitted that he can only hope he loves the baby as much. Literally. She, the dog, used to sleep every night wrapped around him like a feather boa. Until I moved in and made a fuss when I couldn't sleep for two labs in the bed. In an attempt to compromise, we now cover the entire bed with an over-sized  sheet to try to keep the hair down to a minimum. (This came after I tried to sleep on the couch but couldn't and threatened to crowd the place with an air mattress. Notice, it wasn't that he didn't want me sleeping somewhere else, it was crowding the place with more stuff!) Anyway, the sheet doesn't protect from wet spots. Yes- wet spots! I swear I am not anti-dog, but I don't like the smell and the hair and the grit that comes along with it. YUCK! And forget being naked in it! I have to pick the dog hairs off of places there should never be dog hairs! 

I sweep and dust and clean diligently without complaining, but the bed was a steady fight until I just stopped. 

Yesterday we got a new couch. I actually thought how could sleep there if we can't fix the bed issue. It is a comfy micro-fiber beautiful couch. Or was. When I wake up today there are HUGE dark brown crispy spots from dog slobber and it is covered in hair. AAHHH!! Anyone know how to clean that?  

I don't want to be on the bed or couch now, much less my poor little baby. Honestly, I can take it, am I just being a germaphobe? Or is this as gross and as bad for my LO as it seems? How do you combine sweet, but stinky, dogs and babies?

Re: Mixing Big Hairy Dogs and Babies- Is the hair and germs actually hazardous to the baby?

• Options
    As for the couch, did they offer the option of spraying on the fabric protector? we got that on our microsuede couches, and they also gave us a cleaning solution that gets pretty much everything off really easily! As for the pet fur, it's a constant battle!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pinottoparenthood- Thanks! I guess I better brace myself.

The couch was a hand-me-down from is sister, so I don't know about the protector. But I will be watching for that spray.

Thanks!
  • Options
    imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited December 2015
    I have a big yellow Lab. She sheds. A LOT. To the point where I vacuum 1-3x per DAY. And my DD used to chew on the dog's toys. Aside from a cold here or there, and one case of HFM recently (which is something passed by people) she has really never been sick. So...don't stress.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My *intentions* are to vacuum as much as possible to battle the great war against dog hair..but realistically, i'll probably just put down a blanket and block the dogs away. Eventually baby is going to eat dog hair and get sneak frenchies from the dogs like I do on occasion. She'll live.
  • Options
    I had this problem when we had DD. The hair and slobber was a pain in the butt because it didnt matter how much i cleaned it was always back within 2 hours. Baby wipes helped clean the wet spots on the microfiber couch but in the end we just moved the love seat to our room for the dogs and that was their bed. Then got rid of the three seater and bought leather instead. We got lucky though because it was only $10 from DH's aunt who was moving.

As for being bad for baby, I too have seen studies that it's actually good for baby's immune system. While it will get everywhere, like LO clothes and blankets, those need washed after one days use anyways so it wasnt a huge deal. One thing that helped us was we had a nursery for DD even though she didnt sleep in there until she was 6 months old. We put a baby gate up and took the door down and we never let the dogs in there so we always had a room that was hair and slobber free for he when she started rolling over and crawling. Do you guys have a room you could keep the dogs out of? Even if it's not a nursery it might help you some and could be a compromise. If so I would suggest doing it now so the dogs get use to the fact that they can no longer be in that room.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Tkaiser- Great idea. We don't have a room for that now, but we will be moving within the next six months for sure. Yep, right around when the little guy gets here. Not ideal, but will make sure to get a "clean room" then. Thanks!
  • Options
    The hair thing can be really annoying. Our pediatrician didn't seem too concerned about doggy kisses, but i get the concern considering what they get into outside! Hasn't been an issue yet, and LO is two. Also Shark vacuum has been a miracle with hair.
  • Options
    DD1 has eaten things that the dogs have licked, has had dog fur in her mouth, has tried to chew on dog toys and she's super healthy. She's been sick twice in her life and she's 15months old. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

As a side note, a dry window squeegee is an easy way to get fur off of fabric couches.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @imrachellea I cringe to think of them sharing toys, but so glad to hear it here first so as to not panic when it happens. 

Looks like I will need to work on chilling out on this point. Thanks!

• Options
    @sprocketsngadgets- Great idea! Thanks!

• Options
    Maybe I can get a Shark on a good sale price.... i'll check the baby budget!
  • Options
    I have two large dogs but we don't allow them on the bed. They sleep on dog beds in our room though. The hair does get everywhere so we got this Dyson pet vacuum that works pretty well. One of the attachments helps with the dog hair stuck to the couch, but it's all very annoying. I love the dogs but sometimes I think I should someday not have dogs anymore and have a clean house instead.
  • Options
    There have definitely been studies showing that kids who grow up with furry pets, especially dogs, have healthier immune systems. It's pretty much guaranteed that puppy kisses and fur will not be even close to the most disgusting thing your kid puts in his or her mouth, so I wouldn't stress about it.
  • Options
    We have 2 large dogs that shed and lick everything. They're disgusting (in a loving pet type way). I've pretty much given up the cleaning fight. It's not worth it IMO. I'm not remotely concerned about DD and dog hair. Like people have said, they're more likely to have more developed immune systems. I've just come to accept that with pets you can't have nice things.
  • Options

I can sympathize.  We've had two labs in the time since having our first child.  One recently passed away and now we have a lab puppy (that's a whole different rant...).  Old dog's shedding wasn't too horrendous, but the slobber struggle was real.  I don't believe in any way that the dog hair and slobber is a significant health concern.  As others have said, it may actually be good for the immune system, and outside of the occasional colds and ear infections my kids have been pretty healthy.

