September 2015 Moms

When do we start introducing cereal and fruits?

13 weeks here, when can we start introducing cereals and puréed foods?

Re: When do we start introducing cereal and fruits?

• my doctor says 6 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi said 4-6 months, but as late as 8 months if we are more comfortable, baby is healthy, etc.
  • My pedi says 4 months if she is sitting on her own with support and pushing up from her tummy with straight elbows. Ironically my lo is 11 weeks and doing both so we will be at 4.months. banana and avacado first.
  • I waited 6 months with DD1 and 4 months with DD2. This baby seems interested in food, opens her mouth when I'm eating and even swats at my food so I'm sure she'll enjoy eating at 4 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My pediatrician said at his four month appointment, we'd evaluate whether he should start then or wait till his six month appointment but like PPs said, 4 months seems to be the earliest anyone suggests.
  • Just my personal opinion but i would skip over rice cereal. It has no nutritional value. I'll be waiting till at least 6 months to introduce anything other than breastmilk/formula. They get everything they need from those and there's plenty of time for other food later.
  • edited December 2015
    I have WIC and those doctors very strictly say wait until 6 months. I've always heard 4-6 months otherwise though. I'm not going to start until my personal pediatrican gives me the go ahead. I'm so nervous to "mess up" his tummy but I can't wait to start feeding him real food. My mother blame my stomach troubles on feeding me too early. I was diagnosed with gerd at 5 years old, I have terrible acid reflux and IBS. My husband has Crohn's disease as well. My son is already set up for failure in the belly department so I really don't want to give him food too early
  • My daycare will not feed my lo anything but breast milk or formula until 6 months. My pediatrician said at the 4 month appointment that we would evaluate him. He sits very well with great head control now but seems to barely understand he has arms... so we will see! I read somewhere that the mouth and the stomach mature together and that if the baby has lost the tongue thrust reflex that it is safe to introduce solids. I plan to wait till my pediatrician checks him so I know he's ready. This is a highly debated subject I am proud of all of us for being so level headed with our responses!
  • shelbydd said:

Just my personal opinion but i would skip over rice cereal. It has no nutritional value. I'll be waiting till at least 6 months to introduce anything other than breastmilk/formula. They get everything they need from those and there's plenty of time for other food later.

This exactly. And I know FTMs get anxious for all the firsts but don't be in a hurry with food. For all the reasons stated above, plus their poop changes and gets much stinkier. I'll miss BM poop so much.
  • The World Health Organization recommends nothing but breastmilk until 6 months. If you are doing formula I expect the same 6 month recommendation would stand. I'll personally be using baby led weaning and skipping rice formula. Give it a Google and see if it is a good fit for your family :)
  • I feel so conflicted when it comes to this :( DD has pretty bad acid reflux and a milk allergy. She's on Nutramigen formula, takes Zantac for her reflux, and we hold her upright for at least 30 mins after every feed. That still wasn't working well so our ped has us putting rice cereal in her formula so she's able to keep it down. It's a tablespoon for every ounce and she eats 3-4 oz every feed. This amount exceeds the one serving recommended. Also the arsenic in the rice cereal scares me. I've tried the oatmeal for her but it just didn't work because it doesn't swell in her belly like the rice cereal does. I'm so scared she's going to have belly issues from eating solids too soon and/or something else happening from the arsenic! Ugh :(
  • On a small side tangent my husband thinks as soon as 4 months rolls around the baby will be eating and decreasing breast milk consumption (im an exclusive pumper due to many reasons and I only express so much you know and I am getting so concerned he will start to out pace my oz per day) and I'm like hun hes going to eat like a spoon full of food at each serving for a long while... hes over anxious for lo to eat and its irritating. I am really hoping my pediatrician says to wait a while before introducing because for some reason my husband actually listens to him
  • I've also been told 6 months at least. DS is already very interested in what I'm eating, so feeding him after a few months of him getting to understand food should be fun and well worth the wait! @BeachBabe22 we also plan to make our own baby food- partially because it sounds kinda fun, but mostly because we are poor haha. 

P.S. so glad things like EBF, cloth diapering and making baby food are "in" and have a lot of resources available, DH and I really have no choice but to do these things lol. Poor is making us trendy.
  • I'll be starting at 4 months. I'm the odd ball out but I'm going to start at 4 months and see how it goes
  • I have WIC too and will probably go with their six month guideline. I'm not really in a rush to start foods - it's just too easy pulling my breast out and feeding ;) plus we don't even have a high chair yet! @babynum1rr my boyfriend couldn't keep anything down when he was a baby - he even got down to four pounds when he was almost a nine pound baby! They had to mix rice cereal with his milk and he is absolutely fine. He's the most regular pooper I know and eats like a horse :D I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • I'm just so excited to start feeding her! I don't want to rush it, but just curious when most babies start trying foods. She has great head control and sits supported really well, she just doesn't push up with her arms yet. She's very curious about food, when we eat in front of her she starts smacking her mouth, sticking out her tongue and then chews her hand. Probably a bad mom thing but I will dip a clean finger into say mushed banana and let her taste it. She loves the banana and loves when I say banana haha.
  • I started my son at 4 months. I skipped jarred food completely and did real food. Started with smashed bananas, avocado, etc. and worked up to small pieces of other foods. He was more than ready. My daughter might be ready later. I think it really depends on each individual child.
  • @smiversen thank you for telling me that! It definitely makes me feel better! :)
  • My pedi told me start at 4 months due to a milk allergy. More food. Less milk. Special case though.
    I also started my first at 4 months because he was not satisfied with just milk. He's 3.5 now and perfectly fine. No allergies or intolerances.
  • We are also going to make all baby food for our son. I feel like using organic veggies/fruits, and me not adding anything to the mix, will give me a better understanding of what exactly I'm feeding our son. It will make us more comfortable and confident. Plus, it sounds fun!