November 2015 Moms

baby's nails AW

Currently in hysterics because I clipped my baby's finger when cutting her nails. I had no idea you weren't supposed to use clippers on newborns. My SIL gave me some mini ones as part of a shower gift and LO's nails were outrageously long. I had tried to file them first but it didn't do much. The bleeding was minimal and I probably cried more than she did, but I feel horrible. Have any of you mom's done this? What is the best way to keep their nails short?

Re: baby's nails AW

• DH took a chunk out of our Lo's fingers the first time we tried to cut them. It bled for a decent amount of time. DH was more traumatized than Zeke was. And I knew it would likely happen - getting your baby's finger rather than the nail is a right of passage.

You can use clippers. We do. If filing doesn't work, use the clippers. I found it works best to hold the skin under their nail down and ensure you have just the nail before snipping. You can do it while your baby naps or feeds so he's calmer. Or do it while he's awake so he gets used to getting nails cut.
  • I bite Harleigh's nails. My mom and a nurse told me to do this. It works because you can feel where to stop! Probably not good to keep up once they are bigger but for now it beats accidentally cutting them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I bite DD's nails, too.
  • I file them. Im too chicken to try the clippers.
  • Lurking from Jan 16, but wanted to reassure you and say that my mom's best friend did this to me when I was a newborn... On every single finger! I can promise you it hasn't effected my mental well being and my fingers are totally normal :wink:
  • I've always been told to bite them, but DH thinks that biting them is outrageous.
  • I did this last week and still cry when I think about it. ..ugh
  • The only problem with biting them is that you get germs from your mouth all over their hands. My LO sucks on his hands/fingers all the time. Honestly I would rather deal with a little blood than a sick baby... But I guess if you clean their hands right after you're done then there are no worries
  • I use these based on the rave reviews I've heard. They're so easy to use and curved so you don't risk cutting babies fingers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DFO57M
  • I use these based on the rave reviews I've heard. They're so easy to use and curved so you don't risk cutting babies fingers.

^^^ I have baby nail scissors very similar to these and they are great. I clipped DS's finger when he was a few weeks old and I was devastated. I started using scissors after that and I still do now that he's 2yo.

Also, my midwife recommended biting baby's nails and I did it a couple of times, but I didn't really like doing it.

Thank you! I'm going to order a pair right now :)

• I don't think I could bite his nails
  • I cut his nails with scissors we got during our baby shower. My mom taught me how to do it. I cut them while he's asleep. I gently push the skin back with the scissors and clip the nail. This way I avoid cutting his fingertips. Because I can only cut a little bit at a time, I do his nails twice a week.

I use those on Keira to, after my first attempt with baby clippers ended in a nip I find the scissors easier to use.
  • I won't cut my kids nails cuz I have horrible eyesight (cataracts) my fiancé has always done it. He uses clippers but ours has a magnifying glass & he has great eyesight. So far we've had no clipped nails.
  • I bite Elliott's. They come off really easily
  • I usually push the skin under the nail with my fingernail to avoid cutting the skin. I've never cut Ellie's or Maddie's fingers but, Matthew's aunt did. I was mortified! I thought she's be scarred for life! In the end, it bled for like 3 seconds and no scar (surprise surprise ;) )
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker