Infertility

1st ivf slow responder !!

Hi ladies ! Any advice is much needed ! Today i had my 2nd scan to check the growth of my follicles , last scan thye wasnt growing very well so they upped my dose of menopur to 300 but they still havent responded very well at todays scans and they want me back wed and was advised to think about cancelling ?? I have waited 8 years for this (our 1st ivf) yes i am only 26years old but what is age when we all want the same thing
And i dont know what to do for the best ? The follies that i have now on day 10 of stims are 1x20mm , 1x16mm, 2x12mm and 10x10mm ?? Any suggestions please ..baby dust to all xxx

Re: 1st ivf slow responder !!

• I am so sorry to hear you are not responding! Fx you have better news after your appointment on Wednesday. I am sure it would be a really difficult decision to cancel but I guess you and you RE will just have to consider the cost/success ratio. I am not sure your insurance situation or you oop expenses but would you be ok paying for a full cycle knowing at best you would get only a few mature? Considering some of the mature may not even fertilize or may not be high quality. If you do cancel what has your doctor said about a plan for next time? Different meds/higher dose?
  • So the same thing happened to me, after our cycle the docs admitted that upping the dose even shortly after starting, rarely has much effect as the drugs need to catch the follicles at the very beginning of growth or something to that effect (its been a few years so the exact details are a bit foggy). Basically upping my dose didn't end up giving me any more eggs in the end (a few extras grew but empty).

It looks as though you only have 4 follicles. Unfortunately, not all follicles produce eggs, and not all eggs produce embryos. Perhaps you could switch to an IUI cycle?

I'm so sorry, how frustrating for you. And I hate this age thing... I was 27 when I did my first cycle and all the docs kept telling me was you're young, you'll get pregnant, you're young, you'll respond great. Its ridiculous. When you want to start a family and come across difficulties it hurts and is sad and scary no matter your age. I'm now 30 and feel the pressure of aging, and I know some older ladies too, but we're all in this together and heartache is heartache. I feel for you. Big hugs. 
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011
    Me: 32, DH: 32
    Diagnosis: Endometriosis

• 2012 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    • 2013 - 1 Fresh IVF with 2 day 3 embryos - BFN
    • 2014 - 1 Frozen IVF with 2 day 5 embryos - BFN
    • Took a long break, continuing trying naturally
    • Feb 2016 - Biopsy = Endo, DH sperm improved from 1% to 6% morphology
    • March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Sept 23rd - Lupron Depot Injection for Endo control
    • Nov 15th 2016 - Started daily Lupron Injections for upcoming FET
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • Dec 16th FET transfer of 3 embryos (1 - AA, 2 - BB)
    • TW below
    • Dec 22nd - first ever bfp (very faint lines FRER & cheapie)
    • Dec 27th Beta = 192, Dec 29th Beta = 379
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Follow along at http://liv4today.blog
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for ur replies ladies. They said they would consider putting me on short protocol instead, i am on long now but im not sure what the difference is.we have male infertility so iui wouldnt give us much chance i dont think ? Our clinic has never mentioned it to us. The age thing really gets me down when they say 'ur young, u got time on ur side' obviously theres problems other wise we wouldnt be going down this route, but its lovely to know im not the only one that was feeling this thank you oxinfree xx well iv relaxed and drank plenty of water and hot water bottle has not left my side so im still hanging on to the bit of.hope that they would of rapidly grown since monday :/ will let you know how i get on tmz, oxinfree how many rounds of ivf have u had if u dont mind me asking ? Xx
  • I've had 2 rounds only at this point. We took a long break as we didn't have the financial means to pursue a third round right away @daydreamer1989 ... so tried "naturally", then we moved, which was another financial setback so we're ramping up again for the new year. :) 
    We did 3 rounds of clomid before that but skipped IUI based on the male factor low morphology. Our doc said our chances with it were very low and suggested going straight to IVF and with the research I did, I agreed.

Never know... they could grow. Keep positive! When do you go back to see progress?
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011

• March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • TW below
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• We get 2 rounds on the nhs then we have to pay so very lucky with that atm but i dont want to waste 1 round if the odds are not great and at the same time we have come this far it feels like a waste to not proceed
  • Only half of my reply was posted for some reason , i am new to this chat forum so slowly trying to get the hang of it ... did u use short ir long protocol with ur 2 cycles u have had ? Bet u cant wait to get the ball going again in the new year xx
  • Oh absolutely dying to get going. Annoyed because we would have done the biopsy this month but it would land between the 24th and 27th likely so ya.... that's not gonna work haha. 

