August 2016 Moms
Options

Making More Milk This Time

Hey ladies! I was just wondering if anyone else is already taking supplements in hopes of having a better milk supply this time.
I had a baby last December and have a low supply, he still nurses even though I only make a few ounces a day.
Anyways, I'm taking insoiltol and alfalfa along with my parental to hopefully have a better supply this time.
Anyone doing something different or have any advice?

BFP 9/24/13 EDD 6/8/14 no HB at 1st U/S Stopped growing at 7 weeks D&C 11/01/13

Re: Making More Milk This Time

• Options
    Lurking from July*
    Coconut oil. Look into ways to incorporate it into your diet (uncooked). It's amazing for you and helps increase supply. I add it to tea,coffee,sweet potatoes, etc.
  • Options
    I love coconut oil in my coffee! My husband thinks it's gross but I love it!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Make sure you are getting enough calories and LOTS of water. Proper nutrition can only help. You may be making more than you think, as the baby will be more efficient than a pump. 

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • Options
    I have an awesome lactation consultant, I'm not sure if I ever had a full supply. My baby had a tongue and lip tie that was over looked by 3 different lactation consultants!! My nipples bled for 3 weeks! But I also struggle with insulin resistance which could also be a reason for low supply. Also I may have IGT but there are no tests to diagnose it, it's more of a rule out everything else thing. I was really hoping that there would be at least one other momma that can relate to low supply.

• Options
    I'm not going to take anything before LO gets here, but a few things I learned the first time around

1) drink water... and lots of it. 
    2) lactation cookies can do wonders (I'd be happy to share a few recipes I've found that I enjoyed)
    3) power pumping can help (I HATE the pump, but this worked well for me)
    4) Fenugreek and blessed thistle can work well when taken together (your pee may smell like syrup though!)
    5) the most important thing to remember-- the pump is not indicative of your supply. Some women don't respond well to a pump. Judge how it's going by the output of diapers from LO.

I hope this is helpful!
    July BMB 2016 July siggy challenge

• Options
    Great tips everyone! I could probably use some of these ideas now as I'm still nursing my 19 month old son and could probably use a boost on my supply.

I never liked using the pump...plus my son would not take a bottle, which made it extremely hard on me at times. I can barely get anything out these days with a pump. But luckily nursing has come pretty easy for me and my little guy so it's never been too big of a deal.
  • Options

Great tips everyone! I could probably use some of these ideas now as I'm still nursing my 19 month old son and could probably use a boost on my supply.

I never liked using the pump...plus my son would not take a bottle, which made it extremely hard on me at times. I can barely get anything out these days with a pump. But luckily nursing has come pretty easy for me and my little guy so it's never been too big of a deal.

FYI, pregnancy can change the taste of milk and some (not all) little ones will try to wean because of it. I didn't know this when I was KO with #2 and I let DS1 wean out of ignorance. :/
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    FYI, pregnancy can change the taste of milk and some (not all) little ones will try to wean because of it. I didn't know this when I was KO with #2 and I let DS1 wean out of ignorance. :/

I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know! I do plan on weaning him around two years old, so we only have a few more months left. But I'm betting that it won't be that easy as he really enjoys nursing. I just don't think I can nurse two at the same time.
  • Options
    Great tips everyone! I could probably use some of these ideas now as I'm still nursing my 19 month old son and could probably use a boost on my supply. I never liked using the pump...plus my son would not take a bottle, which made it extremely hard on me at times. I can barely get anything out these days with a pump. But luckily nursing has come pretty easy for me and my little guy so it's never been too big of a deal.
    Also, I *think* fenugreek is linked to uterine contractions.

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • Options
    Great tips everyone! I could probably use some of these ideas now as I'm still nursing my 19 month old son and could probably use a boost on my supply. I never liked using the pump...plus my son would not take a bottle, which made it extremely hard on me at times. I can barely get anything out these days with a pump. But luckily nursing has come pretty easy for me and my little guy so it's never been too big of a deal.
    Also, I *think* fenugreek is linked to uterine contractions.
    This I've found to be true. It's advised to not take during pregnancy (https://www.drugs.com/npp/fenugreek.html)
    My lactation consultant suggested this to me to help increase supply, but I was not pregnant at the time. Please wait until LO is born if you do decide to go this route! :)
    July BMB 2016 July siggy challenge