July 2016 Moms

Progesterone Question

Hello ladies! 

I am going to TRY and keep this short. :)

I come from an infertility background where they immediately put you on progesterone suppositories after ovulation, so that has always been the normal process for me. It was my understanding that with PCOS my body doesn't produce enough Progesterone on it's own. 

We got pregnant (on our own!) and lost the pregnancy early in September. We had a surprise BFP 10 days ago. Apparently we got pregnant just about 2 weeks after our miscarriage. I still cannot quite believe it happened! Two spontaneous pregnancies after 2.5 years of trying and treatments! 

At my first doctor's appointment I asked about getting put on a progesterone suppository to help support the pregnancy. I was concerned that lack of progesterone may have been a contributing factor to our early loss last time. She very bluntly told me that there is no studies to support that progesterone support can prevent miscarriage. She said they would test my HCG levels to help date the pregnancy and that was it. So we went back in 2 days later for our dating ultrasound and first real pregnancy appointment, I told the new doctor that I insisted on having my progesterone levels checked. We saw a heartbeat (YAY!) which we didn't ever get in the last pregnancy, but I was still concerned about the progesterone. 

I FINALLY got a call from the doctor today with the blood test results and my progesterone level was 15.3. They said the normal range for this point in pregnancy is 12.2 - 84, so my level was just fine. She said that they would like to see it over 20, so they are going to prescribe me the suppositories. So glad that I pushed for testing! 

So after all of that.... My question is - Should I be concerned that I am on the low side of normal? I am just so worried about miscarrying again and not knowing what is happening is so hard for me! 

Thanks in advance!
Me: 31 | DH: 37
Married January 12, 2013
TTC since July 2013
Fertility Treatments January 2014 - June 2015
Took a break to prepare for IVF
Surprise BFP - September 2015 - MMC at 6 weeks, 5 days
Another surprise BFP - November 2015 - EDD: July 8th! 

Re: Progesterone Question

• I know that progesterone levels fluctuate from day to day. I had an ob that gave me the same line about progesterone and refused to give it to me when my hcg was in limbo. I left them after that miscarriage because that didn't jive with how I wanted to be treated. So I understand the frustration.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't be concerned.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on progesterone because of bleeding ...she told me the reason was because it was a little low but mostly wanted my lining to double in case the bleeding is something important .... made the bleeding stop ...so I believe it does help with miscarriage
  • I had an early loss last cycle with lots of spotting, and when I happened I asked about progesterone because I have a short LP (7-9 days) and spotting during my LP as well. My OB said the same about that there was no conclusive evidence that it helps, but he said it wouldn't hurt either and prescribed it to be taken during LP.

I can't say whether or not it has helped, but things are progressing much more smoothly this time, which could just be coincidence. I also haven't had spotting since my bfp, which is the first time in 4 pregnancies I haven't spotted.
  • I had progesterone of 12.7 and because of my past early loss, I am also on progesterone suppositories. I'm trying not to worry until there is a reason to worry! Still within the normal range.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• My doctor still won't check my levels. He pretty much gave me oral progesterone supplements to shut me up. If its all I can get I guess we will see... But I also have pcos and it worries me. They told me if I got pregnant all my levels are good and I am not buying it. Just trying to stay hopeful, I don't want to lose this pregnancy. Glad I am not the only PCOSer on here. :)
  • I had my progesterone levels taken at 4 weeks due to a prior ectopic pregnancy a few months back. My level was at 11 then dropped to 9.5. My dr put me on the progesterone suppositories and I have been on them for almost 5 weeks now. Everything is fine. I had a dr appointment today and the little nugget was waving it's little arms. Have no fear you will be fine!
  • I am a PCOSer and battle low progesterone also. My high risk doc tried to brush me off about it but my OB was fine with running weekly labs and giving me supplements asap. I started them at 3w5d and am now 9w2d. I will stay on them till 12w and at 16w I start progesterone shots to help prevent PTL since my first was a preemie. If you have an intuition and want labs drawn, def push for them. It's not like it costs you or the doc any more time or money. What the doc said about progesterone is true, it will not prevent a miscarriage but if you are miscarrying solely due to low P, then yes the supplement will help support you and hopefully boost levels to sustain the pregnancy.
  • I had a miscarriage early this year and am pregnant again. I went into my doctor right away (like 3 weeks and 5 days preg ) and my progesterone was little low. They put me on the suppositories and I am now 9.5 weeks and things aRe going well. Idk if it's just because of the progesterone supplement but I so think it has helped.
  • Thank you all so much for your words of support and advice!