That said, I hate, Hate, HATE the added dirt, grime, and quite frankly, work of having a dog in the house.  Especially a puppy (again, whole different rant).  And dog in the bed is one of my top issues.  If my husband had his way the dog would sleep with us every night.  But I've apparently thrown enough tantrums about that for him to back off on that issue.  Old dog slept in our room, and on the bed as often as he could get away with it (usually via a middle of the night sneak on).  New dog is crated in the kitchen at night.

However, at the end of the day I think it's the best decision for my kids to have a dog, and learn to live with and love animals.  So it's just one of many sacrifices I continue to make. Have I achieved sainthood yet?  :)

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    I have three dogs and I'm probably just like your SO to be honest. I adore them and my LO better measure up ;) I have air filters in every room and a roomba for the floor. I keep the AC filters changed VERY often, usually every 2-3 weeks, because as you know it gets in the air.
    If it's in your budget, the newer Roomba iRobot models can be set to auto vaccuum your house at a certain time every day to help with the hair as well, then go back to the charging station. They're expensive, but sometimes Craigslist has good used deals.

For the couch, what I have done is bought a giant baby gate to block off my living room and couch area. It's just an off-limits area for the dogs, though they are welcome to snuggle in the bed.
  • Options
    AEG84AEG84 member
    edited December 2015
    Yesssss, I'm with @Missingchampagne. A roomba is on my wishlist for the next year. We have two dogs, one short hair but spastic and messy, and one less messy but with insanely long, sheddy fur, and we just can't keep up even with the older kids helping with the floors.

Edited bc I can't spell today :/
  • Options
    Not the point of this thread, I realize, but you ladies have totally just talked me out of adopting a dog! Dh had them growing up, and has really wanted one again, but just nope. I am not up to this kind of mess. Thanks!
  • Options
    @mojomama6, it really does depend on the dog. With my older (furry) dog, it was quite manageable when it was just him. Yes, there was hair around, but it really wasn't that hard to maintain a clean house. With a smaller, calmer dog, it would be quite easy. If you do decide to reconsider, definitely look into local rescues, especially ones where most of the dogs live with foster families. They'll be able to steer you to a dog that will fit with your lifestyle much better than if you just picked a random dog from a shelter or pet store.
  • Options
    We have 3 small dogs, but the hair mess is still gross. I finally got a better vacuum with the pet brush attachment, and it's helped a lot.

I put my foot down with the dogs sleeping on the bed when I moved in with my DH. They like to sleep ON OUR PILLOWS and I'm just NOT ok with that. Effin gross.

Now they sleep on the floor, or on their dog bed, in our bedroom at night. They don't sneak up at night, because they know they'd get a whoopin' (ok, not a whoopin', but they'd be in big trouble)

As for the furniture, they're not allowed on it unless we call them up, so we don't have to clean it so much.

I intend to buy a baby gate / fence, to keep the dogs away from baby and her toys when she's very little. When she's older and mobile, that's a different story.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm scared of Roombas since I saw that story in the news about one getting stuck in a Korean lady's hair. What if it comes up to my dog when I am gone and gets stuck in his fur? That would be so sad.
  • Options
    Oh man, you guys, I love my dog, but I too hate the mess. She's a shedder, and she tends to blow her coat twice a year. We do use the FURemover broom on the furniture and rugs, since our microsuede couch is her favorite place to sit.  It's like a big squeegee with rubber bristles, and it knocks the hair off really easily. She's not much of a slobberer, so I've got nothing for you there. 

Can't wait for baby to come so I can train her to crawl back and forth in straight lines, like a live dust mop. 
  • Options
    @AGK2015, do I have a product for you!
  • Options
    @AEG84 - LOVE IT.  I definitely just added that to my baby wishlist (I'm not advanced enough yet to have a registry, but when I do....)
  • Options
    AEG84 said:

@AGK2015, do I have a product for you!

Is this real life?!? That is outstanding.
  • Options
    I was scared to read this thread at first. I thought it was going to be one of those "dogs have to go when baby comes" kind of deals. I'm so glad that everyone else loves their puppies and doesn't think dog hair is a medical crisis. I'll just refer all annoying family members to this post from now on.
  • Options
    mojomama6 said:
    Not the point of this thread, I realize, but you ladies have totally just talked me out of adopting a dog! Dh had them growing up, and has really wanted one again, but just nope. I am not up to this kind of mess. Thanks!
    You're smart. If I could go back in time and not get pets... OMG I would do it in a heartbeat. But I would never abandon them now that I have them... ugh!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016