Only one cycle was fresh and it was a short protocol. 
    The frozen cycle also short? I believe... if thats a thing... it was a few years ago now (crazy to think that) so don't remember all the details. I know I was on gonal F and progesterone suppositories, baby aspirin etc. and then the frozen cycle did some kind of nasal spray if I'm remembering correctly. 

I believe long protocol just means they keep your body in a "menopause like state"  longer. The difference is just based on how your'e body is expected to respond to meds. Not sure why they'd switch you to short but certain theres a reason for it.

In terms of going ahead with it, I'd discuss your concerns openly with the doctor, and trust their guidance. If you cancel the cycle at this point does it not count as 1 of your inclusive 2?
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011

• TW below
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• Ah fingers crossed for you that it all goes smoothly for you and u get started early in the new year ! I had my final scan today and they advised me not to cancel because there was more growth again and i have got 4 good size follicles and maybe another 2 or 3 could reach by friday so all in all a much better scan than i thought but still a bit risky but i am just putting my trust in them , at the end of the day they have a better idea than me lol so EC is booked for 10am friday morning
  • I dont know why it isnt posting all my comment on here?? Lol as i was saying iv just taken my last burseline and menopur injections and have my trigger shot at 10.30pm tnite ..no it only counts as a go when i reach egg collection if i cancel before that i would still have 2 inclusives left x
  • I had a very similar situation. I'm 26 as well. My first cycle in August was canceled for poor response. So we were very aggressive on my last cycle, and used micro flare. It worked great! I got 15 eggs, 12 fertilized, and 10 5-day embryos. **ments** we transfered one perfect 4aa and I am now 7 weeks and 2 days. For me, it was better to cancel that first cycle despite the dissapointment.
  • @tennesseelove thats fab news that you have finally got ur bfp :) well we took a huge risk and went ahead with egg collection today thinking thatvwe may get 2 eggs , maybe 3 but we had 5 retrieved , which even though is still low its made me a bit more positive ! Im hoping that its the quality not the quantity with mine and i will get my bfp soon or even next cycle :) fingers crossed that they fertilise tonight now xx
  • Let us know how fertilization goes @daydreamer1989 !!!
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011

• TW below
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• They will ring us back tmz so will keep u updated @oxinfree , my fingers are crossed tightly :) x
  • @oxinfree we have had the phone call and out of the 5 eggs collected only 4 were useable , 2 fertilized but 1 was abnormal! So we only have 1 remaining fertilized egg.. the embryologist said hes happy with it and wants it to go back in on day 3 (monday) he said that he thinks we have got a good chance of pregnancy considering my age ect so after my tears i am a bit more hopefull that this 1 will make our peferct baby ! Fingers crossed its a long shot but i got to keep telling myself it only takes 1 and to be a bit more positive ! Hope ur well Xx
  • I'm so sorry @daydreamer1989 that you don't have more, but absolutely it only takes 1! Keep that positive attitude!!!! Also... try and stay as relaxed as possible, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. FX for a sticky one! xo
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011

• TW below
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• Thank you @oxinfree i am slowly going crazy wondering if its growing well and if it survives till tmz ..will keep u updated! I never thought this whole process would be so stressfull , i cant think about anything els atm x
  • Ya, that's really normal @daydreamer1989 ... the experience is unique in that you know there's an embryo there... just whether it attaches and sticks. So nerve wracking!!! Make sure DH is pampering you the next few weeks though :):):)
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011

• TW below
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• Yes the husband is being fantastic he even done the hoovering (which never happens) :) haha in a strange way its brought us closer even though i never thought that would be possible lol today has been the longest day ever today cant wait for 11am tmz till i know its survived and its back where it belongs ..then i got the dreaded 2ww , oh the joys of infertility !
  • @oxinfree just a update for you lovely ladies ! My lil embie pulled through and made it to transfer day and is finally in my womb , hopefully implanting itself in to its new home ! I am soo happy that we managed to even get this far after the rollercoaster ride we been on last few weeks but now its time to relax and hope for a sticky one :) any advice on what to do during my 2ww would be hugely appreciated xxx
  • haha... yea the dreaded 2ww... not much advice there. I can tell you to try and not think about it, and do things you enjoy to distract, but I know from experience no matter how hard I tried I was thinking about it pretty much 24/7. I did some meditating (which often led to falling asleep), and watched movies which I find a good distraction. So happy your embryo made it to transfer. FX for you! xx
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011

