3rd Trimester

Braxton-Hicks, any risks?

Sassa1988Sassa1988 member
edited December 2015 in 3rd Trimester
Hello,
First time posting! I've tried every which way to find an answer to my question on Google with no luck so I'm hoping someone here has some insight they can share! I'm 37 weeks pregnant, not high risk, 2cm dilated and baby is still floating. I have BH contrations almost every day but they are more concentrated while I'm at work. Since I'm a manager in retail, I'm on my feet and busy 95% of the time I'm on shift and it's not uncommon for me to not be able to rest or sit down during some very painful BH contractions and I'm worried that it might hurt the baby after too long. Should I be concerned?

Re: Braxton-Hicks, any risks?

• Braxton Hicks contractions are infrequent, usually happening no more than once or twice an hour, a few times a day. They often stop if you change activity, so, walk around if you've been sitting, and vice versa.
    They are usually irregular, and if they are regular they only stay that way for a short spell. They normally do not last long, usually less than a minute and continue to be unpredictable and non-rhythmic. They can be uncomfortable but they really don't last long. Whenever possible drink tons of water!! Lots of water and any possible relaxation helps them subside. I'm not sure if there's any "risks" with Braxton Hicks, that would be a question for your doctor. When is your next appointment? Maybe have a talk with your employer and let them know that you need to take More frequent breaks or possibly make your breaks a few minutes longer to help you be more productive? Not sure :-/
    I would definitely have a talk with your doctor though and see if there are any risks and other options to help prevent a bad case of BH. :smile:
  • I'm experiencing almost the same thing. i work as a waitress so I'm constantly on my feet at work. while on shift there isn't even a place for us to sit, unless i go sit outside with the smokers (which is obviously out). i get BH quite regularly at work & at home as well, especially if I'm laying on my back. however, mine haven't become painful yet. then again, I'm only at 26 weeks. i was starting to become concerned as well with the frequency on my BH contractions. my worries were put to rest though when i spoke to my doctor about it.
    i don't really have any advice i guess, apart from saying maybe speak with your OB as well if you are starting to become concerned about them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a similar concern especially since I am only 32 weeks. My midwife was not worried at all and just suggested I drink lots of water. I dont think frequent BH can hurt baby, as they are just your uterus preparing for labor. Labour contractions are much stronger and frequent and they do not hurt baby. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm 31 weeks on my 3rd and I have BH every day multiple times.  It's not going to hurt your baby.  Just get lots of water and you'll get through them I promise.  I know how uncomfortable they can be though.  You're so close to being done though!  Then they will be done too :)
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Just keep in mind that actual laboring contractions are much more intense than braxton hicks, so if those can't hurt the baby then braxton hicks definitely won't.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Yes, being on your feet can bring on intense BH contractions, but they will not hurt baby. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• There are no risks with BH contractions, they're a natural thing in response to fatigue, dehydration, babys position, full bladder etc. They're just uncomfortable for you. Try leaning forward during the particularly bad ones if you can, I've found this helps.
  • Thanks for the help everyone! :)