May 2016 Moms

Baby Gear Recommendation Thread

Re: Baby Gear Recommendation Thread

• mrstmoose said:
    I'm really here just to creep and get good ideas. 
    Creeper...

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • I just bought a pack n play with the newborn napper, and I was going to buy a bassinet because I didn't think about keeping the pack n play in our room.... But when baby sleeps there, do you keep the bassinet on the changing table in the pack and play? Or put baby on the floor? I apologize if it's a dumb question, I'm a FTM and just got a bunch of ideas from everyone!
  • mrstmoose said:

I'm really here just to creep and get good ideas. 

Are you stalking me??

cat fail animated GIF

• @kennedy0830 - The mamaroo was a really big waste of $ for us, unfortunately.  I ended up with a mamaroo, a RNP and a swing in the house.  Go figure!

image        image

• @kbrands7, now that I think of it, I don't even know if you could put the bassinet on the floor for a nap - would it roll to one side?  the bottom isn't flat-flat, from what I remember... (I can't remember).

DS would nap in the napper part when he was a newborn for 15 minutes here or there but I was only comfortable with it if I was in the same room and could keep my eye on him.  It would make me nervous otherwise. 

I never really got comfortable with the PNP as a place for him to sleep, tbh, even though I know other people really liked theirs.

image        image

• @lest12 You really couldn't. The actual large, bassinet has netting and rods that give it structure when it's attached-- it would be a flat mess on the floor. The changing table that some people use as a little bassinet isn't really rigid and only attaches on one side. It folds to one side if you try to just put it down on its own and leans a bit even when it's in the pack n' play, especially as baby nears the weight limit. When used as a bassinet, you'd need to prop it with pillows, or make some sort of box to hold it flat and steady. 

We have this one at home, but I really only got occasional use out of the napper, and rarely used the changing table bassinet. We used the heck out of the large bassinet and pack n' play itself-- and the mattress itself too. The actual pack n' play and mattress in this model is a little broader and firmer that the other pack n' plays which I like. My parents have a simple pack n' play/suspended bassinet style at their house that works fine for visits, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with a baby sleeping all night in it every night because the mattress doesn't flatten as securely and sort of creeps up in the middle.
  • This is the PNP that I have my eye on. It's a little more spendy, but it comes with a detachable bassinet, that has legs on it that are removeable, so it can go next to the bed or be set flat on the floor. It's the Graco Day2Nite system. Hoping the extra $$ will be worth it!

• Help! I'm a FTM but also incredibly ignorant when it comes to babies and baby gear (not a lot of geographically close friends with babies and no relatives with babies/no younger relatives). 

What's the difference between a rock n play and a pack n play? I've tried Googling but I'm getting a lot of pros and cons but without explaining the differences. 
  • Help! I'm a FTM but also incredibly ignorant when it comes to babies and baby gear (not a lot of geographically close friends with babies and no relatives with babies/no younger relatives). 

What's the difference between a rock n play and a pack n play? I've tried Googling but I'm getting a lot of pros and cons but without explaining the differences. 
    A rock and play is a little bouncer type seat for the baby to sit. They often make noise, rock, or vibrate to soothe baby.

A pack and play is basically like a portable crib/playpen.
  • kami09 said:
    Eek. I'm going to be that person. I understand that a lot of people use rock n plays for nighttime sleep, but it's just not the absolute safest option. I am a nut when it comes to what is recommended...so the best option would be a firm, flat surface. No/breathable bumpers, no blankets, stuffed animals, etc. We used the pack n play bassinet for a few months with DS and had absolutely no trouble transitioning him to crib when the time came. He was already used to sleeping flat on his back. 
    I was planning on using a RnP for sleeping next to my bed at the beginning, but now I'm worried.  Can babies nap in it, or no sleeping in it at all?  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone found a good glider? I'm all for the recliner gliders, but then looking at their cost, I've been a bit weary...

