Baby Showers

Etiquette opening gifts

Forgive me if this question has already been asked & answered, I tried to use the search bar but couldn't figure out the right key words to pull anything up.

I'm wondering if I should (or have someone do it for me) write down who gave me what as I'm opening gifts, that way I can more personalize thank you cards. That way I can say "thanks so much for the bottles" or whatever rather than just a standard thank you for everyone. I've been to showers where the mom to be kept track and also been to ones where she didn't. Just wondering what you guys thought was the more appropriate way to go.

Re: Etiquette opening gifts

• BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited December 2015
    Absolutely! Have someone do it for you.
  • Yes you can ask a host or close friend to help you with writing down the gifts and who gave them.
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely have someone do this for you. :)
  • I would find it very rude to receive a generalized thank you note from a shower. Definitely have someone make the list for you so you can thank people for their specific gift.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm' used to seeing one of the hosts doing this for the mom.  It's the norm as far as I'm concerned.
  • Yes. For my god daughters christening I got her a beautiful precious moments doll embroidered with her name. It was very elaborate but something she would always have. Also, a 500$ savings bond.
    I got a preprinted photo card in the mail 2 months later with "thank you for the gift" typed at the bottom. I was livid.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Corts said:

Yes. For my god daughters christening I got her a beautiful precious moments doll embroidered with her name. It was very elaborate but something she would always have. Also, a 500$ savings bond.
    I got a preprinted photo card in the mail 2 months later with "thank you for the gift" typed at the bottom. I was livid.

Gosh, how dare she??

OP you should definitely have someone help you with this! :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Joness11 said:
    Forgive me if this question has already been asked & answered, I tried to use the search bar but couldn't figure out the right key words to pull anything up. I'm wondering if I should (or have someone do it for me) write down who gave me what as I'm opening gifts, that way I can more personalize thank you cards. That way I can say "thanks so much for the bottles" or whatever rather than just a standard thank you for everyone. I've been to showers where the mom to be kept track and also been to ones where she didn't. Just wondering what you guys thought was the more appropriate way to go.
    All the showers I've been to, the honoree has someone sit next to her and write down the gifts as she opens them. If your hostess will be busy during that time. ask another close friend for their assistance.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • You can get stick on labels and have a friend write the persons name down and then stick it on the gift bag or box. Less writing for your friend and then when you go through all the gifts at home you can write thank you notes and make them very detailed (I.e. thank you for the pink blanket with flowers, instead of just blanket)
  • Every shower I've ever been to has had someone write what the gift was on the back of the greeting card, that way everything stays together.
  • Definitely have someone make a list or write on cards (we did that for my wedding presents)! My host arranged for someone to do it during present opening, so I would check with your host and see if there is already a plan. If not, bring a notepad and have a friend do it for you. I typed up the list so I could print it and cross it off as I wrote the thank you cards.
  • Thanks ladies! I'll definitely have one of my sisters make a list while I'm opening gifts or I do like the idea of writing the gift on the card. I agree with you all, a more personal thank you card instead of just a "form" card definitely seems more thoughtful and appreciative. Thanks!
  • Yes, this is standard. You can also take polaroid or digital pix with the items. Then label them.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Any shower that I host, I just consider it one of my jobs to write down what the guest of honor gets.