Let's hear them!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Opinions that are Unpopular

• Loading the player...
  • yodiggity said:
    sarahufl said:
    The whole "eating for two" or "I am pregnant, I eat what I want, so don't judge" thing really annoys me. You are not eating for 2 and you should not constantly shove food in your mouth just because you are pregnant. You should eat a relatively normal diet with added calories, but you should not eat all the time just because you are pregnant.

Being pregnant should not be an excuse to completely let yourself go.

I mean, I can do some damage to a pint of "The Tonight Dough", but I did that before I got pregnant.
  • yodiggity said:
    sarahufl said:
    The whole "eating for two" or "I am pregnant, I eat what I want, so don't judge" thing really annoys me. You are not eating for 2 and you should not constantly shove food in your mouth just because you are pregnant. You should eat a relatively normal diet with added calories, but you should not eat all the time just because you are pregnant.

I do agree though. I think it's ok to indulge some (especially since we're lucky enough to be pregnant through the best eating holidays. BUT why does everyone feel the need to comment about me getting seconds? I would've gotten seconds at thanksgiving anyway. Or why is everyone obsessed about whether I am craving weird foods? I eat weird foods anyway. 

I have an ULTRA-nosy co-worker who I have avoided telling I was pregnant till I just couldn't do it anymore. Yesterday, we had leftovers from a breakfast at work and she asked if I wanted to bring any back to my office. Then she was like "oh, but you can't eat carbs".

Um, why not? Don't monitor my diet. I didn't ask for your input and I can have all the carbs I want, so leave me alone.
  • sarahufl said:

I'm a constant grazer even when I'm not pregnant. I'm more health-conscious now than before I got pregnant because I can't exercise like I used to and I live in fear of looking pregnant a year after having the baby. But...I definitely made DH take me to sonic to get ice cream a few nights ago and I'm not sorry.
  • yodiggityyodiggity member
    edited December 2015
    imrachellea 
    My parents didn't tell us about Santa, the Easter bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc. One one hand, I see their point. They didn't want to lie to us throughout our childhood. Plus, there was never the disappointment of finding out "THE TRUTH".

Also, we were very poor growing up. Government cheese poor. I'm sure it was easier to explain to us why the kids at school got tons of gifts for xmas but we didn't even have a tree by telling us the truth and not using a fictitious character who only brings toys for good boys and girls. Xmas just wasn't a thing for us. Hell, my dad never put a tree up until he married my stepmom a few years ago. Now we celebrate "gift giving" (We're not religious folks) every year.

On the other hand, it's kind of lame looking back and not having the memories of believing. I'm sure we'll do the Santa thing with this LO because SO grew up that way but I'm not sure I'll push it much.
  • @sarahufl I totally agree. It bothers me when I see pregnant women engorging themselves with whatever they are "craving" and expecting others to cater to their every whim because they are pregnant. It's just what society has accepted as the norm and it's kind of ridiculous.

I guess my UO is that I think cravings (like you see pregnant women on movies, etc) are a myth and an excuse to pig out on whatever you want under the blanket of "oh I'm pregnant." I never had real cravings last or this pregnancy. I have wanted to eat some specific things here and there but that is no different than my normal life.

Me: 23 Hubby: 26
    Married: April 2011
    Son: May 2014
    Baby #2 Due: April 4th, 2016
  • UO #1 I hate smart phones. I have so many friends that are addicted to looking at their stupid phones 24/7 that they are missing out on the life going on around them. I took a friend out to dinner for her birthday earlier this year and she stared at her phone all the way through dinner. Now, I know I'm not that exciting, but seriously how rude can you possibly get? After that meal, I have decided that she isn't worth my time. 