Anyone say yes to splurging on it (my sister says that is the one thing she wished she would've spent a bit more on) or just go with a basic rocker glider?
  • Anyone found a good glider? I'm all for the recliner gliders, but then looking at their cost, I've been a bit weary... Anyone say yes to splurging on it (my sister says that is the one thing she wished she would've spent a bit more on) or just go with a basic rocker glider?
    I had a fairly basic one from Walmart. It was awful. The foam went flat and caused numb butt. That being said, that only happened when we had to use it to replace a broken living room chair. When my DD was a baby, the chair was rarely used. I always just nursed her on the sofa and we didn't rock her to sleep.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• kami09kami09 member
    edited December 2015

kami09 said:

Eek. I'm going to be that person. I understand that a lot of people use rock n plays for nighttime sleep, but it's just not the absolute safest option. I am a nut when it comes to what is recommended...so the best option would be a firm, flat surface. No/breathable bumpers, no blankets, stuffed animals, etc. We used the pack n play bassinet for a few months with DS and had absolutely no trouble transitioning him to crib when the time came. He was already used to sleeping flat on his back. 

I was planning on using a RnP for sleeping next to my bed at the beginning, but now I'm worried.  Can babies nap in it, or no sleeping in it at all?  

-------(why isn't mobile blocking working?)-----
    I mainly used the pnp for all sleeping. Honestly, I've heard of so many babies who sleep like champs in the rnp at first...problem is- (other than not being completely safe)- they can't do that forever. Sometimes they have trouble adjusting to the crib. If he ever fell asleep in the rnp and I didn't want to move him,I would NOT leave the room .I may be overly cautious, but the reasons range from the padding on the sides to possible airway obstruction from the angle. (Which is also the reason I always took my sleeping baby out if the car seat when we got inside).

I know moms want sleep in the beginning, but to me, even the tiniest chance of something happening to my child while in the rnp was not worth it.
  • I need this thread in my life - I am so intimidated whenever I walk into the baby section at Target or browse online for this sort of stuff - so Thank you! 

My question: What would STMs (or more) think of as essential gear on day 1 of bringing home baby? Thanks! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have been living on this website https://www.babygearlab.com/ and reading all sorts of reviews on just about everything. I think it's really helpful but I am also a nerd that loves to do research :)
  • Anyone found a good glider? I'm all for the recliner gliders, but then looking at their cost, I've been a bit weary... Anyone say yes to splurging on it (my sister says that is the one thing she wished she would've spent a bit more on) or just go with a basic rocker glider?
    Toys R Us is having a big sale on them
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• kbrands7 said:

@missgenz Do you have one like this? https://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/pack-n-play-playard-with-newborn-napper-elite-vance.aspx If so, the bassinet is the large, flat surface that suspends/clicks into the top of the crib. You have to use it in the crib. 

The little flat surface is a changing table that clicks into the top (though I've heard of people rigging it for sleep-- I wouldn't do it in the pack n' play because it has a tendency to lean.) The little thing with the canopy is the napper. It can be used inside of the pack n' play because it clicks into place on the top. If you use it on the floor, it would be very low. We used this piece with my son as a place for him to hangout safely in the livingroom sometimes, but it's so padded that he rarely napped in it-- he could, but the extra padding made me uncomfortable. Like @kami09, I'm particular about baby being flat while sleeping, and also having the ability to safely turn his head from side to side without being inhibited by padding. 

I really hope this didn't come across as condescending. I wanted to break down the parts just in case anyone is considering getting one and hasn't seen it in person to see how it comes together.

@kbrands7, that was so look helpful!!!! Not condescending at all!!! I didn't realize the bassinet was the actual large flat surface, I thought that was the changing table, lmao. I thought the changing table was the bassinet, oops!! I haven't looked at the box at all but that makes so much sense. I knew it was a dumb question but thanks for breaking it down :)
  • I saw on the news this morning that it's recommended not to use crib bumpers. I'm a FTM and know none of these things, and I actually was adding bedding to my hidden registry yesterday. The article I found on them linked to another interesting Consumer Reports article about dangerous baby items, including not using a jogging stroller until the baby is at least 1 year old and can hold their head up better.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/13-dangerous-baby-products-to-avoid/index.htm
  • missnc77 said:
    I saw on the news this morning that it's recommended not to use crib bumpers. I'm a FTM and know none of these things, and I actually was adding bedding to my hidden registry yesterday. The article I found on them linked to another interesting Consumer Reports article about dangerous baby items, including not using a jogging stroller until the baby is at least 1 year old and can hold their head up better.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/13-dangerous-baby-products-to-avoid/index.htm
    I almost feel like that article shot down every baby item. Seriously, most of them are safe....when used properly. Which it did say in parts of the article. I know people who use crib tents to keep the cats out of the crib, not the climbing baby in.