I am having a hard time relaxing and not worrying about every little thing after my last pregnancy.

Time to do some meditation. ;)
    Me: 31 | DH: 37
    Married January 12, 2013
    TTC since July 2013
    Fertility Treatments January 2014 - June 2015
    Took a break to prepare for IVF
    Surprise BFP - September 2015 - MMC at 6 weeks, 5 days
    Another surprise BFP - November 2015 - EDD: July 8th! 

• I totally understand where you're coming from! Frankly it sounds like you need to find a more educated and compassionate doctor, because that sounds really irresponsible and unprofessional to me. I've had 7 mcs and 2 kids, and now I'm 7w5d. My progesterone was 13.4, and because I have very short LP, my doctor is certain that low progesterone has been the culprit in my mcs. They put me on progesterone injections twice a week (every Tuesday and Friday) and I get labs done on Friday to see how much my progesterone has increased. The doctors and nurses both have told me that the shots have a very high success rate, so for your doctor to tell you it doesn't matter is BS. And while no, they don't "prevent miscarriage" (i.e. if something is wrong chromasomally with the baby, you will still miscarry) they do help SUSTAIN pregnancy, which means it helps your body remember it's pregnant so you don't lose the baby. I've learned so much during this pregnancy, I hope it helps!
  • Lurking from May.. Since ur starting the suppositories I wouldn't worry about your level. My progesterone was 7 when I got my bfp but since I had the suppositories I had no problems at all.
  • MrsPloehn said:

Thank you all so much for your words of support and advice!

I am having a hard time relaxing and not worrying about every little thing after my last pregnancy.

Time to do some meditation. ;)

Feel free to worry with the rest of us on the PGAL check-ins... Seriously though, being PGAL is freaking tough. If are able to completely relax please let me know. I'm so sorry for your loss. Like others have said, I too dropped my progesterone. I was down to less than 5 1/2 before they started me on suppositories. Levels vary and some doctors don't believe in progesterone support.
  • I agree with everyone here. I've read a whole bunch of studies and meta-analyses and although,yes, findings were deemed inconclusive and further research is necessary, all findings were generally positive with no negative effects. I've had 2 MC's and am currently 8 weeks 1 day. My fertility dr. put me on oral progesterone immediately after ovulation as I have a mild case of PCOS with low progesterone levels and uterine lining that was too thin to maintain a healthy pregnancy. I'm so happy I'm taking it now as this will hopefully be our first child and this is the furthest along I've ever been with no other issues. Oh, and one more thing:

Studies have shown that there really isn't a difference in effectiveness between oral and suppositories. So if you're not fond of putting things up your butt, ask for oral instead.
  • jcswetin said:

I agree with everyone here. I've read a whole bunch of studies and meta-analyses and although,yes, findings were deemed inconclusive and further research is necessary, all findings were generally positive with no negative effects. I've had 2 MC's and am currently 8 weeks 1 day. My fertility dr. put me on oral progesterone immediately after ovulation as I have a mild case of PCOS with low progesterone levels and uterine lining that was too thin to maintain a healthy pregnancy. I'm so happy I'm taking it now as this will hopefully be our first child and this is the furthest along I've ever been with no other issues. Oh, and one more thing:

Studies have shown that there really isn't a difference in effectiveness between oral and suppositories. So if you're not fond of putting things up your butt, ask for oral instead.

The suppositories are vaginal. Same concept?Most of us got here by this route though.
  • Ok, LOL, let me rephrase: if you're not fond if having to put pills up your vagina, you can opt for oral instead.