March 2016 Moms
Options

Classes

Hey everyone! So DH and I are first time parents and we're trying to decide if we should do the Childbirth Preparation class offered by our hospital. I was just wondering if anyone could give us some advice on if the classes are typically really helpful or not so much. We are already scheduled for a tour of the Mother/Baby area of the hospital. I do plan to go through childbirth unmedicated, so idk if the class would help us learn some techniques for getting through the pain any better than advice I could find online. Thanks in advance!!
DS1 born 2/28/16
DS2 due 12/12/18

Re: Classes

• Options
    smushismushi member
    edited November 2015
    I thought our class was really helpful.  Ours definitely taught us some laboring techniques, as well as what specifically the hospital encourages.  ETA it also gave us good info on what happens at birth - skin to skin, what vaccinations are offered and for what, what paperwork to be prepared for, and general newborn care and feeding info.

Have you read any of Ina May's books on childbirth?  Considered any specific techniques or classes?  I'm thinking Hynobabies, Bradley Method, etc.. I know some areas have Bradley classes that last a few weeks.  Those are all things you might look into for laboring techniques and knowledge to go unmedicated.
  • Options
    We are first timers too. My OB strongly suggested that we take the newborn care classes. So we signed up for both labor and newborn classes. They get great reviews from people on the hospitals website for what it's worth.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found them to be overall a waste of time. More so than a waste of money. Someone earlier mentioned doing an online class--I think I would've liked that more.
  • Options
    I didn't take one and I'm glad I didn't. My labor went nothing as planned. I would invest in a child cpr class and possibly a breastfeeding class. If you do decide to do a breastfeeding class it is better to wait and do it with your baby.
  • Options
    I'm not taking a class for labour or anything like that. but I'm probably going to look into classes about actual baby care & stuff like that. i haven't been around a baby in 10yrs (when my little brother was born) so i dont really know what I'm doing..
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies!

@smushi I actually haven't read any books during pregnancy, but I took a parenting class a couple years ago at college and have kind of looked back through the book I had for that class. As for specific techniques, I really have no idea what options there are. I should probably do some more googling, haha.

Classes at our hospital are free to us since we plan to deliver there, so I won't have to worry about wasting money if we end up not enjoying the classes.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    CecilB93 said:
    Thanks for the advice ladies! @smushi I actually haven't read any books during pregnancy, but I took a parenting class a couple years ago at college and have kind of looked back through the book I had for that class. As for specific techniques, I really have no idea what options there are. I should probably do some more googling, haha. Classes at our hospital are free to us since we plan to deliver there, so I won't have to worry about wasting money if we end up not enjoying the classes.
    You'll definitely want to bone up on options so you can be as mentally prepared as possible :)
  • Options
    The class that was most worth it for me the first time around was a breastfeeding class. Even though I read a book on the topic, the class helped me become confident that I could do it. DH also enjoyed the class and he was the best support system to make it work. The newborn care class was ok but most of it was common sense imho.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I thought my class was helpful. Since it was taught by ld nurses at the hospital I was delivering and they have lots of information about procedures and options specific to the hospital. I'm not sure you can ever be too prepared.
  • Options
    We did one for our first son, and while a lot of it was information you can get online or elsewhere, I appreciated the hands-on techniques from the teacher. It also included infant CPR, which I think was invaluable, and tons of options for going through an un-medicated birth. She also dealt with how to cope with changes in your birth plan, because it may not go at all how you expected. Even if you end up having to have a c-section, there should be a lot of information to calm and carry you through.

Side note bonus: we met another couple we became extremely close to, and that friendship was worth the time! Double bonus: the teacher approached us privately and asked if we'd consider letting her be our birth coach. Not because we were hopeless at the class or anything (ha!), but because she wants to attend a certain number of live births per year so she's not just a "talking head" at the front of the class, and we really got along. It was like getting a free doula! She was great!
  • Options
    My dr didn't seem concerned one way or another if we sign up. My good friend is a nicu nurse and she said it would probably be a waste of time because nothing goes as planned. Actually a few friends said to just take the cpr class and that's it. I need to call the hospital this week and see what exactly they offer.
  • Options
    Our birthing class was a waste of $350 and time.  I definitely didn't use any of the techniques they went over and just listened to my body and what it needed me to do. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options

All of our classes are free through the hospital, whether we deliver there or not. We just did the "Baby Basics" course which covers things like swaddling, diaper changing, bath time, feeding, umbilical cord care, circumcision care, etc.

We have another class  on Postpartum Adjustments. Its description is: Parents return with their baby to share their recent and ongoing personal experience. Listen and ask questions to those presently going through the joys and challenges of life with a new baby. A Postnatal Educator will also share the physical, emotional and intellectual changes that occur postpartum, for both mom and dad.

There is a class on Baby financials - on how to prepare for the financial changes that will occur.

