Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Teething

3 month old baby girl is teething (poor kid!). How long does a typical stretch of teething last? Do you give Tylenol? She does well throughout the day but seems most uncomfortable at night (poor mom!).

Re: Teething

• It lasts until about 2 years old ;) I'm serious!

Tylenol or Motrin works for my kids. Call your Pedi to double check if you are concerned. Teething is usually worse at night.

• It lasts until about 2 years old ;) I'm serious!

Tylenol or Motrin works for my kids. Call your Pedi to double check if you are concerned. Teething is usually worse at night.

Do they still use that gel to numb baby gums? I am going to ask pedi at the 4 month appointment but I think mine is starting to teethe too. He's even gnawing while breastfeeding. ..ouch.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oragel and other gels are really discouraged bc of cases where the gel got on the back of babies throats and caused them to stop breathing/turn blue and worse! (Yikes!) there are tons of other teething rings, etc you can safely give LO. Mine love to just chew on a cold washcloth. I've also given Tylenol if they have spiked a little fever. Of course check w your pedi first and for dosing. Good luck!
  • EmJ628 said:
    Oragel and other gels are really discouraged bc of cases where the gel got on the back of babies throats and caused them to stop breathing/turn blue and worse! (Yikes!) there are tons of other teething rings, etc you can safely give LO. Mine love to just chew on a cold washcloth. I've also given Tylenol if they have spiked a little fever. Of course check w your pedi first and for dosing. Good luck!

This. Oragel freaks ME out when I've tried it in the past. I wouldn't want to put that in my kid's mouth.

My youngest child LOVES those Hyland teething tablets. She gets so excited when I shake the bottle and they actually seem to work. They are all natural and help with pain.

• How did babies ever survive the 1980s? The cribs and car seats were death traps, the cigarette smoke we inhaled and the numbing gel! Smh well I guess I should have known that, if the back of their throat gets numbed they can't manage their airways.
  • How did babies ever survive the 1980s? The cribs and car seats were death traps, the cigarette smoke we inhaled and the numbing gel! Smh well I guess I should have known that, if the back of their throat gets numbed they can't manage their airways.

No kidding right?!

I'm sure the warning for the numbing gel is simply because of a rare instance that a baby suffocated or something. I take all that crap with a grain of salt and then do what I feel is best ;)  

• Teething is tough! Our boys have been teething for weeks now, but still no teeth. They seem so uncomfortable...poor things. Our boys really like some of the teething toys that are out there. I put the ones with water/gel in the fridge and they seem to like the cold. These are the teething toys that they're currently enjoying, so hopefully they help your LO too! https://www.theydontfeedthemselves.com/early-teething-toys-twin-babies/

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• I could see it being possible if someone used way too much and baby was swallowing it and then aspirated while eating /drinking because of a numb throat. And I'm sure it's a freak thing. We're going to the pedi at the end of the month so I'll see if she thinks it's teething or he's just gnawing to self soothe