Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Started cereal..

Had dd at dr on Tuesday for 4 month check up (she's actually 4 1/2 months). Dr said we could start cereal if we want to..we've been doing a little bit nightly since. It seems like more is coming back out than going in..I'm assuming this is normal until she learns how to get it to the back of her mouth and swallow it but wanted to see if others are doing the same thing?

Re: Started cereal..

• Options
    Same! Our ped said to start off trying 2x a day.. So I get a small amount ready, along with his bottle. After about 10 minutes of spoon-time( or whenever he gets frustrated at the pace of it) I just pour the rest in his bottle and switch it to a level 3 nipple so he can get it out of the bottle without clogging.

He's getting better at it! I'm amused at his face in regards to the spoon. Happy, yet confused as to why he can only eat what's on the spoon and not the spoon itself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds normal OP! Just keep trying
  • Options
    I didn't realize that was a choking hazard. As far as replacing nutrition he still gets a full bottle, I had just been adding the leftover cereal to the bottle. How is it a choking hazard from a bottle and not from a spoon? Not saying your wrong.. I'm a FTM and wasn't informed and apparently just didn't know.
  • Options
    massey25 said:
    I didn't realize that was a choking hazard. As far as replacing nutrition he still gets a full bottle, I had just been adding the leftover cereal to the bottle. How is it a choking hazard from a bottle and not from a spoon? Not saying your wrong.. I'm a FTM and wasn't informed and apparently just didn't know.

She is right, it is a choking hazard. Plus there isn't really a point in feeding your LO rice cereal since it has virtually no nutritional value.

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-sleep/

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't say she was wrong.. I simply asked HOW. It doesn't carry much value, certainly not like the breast milk it's mixed with, but is is fortified with vitamins
  • Options
    It's a choking hazard when baby is sucking it down with liquid using a large bore nipple. Baby eating off a spoon is going slowly and controlled. There is some nutrition if you make your own from brown rice but I would use more nutrition dense foods like mashed sweet potato until baby is eating a lot more.
  • Options
    It's a choking hazard when baby is sucking it down with liquid using a large bore nipple. Baby eating off a spoon is going slowly and controlled. There is some nutrition if you make your own from brown rice but I would use more nutrition dense foods like mashed sweet potato until baby is eating a lot more.
    This OP. I'm sure it's not that common for babies to choke but the warning is out there for a reason. Take it with a grain of salt ;)  but might as well just feed it from a spoon. I gave both my kids rice cereal for a week or so just to give them practice. It's not going to harm them, just isn't that super for them.
  • Options
    My pediatrician has me adding 3 tablespoons of oatmeal cereal to LO's bottle at each feeding. It isn't a thick mess and I am sure if it were just cereal it could be a choking issue but when mixed with formula I highly doubt my doctor would put little man at risk. He needed to gain weight and he was spitting up so it is simply to thicken the formula a little and add extra calories. LO gets 6 oz of formula at each feeding. So we aren't talking a thick mess.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Options
    I should add I am using a mid flow nipple and my guy still manages to eat in a quarter of the time it should take. Hence the spitting up.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012