There is a class called "Boot camp for new dads" - This is a class in which "Veterans" (new fathers and their new babies) orient "rookies" (fathers-to-be) on the realities of fatherhood. "Rookies" will be invited back as "Veterans" after the birth of their baby.

We also have a 5 week prenatal class that is to help expectant mothers and labor partners prepare for birth.

There may be a few more classes, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. We are registered for all of them, and the one class we have already attended was  a very good eye opener for DH, and a good refresher course for me since it had been a while since any of my nephews or nieces have been that little.

I personally think that if the classes are offered, and they are free, why not attend. Worst case scenario you are out an hour or two of your time. Best Case scenario, you learn some new things and learn about new resources available to you. Maybe meet some new people and make a couple new friends as well.

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• Options
    Has anyone had the older sibling take a sibling class what ages are they appropriate for ? Is it worth it?
  • Options
    The breastfeeding class was ESSENTIAL for me and my husband. It was awesome for him specifically because it gave him a bunch of knowledge and armed him to be my advocate whenever I needed it. He encouraged me when I was struggling, and would walk into any new place (a friend's home, a restaurant, etc.) and immediately scout out a place for me to nurse, and bring me water, etc. It was good, empowering. 

We also took the infant CPR class, and that was amazing. 

I didn't make it to my birthing class (I was in labor at the time) but think I'll skip it this time around. I've heard that they aren't all that great, to be honest.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

This might belong in the stupid questions thread butttttt

For those of you recommending a breastfeeding class: Is this something you would recommend prior to birth or after?

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    I had watched my sister give birth 3 times, and that was enough education for me. Even after giving birth to dd1, I'm not sure how a class could have added to seeing my sister do it 3 times. I don't feel like not taking a class really affected me. They can't cover every situation. If I was a planned c section or high risk, that might change my mind, or if I was interested in a special technique, etc., which I'm not. I took a bf course and that wasn't helpful either. A on call lc would have been helpful. This time around I'm just doing a sibling class(shows dd1 around hospital where mom and dad will be going) and an intro meeting with hospital lc group- they host a moms nursing group and offer support pre and post birth. Car seat check is on my list also.
  • Options
    @flowerpower5838 Not a stupid question at all! I took my class beforehand. It was two nights and went into depth about the process of breastfeeding, proper latch (and how to check for one), nutrition, how to tell if baby is getting enough, etc. It was really detailed. Then, when my son was born, the lactation consultant came to see me at the hospital and we went through the items together. This was instrumental because I found out I have an inverted nipple (sorry if TMI, it's from a cat scratch which caused scarring when I was a little girl) so she fitted me for a nipple shield. If she hadn't been there I'm not sure what I would have done. 

She offered me ongoing classes and support, but for me it just clicked, so I was OK. I hope that helps!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @flowerpower5838 I did not take any bfing classes.  My recovery nurses in the hospital were amazing teachers and fortunately I did not need help thanks to how helpful they were.  Your hospital should have a lactation consultant on staff and you can request they come see you if you are having any issues after delivery (if you don't want to invest in a class).  The hospital I gave birth at also has a bfing club that meets either weekly or monthly and you can go get help, weigh baby to see how much you are outputting (they measure baby before a nursing session and after), and just an all-around support.  I'm not discouraging a bfing class, but if you don't want to take one, your hospital should have tons of resources.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Totally agree with @skruhmin on that one...our class was free, so we went for it. I didn't realize some places charge. Also, another great resource for BFing help are cloth diaper and green baby stores. We have a few in our area and they offer great free resources. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'd recommend everyone takes a CPR class that includes child/infant. You never know when you'll need it and you'll be glad you know what to do if an emergency comes! The one at Red Cross is now mostly online and is formatted like a computer game, so it's really pretty fun! You might save someone's life someday!
  • Options
    FlipFlop1025FlipFlop1025 member
    edited December 2015
    Katherine8908 
    I was 6 when my little brother was born. I took the big brother/big sister class at the hospital. I'm not sure if it was helpful in the sense that I learned valuable information, I can't remember what we did. But it DID make me feel special, more involved, and like being a big sister was the most important job in the world - for that feeling the class was worth every minute!  
  • Options
    I'd recommend everyone takes a CPR class that includes child/infant. You never know when you'll need it and you'll be glad you know what to do if an emergency comes! The one at Red Cross is now mostly online and is formatted like a computer game, so it's really pretty fun! You might save someone's life someday!
    Very good to know!  Thanks for the info!
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    The classes I took were kinda useless because I did so much research beforehand but you can never have too much education.
    I'm going to preface this with the fact tha I'm a huge BFing advocate but the class my health district offered was a bit akin to brainwashing. Only good things and only good facts and didn't really go into issues with low supply, low baby weight, issues that can arise or how to latch. I think discussing issues is important because they can arise and really throw a new mom for a loop "wow they didn't talk about this in class, BFing might not work for me".
    So study up a little bit of everything!