UO #2 I HATE TEXTING! I hate it and will not look at or respond to any text that is ever sent to me. If you want to talk to me you can dial my number and actually use your voice to talk to me rather than waste my time. 
  • @imrachellea I was raised in a Christ only for Christmas household and my parents were kinda hateful about Santa. I remember writing a letter to him one year and my mom kept saying he wasn't real and that I'm wasting my time. They then went out of their way to not get me anything that was on that list. We'll def be doing Santa with our LO but not in a creepy HE IS EVERYTHING about Christmas kind of way...
  • I am currently going through the issue whether or not tell DD about Santa. My husband doesn't want to because we'd be lying to her that he exists and he thinks that would ruin her trust in us. I can see his point, but at the same time, I really loved my childhood thinking there is a Santa and it was really fun. I thought it was really neat he knew exactly everything I wanted and I would get it for Christmas. I didn't find out about Santa until the second grade from the kids at school. Then I asked my parents if that was true and they said yes. I was a little sad but we still did the Santa thing long after. My mom still put Santa on the gift tags up until I turned 30 lol

I want to offer that same experience with DD. However DD1 found out much sooner than I did from the neighborhood kids and then once she found out it was no longer fun to her, so I guess it depends on the person.

My UO: Adele's song is overrated. 

• I'm sure this isn't really an UO but I am sick to death of parenting advice, and warnings from everyone. Sending me links to posts about "what parenting is really like" and that post about "why my child is crying" is severely pissing me off. The more negativity you throw at me for this, the less I want you around me because it's not funny, and I'm terrified you'll be influencing my child to behave like that.

The other bitch about this is people telling me how I'm doomed to not have a "natural" childbirth because the pain is too real. And that I will fail at breastfeeding because I severely don't want to use a pump. Um, I'm going to be a SAHM, why the hell do I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE a pump? Women survived for thousands of years before breast pumps, and epidurals were a thing, why am I exclusively incapable of motherhood without either?
  • @knottie9983816 I think you need to tell them all to F off. I can't believe how the people in your life are being asshats just because you're a FTM.

• @rebelone They don't think they are being assholes, just being helpful, or funny. Ironically my mother, who has never supported anything I've done in my life, is the most supportive, and because of that I semi distrust it >.>
  • Let them know they're being assholes! I would be all over that.

• My sister's boyfriend is constantly saying, "Don't piss off the pregnant woman"... As if I wouldn't kill you if I weren't pregnant?? He annoys the ever loving shit out of me, always has.
  • imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited December 2015
    @knottie9983816 We won't "not" do Santa like my grandparents did, and there are Santas in our decorations at the house. I feel he is a symbol of the holidays, but I want my kids to know first the real reason for Christmas. We will not directly teach them about Santa, but we won't "preach" against him if they kids talk about it. If my kids ask me straight out if he's real, I'll be honest with them. But again, not going out of my way to make sure they DON'T believe.

And we definitely will be visiting him at Bass Pro, I'm hoping to get another gem of a picture of DD with Santa this year, last year's picture was hysterical and won us a prize...I'll see later if I can post it lol. (I know I'm all "no posting pictures of her face", but her face is pretty distorted in this one, so no biggie :wink:)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • emgee27emgee27 member
    edited December 2015

I'm sure this isn't really an UO but I am sick to death of parenting advice, and warnings from everyone. Sending me links to posts about "what parenting is really like" and that post about "why my child is crying" is severely pissing me off. The more negativity you throw at me for this, the less I want you around me because it's not funny, and I'm terrified you'll be influencing my child to behave like that.

The other bitch about this is people telling me how I'm doomed to not have a "natural" childbirth because the pain is too real. And that I will fail at breastfeeding because I severely don't want to use a pump. Um, I'm going to be a SAHM, why the hell do I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE a pump? Women survived for thousands of years before breast pumps, and epidurals were a thing, why am I exclusively incapable of motherhood without either?

All of this. My SIL is very removed from the family and emails us parenting links & videos all the time. While I appreciate the reaching out, I'd much rather SEE her at least once in a while, or hear that she went over to help/visit with her sick mom, or did ANYTHING that was remotely unselfish. Thanks, but no thanks for the advice, 30+ year old who doesn't have her $h!t together.

I'm planning to EBF (and from the source as much as possible) and also thought about no pump but I'm getting one to just have an emergency frozen stash & to leave some when family watches baby. But I can't tell you how many times I've said, "what do you think our ancestors in the jungle did???!!!" So much of the baby gear is a little silly to me.