• TW below
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• @daydreamer1989 So awesome that Embie is now making itself comfortable in your new digs. I'm going in tomorrow for my transfer so I'll be with you in the 2WW... I don't know what I'm going to do after tomorrow to keep from pulling my hair out. 

*** Pregnancy & Miscarriage Mentioned***
    ME: 34/DH: 33
    TTC (On & Off) Since 2008
    Diagnosed DOR August 2013 
    2009-2013 6 Clomid Rounds which resulted in 3 Cysts/Had to take some time off from TTC
    10/2014 ~ BFP (Natural Pregnancy) after 3 months Acupuncture/Miscarriage at 10 wks
    7/2015 ~ Med Protocol#1: Failed Cycle/Only 1 Egg/Unable to convert to IUI because thin uterus lining
    08/2015 ~ Med Protocol #2: Started stims 09/13
    ER 10/9 with 6 Eggs Retrieved/3 SNOWFLAKES!!

10/22/15 ~ AF Showed up, waiting for Fibroid removal.
    10/28/15 ~ Saline Ultrasound - Fibroids were gone. FET scheduled for December 3rd!
    12/08/15 ~ FET of one hatching Embaby

12/21/15 ~ 13dp5dfet Beta 755! I'M PREGNANT!!!/ 
    12/23/15 ~15dp5dfet Beta 1539!

01/05/16 ~ 1st Ultrasound - 2 little beans and 2 Heartbeats (120 & 125 bpm)

My Fur Baby: Diva Celeste McClendon

• Thank you @oxinfree yea i think thats pretty much what i will be doing , today is going to be a day of bed rest then i will be taking long walks and eating plenty of pineapple (read it on other posts) im willing to try everything i can to help this process along !
    @ShayLatrice fingers crossed for your transfer do u have 1 or 2 embies? Thats brilliant that we are so close in this cycle , we can try and keep eachother from going insane
  • I have 3 embies and I'm only transferring one back. I'm hoping this is gonna be my one and only...I'm so nervous.

2009-2013 6 Clomid Rounds which resulted in 3 Cysts/Had to take some time off from TTC
    10/2014 ~ BFP (Natural Pregnancy) after 3 months Acupuncture/Miscarriage at 10 wks
    7/2015 ~ Med Protocol#1: Failed Cycle/Only 1 Egg/Unable to convert to IUI because thin uterus lining

10/28/15 ~ Saline Ultrasound - Fibroids were gone. FET scheduled for December 3rd!

• This is ur 1st cycle @ShayLatrice Are u having ivf or icsi ? The emotions i have gone through the past few days are unreal ! Try ur best to think positive, easier said than done after all i done is freek out ha.. what day transfer are u on? Day 3 or day 5 x
  • This is my first cycle, I had my ER back in October they got 6 eggs, got 3 fertilized with ICSI and all 3 made it to day 5. I had to freeze them all because my doctor wanted to address some cysts I had and now I'm going in for my FET. I'm kinda freaking out a little bit honestly...sitting here waiting on my RE to call me and tell me what time I'm coming in tomorrow. I'm hoping I have enough time to go to acupuncture before the FET to help me relax. 

• The waiting is the worst ! But from the sound of it you have very good embryos FX for you for tmz , let us know how you get off! Im going to have a hour kip i am exhausted today after all the stress of waiting and not knowing this weekend and the excitement today i am done in ! Keep us updated , praying you have a sticky 1 xx
  • Just got the call... I'm going in tomorrow at 11:30am and transfer will happen at 12:30pm. I mean I knew this day was coming... but something about getting the call and knowing what time embie will be in me... it is like wow... this is real. I thought coming to work today would help distract me, but now I can't even work. I can't even think straight...

• Ah thats brilliant news , such a exciting time for you :) will be thinking of you tmz , good luck x
  • @ShayLatrice good luck for today ☺ let us know how u get on xx