April 2016 Moms
Options

Am I wrong to be upset? (Grandparents taking over!!)

2»

Re: Am I wrong to be upset? (Grandparents taking over!!)

• Options

I like how this is turning into if you can't afford to live on your own you have no rights to pick out anything for your child. To everyone being accusatory about their financial situation I'd like to ask how you'd feel if someone else always chose your clothes, and no matter what you said they kept buying them. You have the ability to buy your own clothes, but you're expected to accept the clothes from said fictitious person, and wear them instead of purchasing your own clothes. It shouldn't matter whether you like them or not, as long as you're covered, right? @Pinguinageddon I would be pissed in this situation too. I think it's terribly selfish of your MIL to take away part of the joy of being a first time mother, by disregarding your wishes, and expressed concerns over what you, the mother, have chosen for your child. Of course it would be easier to move out and do it your way, but I don't believe you have no rights in this situation simply because you are living with her. Unfortunately I do think you need to develop some tough skin and do what you know is best, even if it does piss her off. Your child, your decisions, not hers.
    It isn't a judgement about finances. It is about depending on another person and complaining that they do things you don't like.

I really, really don't want my mother or mother in law making decisions about my baby. And guess what? They won't. Why? Because I am not dependent on them in any way. I own my house and they don't live with me. But I would expect, that if I was having a child and could only afford to live with my MIL, that she would have some say in my decisions.

Also, her comments about her MIL "literally" not letting her son move out are slightly disturbing to me and indicate MUCH larger problems than a car seat she doesn't like. This is only the start of these kinds of problems, IMO.