I'm torn about Santa & have been thinking about it a lot. I had Santa but was raised religious. I do not practice any religion now as an adult, but what I don't like is the lying part. :neutral:
  • My UO...I can't stand steak.  Ever.  It's chewy and gross and just...YUCK!  Plus, they cost WAY too much!

imageimage
  • @imrachellea my parents told me about the tooth fairy and Santa when I was younger, trying to make me believe in it. But I was the kid who stayed up late to see if these mythical creatures were real or not. So I found out at a very young age that my parents were in fact, fibbers lol

I kept up the charade for them though because I thought I would get in trouble! Haha! The mind of a kid!
  • My UO is that I don't know if teaching children to believe in Santa Claus is the best idea.

Backstory: my grandparents went out of their way to not teach my mom about Santa because granddad was a pastor and they collectively felt that if they taught their kids to believe in something they could not see and found out he wasn't real, what what they later think about God? So my parents took a similar approach with us. We went to visit Santa Claus, watched the videos, even left cookies out for him Christmas Eve, but my parents never taught us to believe in a fat guy in a red suit delivering our presents. I feel we got the best of both worlds. We got to experience the "magic" of Christmas in that way, we understood the true meaning of Christmas, but we also knew who to thank when we were given gifts. I do not feel like I missed out on anything by "not" believing in Santa.

We will probably take the same approach. So we will not telling them things like "Oh, Santa is watching!" Or do the Elf on the Shelf, because I honestly feel like its a lie to the kids. Plus, I would hope that my kids will be taught properly and won't need that little niche at Christmas to get them to behave. But we will teach them the real meaning of Christmas, and that there are others who DO believe in Santa and it is not up to them to inform them of the truth. I never, as a kid, told my friends Santa wasn't real. It just wasn't a huge deal in my house, so it wasn't a big deal if my friends talked about it.
    We are doing something similar with the cliffnotes version being - St. Nicholas was a man who was helpful and generous because of his love for God. Santa is based on St. Nicholas, and different families celebrate his generosity in different ways. We celebrate Jesus' birth at Christmas by giving each other gifts and being (extra) generous with our time and money. Other people celebrate by being generous and telling different stories about Santa/St Nick. Both are fine - just different. Hopefully (with some reminders) this will keep DD and eventually DS from spoiling the surprise for classmates while not having the "tragic" there is no Santa conversation.

I definitely wasn't traumatized by learning about Santa, but I was one of the kids who cries for days and was upset that I had been lied to. No lasting issues but not something I want to put my kids through.
    Anniversary 
  • My UO...I can't stand steak.  Ever.  It's chewy and gross and just...YUCK!  Plus, they cost WAY too much!
    OMG GIRL MEDIUM RARE JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT. MMMMMMM *all caps for added emphasis*
    Blech!

• Country music is not music to me. It's noise.
    WHAT. Is this a Hawaii thing? ;)
  • @mrstrax Great way of explaining it and probably very similar to what we will do. I love learning about other cultures too, and I'd love to include something during advent season about how other countries celebrate Christmas (as well as the other holidays around the time) with the kids as they are able to understand and appreciate it. I feel that too many of my students today are so sheltered and don't know or understand about other traditions and I really want my kids to have knowledge and respect. Starting with something simple with how the idea of Santa came to be, and how he is known in other countries, is a great way to start teaching this to kids.
  • @imrachellea my parents told me about the tooth fairy and Santa when I was younger, trying to make me believe in it. But I was the kid who stayed up late to see if these mythical creatures were real or not. So I found out at a very young age that my parents were in fact, fibbers lol

I kept up the charade for them though because I thought I would get in trouble! Haha! The mind of a kid!

I did the same thing! My siblings are 17-12 years older than I am, so me pretending to believe in Santa kept Christmas fun for a bit longer, I guess. I also unwrapped all of the presents under the tree just to reward them when no one was watching. I wanted to be prepared in case I secretly hated something being exchanged!

My UO: I think Christmas is overrated and I'm bitter knowing the real reason for the season yet seeing people trample each other on Black Friday for cheap Christmas gifts. WTF, Christians? That's not Christ-like. I was raised with Catholicism shoved down my throat and Saturday will be my third time stepping foot in a church since turning 18, but even I see how backwards this practice is. We only indulge in traditional Christmas things because DH is a sucker for tradition.