Crib bumpers have been deemed unsafe for at least 4-5 years now. The jury is still out on the mesh ones. We didn't use anything and never really had issues with stuck legs/arms in the crib slats.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• This thread is exactly what this FTM needed! Everything is so overwhelming. But I've learned a lot already! Any recommendations for car seat? I'd prefer to get one that will last a long time.
  • Can we talk about baby carriers and slings? I am very interested in baby wearing and hope to try it as early as possible. Right not I'm looking at the LILLEbaby Complete carrier and hope to score a New Native sling, but I'm very open to suggestions/advice/anecdotes.

Any die-hard baby wearers out there? What are other FTMs looking at?

I decided to get different ones (all used on ebay / gumtree) to try and then see what works best for us and bub. 
    We got: 
    Ergo Carrier
    Mei Tai 
    Sling (no name) 

and I do want an Ktban Breeze wrap, as I live in the tropics. 

We can do trial and error and sell what won't work for us. 
    Oh, yes, and I am paranoid my baby will suffocate in any of those carrier. EEEK!

But I do want to wear my baby as much as i can, if possible. It seems so lovely and natural, and also practical :-)

• Great forum topic FTM here soaking up all the info. Any recommendations on strollers /car seats?
  • I'm a Graco snob for carseats. When DD was itty bitty we had one carrier and 2 bases since we have 2 cars. Sooo convenient and less expensive. Since then we've been given a carseat and have bought one but the first year the carrier with 2 bases was excellent.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• I have a diaper bag question... do you need something labeled "diaper bag" or will any bag do? Is there anything special about a diaper bag vs any other tote or purse?

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    I have a diaper bag question... do you need something labeled "diaper bag" or will any bag do? Is there anything special about a diaper bag vs any other tote or purse?

There are a few differences, but it depends on the diaper bag. Some have things like built-in changing pads, wipe dispensers, or insulated pockets. Generally, they have more inner pockets than a typical tote bag and have linings that are easily washable. That said, there are many bags that could easily be adapted to be a diaper bag, and I don't think all of the extras (likewise dispensers) are really necessary. Fwiw, I'm a big fan of the Vera Bradley diaper bags because of their organization and washability. They're expensive, but have great online sales.
  • kbrands7 said:

yogahh said:

I have a diaper bag question... do you need something labeled "diaper bag" or will any bag do? Is there anything special about a diaper bag vs any other tote or purse?

There are a few differences, but it depends on the diaper bag. Some have things like built-in changing pads, wipe dispensers, or insulated pockets. Generally, they have more inner pockets than a typical tote bag and have linings that are easily washable. That said, there are many bags that could easily be adapted to be a diaper bag, and I don't think all of the extras (likewise dispensers) are really necessary. Fwiw, I'm a big fan of the Vera Bradley diaper bags because of their organization and washability. They're expensive, but have great online sales.

I used a diaper bag for the first few months but found it didn't really work for me. Instead I've been using regular tote bags that I already owned pre-baby and using an organizer called tote savvy by life in play (https://lifeinplaycompany.com). There's a code on the site for $15 off. Cute bag plus baby stuff organized, everyone wins.
  • edited December 2015
    I used an expensive traditional diaper bag (great brand and one I registered for) but stopped when my husband got something that honestly better and switched to that. His was one color and mine another. https://www.dadgear.com/product-category/dad-diaper-backpack/ We both traveled with it extensively for years and both packs still work great.

As far as a swing not all babies even like swings.  My first didn't at all (and really didn't like any swings in general until toddlerhood).
  • edited December 2015
    As for baby wearing I recommend your local baby wearing club if you have one. They will let you try on things and really get a feel for what you like. I was surprised when the town next to mine had a really great baby wearing club. Didn't expect that but was so happy it did!

Otherwise in my experience wraps work best in general for newborns and ergo/tula's are wonderful after that.
  • Ditto what @AmmyBelle asked. Would love to hear from STMs about the few most essential items for after baby comes home. Thx!
  • Tags are not working....grrrr

Reclining gliders to me are a must if you want one. I spent so much time in mine. I wouldn't bother getting one if it didn't recline personally. I've seen actual recliners in nurseries too if the rocking part isn't a priority but comfort is.

I hated the infant car seats with the bases. I much preferred a convertible seat that would work from infant to booster. I baby wear in stores, so it's easier for me, and cheaper to just buy the one seat instead of having to buy several seats over the years.

I love love love my Schwinn jogging stroller. I used it till she was five years old....lol. Her legs are just now too long for it. But yes you have to wait to actually jog with a baby for several months till they have head control.... So keep that in mind.

I also bought a pricier lightweight stroller that reclines to flat. It can be used from infant to....well whenever :) the canopy can be rotated all the way down, and there's a water proof bunting attachment for if its raining to cover their feet. Love it!

I used a moby wrap for the infant stage and a Boba soft carrier up until she was three. Loved my Boba but I'm trying a different wrap this time around. Moby wraps are just so damn long :/

Bouncy seat was awesome but swings and jumpers weren't used enough to buy them again....

Big high chairs sucked. It was always in the way (we had small spaces). We're doing one that we can strap to a kitchen chair instead. Hopefully it will work much better.

For sleeping I'm getting a rigid cosleeper that can go in the bed with me. DH is deployed so I'll use his side of the bed, and we don't have space for anything to attach to the bed. At around three months we'll transition to a crib. DD slept in our bed....so I'm trying to be safer this time around.

Only truly necessary items for right say after the hospital is diapers, a way to feed the baby, safe ways to keep baby warm (swaddlers/receiving blankets), and a safe spot for baby to sleep/lay. Otherwise you can buy things as you need them....imho.

This was really long but hopefully helpful :)
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• yogahh said:

I used a larger but stylish tote/purse and had a separate cooler bag for bottles and cold items. I couldn't find a diaper bag that I liked at all!

• Tags are not working....grrrr Reclining gliders to me are a must if you want one. I spent so much time in mine. I wouldn't bother getting one if it didn't recline personally. I've seen actual recliners in nurseries too if the rocking part isn't a priority but comfort is. I hated the infant car seats with the bases. I much preferred a convertible seat that would work from infant to booster. I baby wear in stores, so it's easier for me, and cheaper to just buy the one seat instead of having to buy several seats over the years. I love love love my Schwinn jogging stroller. I used it till she was five years old....lol. Her legs are just now too long for it. But yes you have to wait to actually jog with a baby for several months till they have head control.... So keep that in mind. I also bought a pricier lightweight stroller that reclines to flat. It can be used from infant to....well whenever :) the canopy can be rotated all the way down, and there's a water proof bunting attachment for if its raining to cover their feet. Love it! I used a moby wrap for the infant stage and a Boba soft carrier up until she was three. Loved my Boba but I'm trying a different wrap this time around. Moby wraps are just so damn long :/ Bouncy seat was awesome but swings and jumpers weren't used enough to buy them again.... Big high chairs sucked. It was always in the way (we had small spaces). We're doing one that we can strap to a kitchen chair instead. Hopefully it will work much better. For sleeping I'm getting a rigid cosleeper that can go in the bed with me. DH is deployed so I'll use his side of the bed, and we don't have space for anything to attach to the bed. At around three months we'll transition to a crib. DD slept in our bed....so I'm trying to be safer this time around. Only truly necessary items for right say after the hospital is diapers, a way to feed the baby, safe ways to keep baby warm (swaddlers/receiving blankets), and a safe spot for baby to sleep/lay. Otherwise you can buy things as you need them....imho. This was really long but hopefully helpful :)
    Brilliant! Thanks! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This thread is exactly what this FTM needed! Everything is so overwhelming. But I've learned a lot already! Any recommendations for car seat? I'd prefer to get one that will last a long time.

I would go with a convertible car seat. They will last you the longest. Ours is an Evenflo Momentum DLX. It is huge, but so easy to install (like a minute tops) and you never have rethread the harness to fit baby.

• I'm still struggling with gliders - and maybe I'm looking too much into it.. I found one that was reasonably priced and had decent reviews, however the number one negative review was that you had to really kick in the foot rest to get it to go back upright. I'm imagining me breastfeeding my LO and then trying to get out of this recliner and it just ending horribly because I can't get the foot rest back in... I'd really love a reclining glider (I like the ones that look like an actual recliner versus a rocking chair), but I'm also looking for light gray and not $600.... Anyone have an actual brand/recommendation?? Thank you!!