High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Introduction, Graves Disease

Hi everyone, I've been a member of Trouble TTC for a while now, my DH and I had been trying for 15 months, after about 9 I was diagnosed with Graves disease, an autoimmune disease that attacks your thyroid and you produce too much thyroid hormone. This can be dangerous for a pregnancy and the medicine they give you comes with its own risks so we decided we would take a break for a while. I also have one tube completely blocked and DH has low motility.
So anyway, after being benched for 5 months or so we figured what the heck, I'd rather check of a few more no boxes than just sit here doing nothing. I then immediately changed my mind and decided that wasn't the responsible thing to do, we will just wait.
Well that what the heck round apparently worked, and I am pregnant! Of course I'm excited beyond words, but admittedly also scared shirtless because both my condition and it's Medicine can have complications, and guilty that I was being impatient and selfish and could have potentially put my child in danger.
I'm not the first woman to be pregnant with Graves and plenty have healthy children, but I'm definitely a worst case scenario kind of gal, haha
So that's me, my endocrinologist says we don't really have any choices, there's only one line of treatment at this point so if we can't change it, why worry about it. My husband agrees, but I figured I could probably gain more comfort from you ladies :)

Re: Introduction, Graves Disease

• Options
    I don't know anything about Grave's disease, except that my best friend dated a guy who lied about having it in college! But that's another story.. I don't think there's anything selfish about wanting to have a baby, though. I assume, aside from having that disease, that you're in a good place to raise a child. If you were trying before and didn't get pregnant, but are pregnant now then I would consider it a blessing. It's normal to worry, I've had a loss and will always be a nervous wreck now, but definitely don't feel selfish. I'm sure you'll do your best to have a healthy pregnancy and, like you said, you're not the first person to do it! Congratulations on your BFP!