Also, I think elf on a shelf is hilariously creepy, and if we started that tradition it would be solely for my entertainment.
  • imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited December 2015
    Just for you @AmadorRose :wink:
    I actually do not participate in Black Friday, it just isn't worth it to me. And I hate HATE the stores open on Thanksgiving now, I think its terrible and inconsiderate. Its bad enough when Friday rolls around. And I'm totally in agreement that there is a lot of hypocrisy surrounding Christmas, and I have been guilty of it myself. Now that we have DD (and DD2 next year) I'm trying very hard to plan things that will keep her focused on what the holiday is supposed to be about. One of my favorite books at Christmas is a kids chapter book called "A Paper Bag Christmas" by Kevin Alan Milne, and that is the whole premise of the book. I read it every year (an easy quick read). 
  • rebelonerebelone member
    edited December 2015
    I don't like Christmas. It actually stresses me out because I feel obligated to buy presents for family members and I have a huge family. Buying presents is always a financial strain and my huge family is always concerned on what they're getting for each other.

• I actually love Christmas, not for religious reasons but for the traditions. My dad absolutely LOVES giving gifts, so it has always been a really fun holiday, and it makes him SO happy to bring other people joy. I love the time spent with family just having fun, and the food, and the music and decorations.

I do hate that stores open on Thanksgiving. I'm a sucker for a good deal, but I didn't go shopping in stores until Saturday this year. Anything else I wanted, I bought online. So I guess sorry to the IT guys who have to work regardless of whether I shop online or not. And sorry to the guys at QT since I stopped to get coffee there on Thanksgiving. Everyone else, go spend some time with family or friends! Or even just with yourself and Netflix!
  • I agree sort of about country. I mean most of the newer stuff is total crap and isn't really country anymore. I like some old stuff though. And smart phones are damn annoying! I wish they were never invented. As for Santa, of course I will do Santa for my kid! It is fun! My husband's parents still have not backed down about Santa and still claim he's real even though their kids are like 30! :) I don't know about the religious conflict because I am not going to raise my kid to have religion, but I am pretty sure lots of Christians still do the Santa thing without destroying their kid's faith....
  • cmjenkies said:

UO #1 I hate smart phones. I have so many friends that are addicted to looking at their stupid phones 24/7 that they are missing out on the life going on around them. I took a friend out to dinner for her birthday earlier this year and she stared at her phone all the way through dinner. Now, I know I'm not that exciting, but seriously how rude can you possibly get? After that meal, I have decided that she isn't worth my time. 

UO #2 I HATE TEXTING! I hate it and will not look at or respond to any text that is ever sent to me. If you want to talk to me you can dial my number and actually use your voice to talk to me rather than waste my time. 
    And I HATE talking on the phone. **shudder**
    A good friend and I have this same hatred of talking on the phone so we dubbed it phone fright. Text/email all the way

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm actually not sure any of my kids really truly believe in Santa. We talk about him, and they all write Christmas letters to him via the family elf (a tradition going back a century or more on my mom's side). But we also talk a lot about the different cultural beliefs in Santa/St Nick/Kris Kringle etc, and other holiday traditions like Krampus, who will eat the naughty children. We're a Christian home, and have a Christmas themed family devotional every night before bed during December... But we also talk about how many of our Christian holiday symbols (Easter, too!) were actually appropriated from pagan belief systems. And we light candles and talk about Judaism during Hanukkah. My kids are going to grow up all super culturally sensitive, or confused AF. Haha! And for my 13 yo, who isn't sure she believes in anything right now, the kids have always gone shopping for donations to the homeless shelter with us, so they're aware we spend more on the homeless kids than on each other every year, because even if you're going to discount my religious belief system, kid, you're going to grow up to be a loving, giving human being anyway, and understand that no matter what you believe, this should be a season for thinking of others.

My uo: I think having a nursery is stupid, because I see no reason a kid needs it's own room. I think it's the poor person coming out in me. A part of me judges you when you post about the things you buy for your unborn babies... And then I get snippy with myself for being like that, because it's none of my business how you spend your money. I judge myself for having a car payment, too. I might need some therapy around this, haha.