July 2015 Moms
Options

Help! (Non baby related)

We have 2 cats who have apparently recently started peeing on the carpet in my parent's basement. We are living here temporarily while remodeling our new house. I am mortified, as they have never gone anywhere but their litter boxes before. I was wondering if anyone had advice on 1. Finding where they went and 2. Preventing it from happening. I did speak with my vet and have since ordered a 3rd litter box. I have a black light on the way because I read you can see urine stains with one. I'm also afraid that when we move they are going to pee all over our new carpet... This is the last thing I need with a new baby!!

Re: Help! (Non baby related)

• Options
    Our cat has don't the same thing! If you find anything that works please share!!
  • Options
    Are they stressed? If there's been big changes they can get stressed which can cause this behavior. There's this stuff called feliway it comes in a spray or a plug in like the air fresheners. It's supposed to calm them. I used the plug in and it seemed to help some. It doesn't smell to us just the cats. U could find it online I'm sure. Other than that just make sure the boxes are clean and the littler is what they normally use. Mine get mad when the box is too dirty which happens sometimes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @juliekay25 when I talked to the vet he said the stressors are def all there..new house, new baby, etc, but what I don't understand is why it just started happening. We moved in here in May and baby came in July and they were fine til about a month ago. I will find that feliway and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    2 cats usually need 3 litter boxes.
    Moving.
    Stress, even just moving furniture around can stress out a cat.
    Sickness--bladder infections will typically cause them to go outside their box.
    Or their box is not clean enough for them.
  • Options
    Our cat does it when she has a UTI which cats get especially males.