Blood flow ultrasound -update on what it is — The Bump
August 2016 Moms

Blood flow ultrasound -update on what it is

riveridgionalriveridgional
500 Love Its 500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Answers
member
edited December 2015 in August 2016 Moms
So, I had my beta testing today. I'm 4w3d and my beta is 1,075. My nurse said all my numbers are looking great, and I'm going back Thursday for more bloodwork and a blood flow ultrasound. Anyone have experience with this type of ultrasound and why the doctor would do it so early? I'll be just 1 day shy of 5 weeks when it's done. I'd assume if they were worried about something in particular, they'd let me know when they called today...
Married to DH 10/6/12
TTC since 5/14
Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"

Re: Blood flow ultrasound -update on what it is

  • XathXath
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Photogenic
    member
    edited November 2015
    I've had blood flow ultrasounds, but never this early. At the NT screening it can be used to scan for heart defects, but I don't have any clue what they'd see at 5 weeks.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @xath Yeah, I couldn't find anything on Dr. Google as to why it's being done so early. I have hypothyroidism (controlled with meds), so I'm starting to wonder if that may have anything to do with it. My dad and two brothers are doctors, and they have no clue either.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

    Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

    "Great Things are Happening"
  • Loading the player...
  • riveridgionalriveridgional
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Answers
    member
    edited December 2015
    @bsckgb7 I wouldn't think so. We'd be lucky to see the yolk sac from what I've read trying to research this online. The only thing I can think of is maybe it has more to do with seeing if my uterus is getting proper blood flow. I guess I "only" have to wait 2 full days to find out...
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

    Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

    "Great Things are Happening"
  • @xath Yeah, I couldn't find anything on Dr. Google as to why it's being done so early. I have hypothyroidism (controlled with meds), so I'm starting to wonder if that may have anything to do with it. My dad and two brothers are doctors, and they have no clue either.

    I don't think that's it. I'm hypothyroid too; for that you'll need a blood draw every month to check your antibody levels and adjust your medication. It can fluctuate a lot during pregnancy and they'll want to keep on top of it. I'd ask for a blood draw at your first appt. At 4 weeks my levels were already off enough to change my dosage by 25mcg.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congratulations!
    Me: 33 DH: 36
    Married: June 2013
    BFP- Nov 2015

    riveridgional
  • That's awesome! Thanks for the update.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    riveridgional
  • riveridgional - Just cuz I am trying to picture the scene.  Do they shove the wand up there and then you have to waddle off the table or do you stand and the then they shove it up like a tampon (in that case, wouldn't it be easier for you to shove it up)?  And how does it stay?  Is there a tech sitting on the floor??  Or is she hanging out under your gown?  Just trying to picture this and it's pretty commical to me!!
    XathKristin712WinchesterGirl
  • He gave chance of multiples based on beta?

    Im wonder for myself because my betas for this pregnancy are tracking higher than my previous twin pregnancy
  • ^^ I think River is an IF lady so that may have something to do with it
    ElizabethM30
  • @ElizabethM30, @bsckgb7 is right. I was in infertility treatments when I received my BFP, specifically injectables of the follicle stimulating hormone. This course of treatment has the highest rate of multiples of the infertility procedures. I knew going into ovulation this round that I had a 70% change of a singleton, 25% chance of twins and 5% chance of triplets or quads. I had 3-4 mature follicles at the time of ovulation. Since seeing my blood results, my reproductive endocrinologist told me today what my chances of various multiples are based on my estradiol numbers before ovulation, mature follicles, and HCG numbers from last week. I got my bloodwork back after posting my update, and my numbers increased from 1,075 at 4w2d (16dpo) to 3,150 at 4w5d (19dpo). I'm not sure how or if my newest beta result would sway the statistics he gave me today. My RE is a big statistics guy.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

    Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

    "Great Things are Happening"
    ElizabethM30
  • @ElizabethM30, @bsckgb7 is right. I was in infertility treatments when I received my BFP, specifically injectables of the follicle stimulating hormone. This course of treatment has the highest rate of multiples of the infertility procedures. I knew going into ovulation this round that I had a 70% change of a singleton, 25% chance of twins and 5% chance of triplets or quads. I had 3-4 mature follicles at the time of ovulation. Since seeing my blood results, my reproductive endocrinologist told me today what my chances of various multiples are based on my estradiol numbers before ovulation, mature follicles, and HCG numbers from last week. I got my bloodwork back after posting my update, and my numbers increased from 1,075 at 4w2d (16dpo) to 3,150 at 4w5d (19dpo). I'm not sure how or if my newest beta result would sway the statistics he gave me today. My RE is a big statistics guy.

    I became pregnant with twins with same treatment and similar beta's. I guess you find out soon. Best of luck!
    riveridgional
  • @riveridgional, I am laughing my butt off reading your description, because I know how uncomfortable you just have felt, and yet there is DH, just going for it. Mine would have done the same!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
    riveridgional
  • I totally needed that laugh!!!
    riveridgional
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards